Hard splitter

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
rowdy

Hard splitter

Postby rowdy » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:16 am

Redacted for identifying information.

Thanks for the advice everyone. If you're hitting this thread late feel free to PM me.
Last edited by rowdy on Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

chargers21

Re: STATS

Postby chargers21 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:10 am

Congrats! Apply broadly throughout the t20 and the best school in the location you want to practice in. You will have a wildly unpredictable cycle. Someone from this cycle with a slightly higher gpa and the same LSAT is going to Berkeley I think, which would actually be a pretty solid option for you location wise. I'm looking forward to following your cycle!

P.S. you might want to edit your title so that it doesn't get copied like 50 times

Future Ex-Engineer

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:18 am

Agreed with chargers.

Apply broadly in the top 15-20. If you apply as soon as apps open, I bet there are a number of T13s that will take a chance/bite on an elite LSAT score

rpupkin

Re: Hard splitter

Postby rpupkin » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:23 am

Your GPA addendum won't make a difference, but your four years of work experience will help.

Apply broadly to the T20 + UW. Get into as many schools as you can (with as much scholarship aid as you can) and then worry about how your various goals/needs line up with your different options.

rowdy

Postby rowdy » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:25 am

chargers21 wrote:Congrats! Apply broadly throughout the t20 and the best school in the location you want to practice in. You will have a wildly unpredictable cycle. Someone from this cycle with a slightly higher gpa and the same LSAT is going to Berkeley I think, which would actually be a pretty solid option for you location wise. I'm looking forward to following your cycle!

P.S. you might want to edit your title so that it doesn't get copied like 50 times

Edited title, thank you.

I appreciate the advice. Do you know if there's a certain point where GPA is a straight-up disqualifier? T6?

I'm probably going to throw down a NU ED because that would be best case scenario I think, but it looks like they hold to regular decision if you're not above both medians.

rowdy

Postby rowdy » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:27 am

rpupkin wrote:Your GPA addendum won't make a difference, but your four years of work experience will help.

Apply broadly to the T20 + UW. Get into as many schools as you can (with as much scholarship aid as you can) and then worry about how your various goals/needs line up with your different options.

Thanks for answering. Same Q as for Chargers, is there a point (T6 or so?) where I'm just wasting my time applying with my GPA?

rowdy

Postby rowdy » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:32 am

Future Ex-Engineer wrote:Agreed with chargers.

Apply broadly in the top 15-20. If you apply as soon as apps open, I bet there are a number of T13s that will take a chance/bite on an elite LSAT score

Thanks, here's hoping.

chargers21

Postby chargers21 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:32 am

rowdy wrote:
chargers21 wrote:Congrats! Apply broadly throughout the t20 and the best school in the location you want to practice in. You will have a wildly unpredictable cycle. Someone from this cycle with a slightly higher gpa and the same LSAT is going to Berkeley I think, which would actually be a pretty solid option for you location wise. I'm looking forward to following your cycle!

Edited title, thank you.

I appreciate the advice. Do you know if there's a certain point where GPA is a straight-up disqualifier? T6?

I'm probably going to throw down a NU ED because that would be best case scenario I think, but it looks like they hold to regular decision if you're not above both medians.

Yeah, nothing bad can happen with the NU ED, so it's worth the shot. Columbia and NYU both seem possible, so I would definitely still apply to them. They both have taken high LSAT people with 3.1ish so I'd chance it if I were you. Openness to the options you get will likely be key

lstime

Postby lstime » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:34 am

You will most likely get most of your fees to apply waived so you might as well apply to all of those, even within the T6. Had a 177 and Columbia and NYU waived mine. Every T13 other than H/Y/S/Chicago waived it as well. Had around a 3.3 GPA and got waitlisted at almost every T13 and then got into one with money so there's definitely hope for super splitters.

rowdy

Postby rowdy » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:35 am

chargers21 wrote:
rowdy wrote:

Edited title, thank you.

Yeah, nothing bad can happen with the NU ED, so it's worth the shot. Columbia and NYU both seem possible, so I would definitely still apply to them. They both have taken high LSAT people with 3.1ish so I'd chance it if I were you. Openness to the options you get will likely be key

Yeah, I really can't afford to be locked in on a specific elite school.

Thank you for taking the time. Since you mentioned you're curious, I'll let you know how my cycle develops. Or hopefully post one of those "good problems" choosing threads 9-10 months from now.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:57 am

rowdy wrote:
rpupkin wrote:Your GPA addendum won't make a difference, but your four years of work experience will help.

Thanks for answering. Same Q as for Chargers, is there a point (T6 or so?) where I'm just wasting my time applying with my GPA?

I would apply to CLS, NYU, and Chi. There's a slim chance that you get into any of those, but still worth applying, imo.

rowdy

Postby rowdy » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:58 am

lstime wrote:You will most likely get most of your fees to apply waived so you might as well apply to all of those, even within the T6. Had a 177 and Columbia and NYU waived mine. Every T13 other than H/Y/S/Chicago waived it as well. Had around a 3.3 GPA and got waitlisted at almost every T13 and then got into one with money so there's definitely hope for super splitters.

Congratulations! Would you mind PM-ing me where you got in? Just because I'm curious.

Did you have to apply for fee waivers or did they give you them automatically after you got your score?

Did you apply really early in the cycle?

rowdy

Postby rowdy » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:58 pm

rpupkin wrote:
rowdy wrote:

I would apply to CLS, NYU, and Chi. There's a slim chance that you get into any of those, but still worth applying, imo.

That's good to know. I didn't think I was going to have a shot at UW so even having a slim chance at those schools is pretty crazy.

Thanks again for the advice.

lstime

Postby lstime » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:19 pm

rowdy wrote:
lstime wrote:You will most likely get most of your fees to apply waived so you might as well apply to all of those, even within the T6. Had a 177 and Columbia and NYU waived mine. Every T13 other than H/Y/S/Chicago waived it as well. Had around a 3.3 GPA and got waitlisted at almost every T13 and then got into one with money so there's definitely hope for super splitters.

Congratulations! Would you mind PM-ing me where you got in? Just because I'm curious.

Did you have to apply for fee waivers or did they give you them automatically after you got your score?

Did you apply really early in the cycle?

I believe the only school I needed to ask was UVA and you just send them an email with your LSAT score/GPA/LSAC # and they will waive it. Georgetown was the other school that originally didn't randomly send me a waiver and when I asked they denied my request- only school to do so.

And no I fucked up and applied extremely late in the cycle (~early February) because I was waiting for a December score-- so if the whole apply early and you will do better thing is true then I messed that up. Anecdotally, you can still apply late and have a decent cycle as a splitter although the process of waiting on waitlists can be nerve-racking.

Return to “What are my chances?”