Super splitter, looking at fringe t14

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
hegelexercises
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:46 am

Super splitter, looking at fringe t14

Postby hegelexercises » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:14 pm

Hi TLS,

I've done a fair bit of research and looked through MyLSN but wanted to ask you folks for some perspective as well given my super splitter status. Undergrad LSAC GPA is a 3.06, major GPA 3.87. I have a bit of a strange situation, as the primary reason for my low GPA is my first three semesters of college straight out of high school. I wasn't mentally prepared for school and ended up doing extremely poorly--multiple Ds and Fs--and dropped out and enlisted in the military. I was eventually medically discharged with a service-connected disability, and returned to school and had a clear and significant upward trend to bring my GPA over a 3.0, with the only hiccup being a semester I had to drop several courses, because of a medical issue related to my disability.

My LORs and softs I believe to be very strong, I won a number of undergraduate awards, I have one year of work experience in the startup community, and my LSAT is 173. I'm going to UChicago for an MA and hope that a high GPA will help show my improvement a bit more. My ultimate dream schools are Michigan and Northwestern, but I more realistically am shooting for UCLA/GULC range schools. What are my chances?

User avatar
AdieuCali
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:27 pm

Re: Super splitter, looking at fringe t14

Postby AdieuCali » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:33 pm

PM'd

Wipfelder
Posts: 726
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:26 am

Re: Super splitter, looking at fringe t14

Postby Wipfelder » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:51 pm

hegelexercises wrote:Hi TLS,

I've done a fair bit of research and looked through MyLSN but wanted to ask you folks for some perspective as well given my super splitter status. Undergrad LSAC GPA is a 3.06, major GPA 3.87. I have a bit of a strange situation, as the primary reason for my low GPA is my first three semesters of college straight out of high school. I wasn't mentally prepared for school and ended up doing extremely poorly--multiple Ds and Fs--and dropped out and enlisted in the military. I was eventually medically discharged with a service-connected disability, and returned to school and had a clear and significant upward trend to bring my GPA over a 3.0, with the only hiccup being a semester I had to drop several courses, because of a medical issue related to my disability.

My LORs and softs I believe to be very strong, I won a number of undergraduate awards, I have one year of work experience in the startup community, and my LSAT is 173. I'm going to UChicago for an MA and hope that a high GPA will help show my improvement a bit more. My ultimate dream schools are Michigan and Northwestern, but I more realistically am shooting for UCLA/GULC range schools. What are my chances?


Comrade,

You're probably in at NU and Michigan. And you'd probably get into at least one or two higher ranked schools. I don't think Harvard/S/Y are out of the picture either.

There is a fantastic veteran-led program that helps people work through the application process. They'd pair you up with someone who had your same stats/situation.

It is called Service 2 Schools. I highly recommend it. They have stupidly good access to admissions people, among other things.

Also, if you want to reach out to UCHI-based vets, or the NU Law's veterans association, just let me know, we got you.

RedPurpleBlue
Posts: 430
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:41 pm

Re: Super splitter, looking at fringe t14

Postby RedPurpleBlue » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:07 pm

Wipfelder wrote:
hegelexercises wrote:Hi TLS,

I've done a fair bit of research and looked through MyLSN but wanted to ask you folks for some perspective as well given my super splitter status. Undergrad LSAC GPA is a 3.06, major GPA 3.87. I have a bit of a strange situation, as the primary reason for my low GPA is my first three semesters of college straight out of high school. I wasn't mentally prepared for school and ended up doing extremely poorly--multiple Ds and Fs--and dropped out and enlisted in the military. I was eventually medically discharged with a service-connected disability, and returned to school and had a clear and significant upward trend to bring my GPA over a 3.0, with the only hiccup being a semester I had to drop several courses, because of a medical issue related to my disability.

My LORs and softs I believe to be very strong, I won a number of undergraduate awards, I have one year of work experience in the startup community, and my LSAT is 173. I'm going to UChicago for an MA and hope that a high GPA will help show my improvement a bit more. My ultimate dream schools are Michigan and Northwestern, but I more realistically am shooting for UCLA/GULC range schools. What are my chances?


Comrade,

You're probably in at NU and Michigan. And you'd probably get into at least one or two higher ranked schools. I don't think Harvard/S/Y are out of the picture either.

There is a fantastic veteran-led program that helps people work through the application process. They'd pair you up with someone who had your same stats/situation.

It is called Service 2 Schools. I highly recommend it. They have stupidly good access to admissions people, among other things.

Also, if you want to reach out to UCHI-based vets, or the NU Law's veterans association, just let me know, we got you.


HYS and most definitely out of the picture with OP's LSAC GPA.

User avatar
rpupkin
Posts: 5442
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: Super splitter, looking at fringe t14

Postby rpupkin » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:10 pm

hegelexercises wrote:My ultimate dream schools are Michigan and Northwestern, but I more realistically am shooting for UCLA/GULC range schools. What are my chances?

Likely in at NU. (In fact, I'd say you have a better chance at NU than UCLA). You also have a good shot at Michigan. Apply broadly, though.

Wipfelder
Posts: 726
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:26 am

Re: Super splitter, looking at fringe t14

Postby Wipfelder » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:43 pm

RedPurpleBlue wrote:
Wipfelder wrote:
hegelexercises wrote:Hi TLS,

I've done a fair bit of research and looked through MyLSN but wanted to ask you folks for some perspective as well given my super splitter status. Undergrad LSAC GPA is a 3.06, major GPA 3.87. I have a bit of a strange situation, as the primary reason for my low GPA is my first three semesters of college straight out of high school. I wasn't mentally prepared for school and ended up doing extremely poorly--multiple Ds and Fs--and dropped out and enlisted in the military. I was eventually medically discharged with a service-connected disability, and returned to school and had a clear and significant upward trend to bring my GPA over a 3.0, with the only hiccup being a semester I had to drop several courses, because of a medical issue related to my disability.

My LORs and softs I believe to be very strong, I won a number of undergraduate awards, I have one year of work experience in the startup community, and my LSAT is 173. I'm going to UChicago for an MA and hope that a high GPA will help show my improvement a bit more. My ultimate dream schools are Michigan and Northwestern, but I more realistically am shooting for UCLA/GULC range schools. What are my chances?


Comrade,

You're probably in at NU and Michigan. And you'd probably get into at least one or two higher ranked schools. I don't think Harvard/S/Y are out of the picture either.

There is a fantastic veteran-led program that helps people work through the application process. They'd pair you up with someone who had your same stats/situation.

It is called Service 2 Schools. I highly recommend it. They have stupidly good access to admissions people, among other things.

Also, if you want to reach out to UCHI-based vets, or the NU Law's veterans association, just let me know, we got you.


HYS and most definitely out of the picture with OP's LSAC GPA.


False. (Speaking anecdotally, based on friends with that GPA attending HYS)

User avatar
rpupkin
Posts: 5442
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: Super splitter, looking at fringe t14

Postby rpupkin » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:59 pm

Wipfelder wrote:
RedPurpleBlue wrote:
Wipfelder wrote:
hegelexercises wrote:Hi TLS,

I've done a fair bit of research and looked through MyLSN but wanted to ask you folks for some perspective as well given my super splitter status. Undergrad LSAC GPA is a 3.06, major GPA 3.87. I have a bit of a strange situation, as the primary reason for my low GPA is my first three semesters of college straight out of high school. I wasn't mentally prepared for school and ended up doing extremely poorly--multiple Ds and Fs--and dropped out and enlisted in the military. I was eventually medically discharged with a service-connected disability, and returned to school and had a clear and significant upward trend to bring my GPA over a 3.0, with the only hiccup being a semester I had to drop several courses, because of a medical issue related to my disability.

My LORs and softs I believe to be very strong, I won a number of undergraduate awards, I have one year of work experience in the startup community, and my LSAT is 173. I'm going to UChicago for an MA and hope that a high GPA will help show my improvement a bit more. My ultimate dream schools are Michigan and Northwestern, but I more realistically am shooting for UCLA/GULC range schools. What are my chances?


Comrade,

You're probably in at NU and Michigan. And you'd probably get into at least one or two higher ranked schools. I don't think Harvard/S/Y are out of the picture either.

There is a fantastic veteran-led program that helps people work through the application process. They'd pair you up with someone who had your same stats/situation.

It is called Service 2 Schools. I highly recommend it. They have stupidly good access to admissions people, among other things.

Also, if you want to reach out to UCHI-based vets, or the NU Law's veterans association, just let me know, we got you.


HYS and most definitely out of the picture with OP's LSAC GPA.


False. (Speaking anecdotally, based on friends with that GPA attending HYS)

Really? You have multiple friends attending Harvard, Yale, and Stanford with a 3.0x LSAC GPA? Or is the reality a little closer to this: "Well, actually it's just one friend at Harvard and I don't know his exact GPA but I think it's pretty low"?

User avatar
rowdy
Posts: 298
Joined: Mon May 08, 2017 1:16 pm

Re: Super splitter, looking at fringe t14

Postby rowdy » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:16 pm

Yeah, the lowest GPA admitted at Yale last year was 3.45. It was 3.21 at Chicago. I don't think H and S are admitting multiple candidates below that.

Wipfelder
Posts: 726
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:26 am

Re: Super splitter, looking at fringe t14

Postby Wipfelder » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:21 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Wipfelder wrote:
RedPurpleBlue wrote:
Wipfelder wrote:
hegelexercises wrote:Hi TLS,

I've done a fair bit of research and looked through MyLSN but wanted to ask you folks for some perspective as well given my super splitter status. Undergrad LSAC GPA is a 3.06, major GPA 3.87. I have a bit of a strange situation, as the primary reason for my low GPA is my first three semesters of college straight out of high school. I wasn't mentally prepared for school and ended up doing extremely poorly--multiple Ds and Fs--and dropped out and enlisted in the military. I was eventually medically discharged with a service-connected disability, and returned to school and had a clear and significant upward trend to bring my GPA over a 3.0, with the only hiccup being a semester I had to drop several courses, because of a medical issue related to my disability.

My LORs and softs I believe to be very strong, I won a number of undergraduate awards, I have one year of work experience in the startup community, and my LSAT is 173. I'm going to UChicago for an MA and hope that a high GPA will help show my improvement a bit more. My ultimate dream schools are Michigan and Northwestern, but I more realistically am shooting for UCLA/GULC range schools. What are my chances?


Comrade,

You're probably in at NU and Michigan. And you'd probably get into at least one or two higher ranked schools. I don't think Harvard/S/Y are out of the picture either.

There is a fantastic veteran-led program that helps people work through the application process. They'd pair you up with someone who had your same stats/situation.

It is called Service 2 Schools. I highly recommend it. They have stupidly good access to admissions people, among other things.

Also, if you want to reach out to UCHI-based vets, or the NU Law's veterans association, just let me know, we got you.


HYS and most definitely out of the picture with OP's LSAC GPA.


False. (Speaking anecdotally, based on friends with that GPA attending HYS)

Really? You have multiple friends attending Harvard, Yale, and Stanford with a 3.0x LSAC GPA? Or is the reality a little closer to this: "Well, actually it's just one friend at Harvard and I don't know his exact GPA but I think it's pretty low"?


My statement wasn't wholly accurate: attend/attended HYS. But also, didn't see their LSAC GPA for myself, so this is second hand.

If you are a decorated veteran (especially from a service academy) with a 3.0+ GPA and a 170's LSAT you have a shot at HYS.

cavalier1138
Posts: 4266
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: Super splitter, looking at fringe t14

Postby cavalier1138 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:17 am

Wipfelder wrote:My statement wasn't wholly accurate: attend/attended HYS. But also, didn't see their LSAC GPA for myself, so this is second hand.

If you are a decorated veteran (especially from a service academy) with a 3.0+ GPA and a 170's LSAT you have a shot at HYS.


So in other words, you're kind of guessing. And as pointed out, the actual released numbers say that you're wrong. HYS all have pretty strict GPA floors and almost never favor splitters.

sanzgo
Posts: 79
Joined: Wed May 10, 2017 11:14 am

Re: Super splitter, looking at fringe t14

Postby sanzgo » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:16 am

Wipfelder wrote:
RedPurpleBlue wrote:
Wipfelder wrote:
hegelexercises wrote:Hi TLS,

I've done a fair bit of research and looked through MyLSN but wanted to ask you folks for some perspective as well given my super splitter status. Undergrad LSAC GPA is a 3.06, major GPA 3.87. I have a bit of a strange situation, as the primary reason for my low GPA is my first three semesters of college straight out of high school. I wasn't mentally prepared for school and ended up doing extremely poorly--multiple Ds and Fs--and dropped out and enlisted in the military. I was eventually medically discharged with a service-connected disability, and returned to school and had a clear and significant upward trend to bring my GPA over a 3.0, with the only hiccup being a semester I had to drop several courses, because of a medical issue related to my disability.

My LORs and softs I believe to be very strong, I won a number of undergraduate awards, I have one year of work experience in the startup community, and my LSAT is 173. I'm going to UChicago for an MA and hope that a high GPA will help show my improvement a bit more. My ultimate dream schools are Michigan and Northwestern, but I more realistically am shooting for UCLA/GULC range schools. What are my chances?


Comrade,

You're probably in at NU and Michigan. And you'd probably get into at least one or two higher ranked schools. I don't think Harvard/S/Y are out of the picture either.

There is a fantastic veteran-led program that helps people work through the application process. They'd pair you up with someone who had your same stats/situation.

It is called Service 2 Schools. I highly recommend it. They have stupidly good access to admissions people, among other things.

Also, if you want to reach out to UCHI-based vets, or the NU Law's veterans association, just let me know, we got you.


HYS and most definitely out of the picture with OP's LSAC GPA.


False. (Speaking anecdotally, based on friends with that GPA attending HYS)


False. I'd rather believe official numbers released by HYS than some random TLS user's anecdote.

That being said, you have a pretty good chance nabbing a T-14 given your stats + we.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ChoboPie, Google [Bot], PurpleOkapi, SmokeytheBear, Yahoo [Bot] and 3 guests