What are my chances at NYU?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
corporatemandaorbust
Posts: 71
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:12 pm

What are my chances at NYU?

Postby corporatemandaorbust » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:16 pm

Profile:
Top 25 Undergrad
3.8 GPA
Top 15 MBA in Finance
Three Year's of Corporate Work Experience in NYC

However, LSAT Diagnostics are in low 150's. If I apply ED and am willing to take the test three times, what are my chances of NYU?

cavalier1138
Posts: 4628
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: What are my chances at NYU?

Postby cavalier1138 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:26 pm

Without an LSAT, your chances are zero.

User avatar
UVA2B
Posts: 3088
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 10:48 pm

Re: What are my chances at NYU?

Postby UVA2B » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:30 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:Without an LSAT, your chances are zero.

grades??
Posts: 984
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:55 pm

Re: What are my chances at NYU?

Postby grades?? » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:33 pm

UVA2B wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:Without an LSAT, your chances are zero.

corporatemandaorbust
Posts: 71
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:12 pm

Re: What are my chances at NYU?

Postby corporatemandaorbust » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:08 pm

What is the lowest LSAT I need that still gives me a decent shot?

User avatar
UVA2B
Posts: 3088
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 10:48 pm

Re: What are my chances at NYU?

Postby UVA2B » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:20 pm

corporatemandaorbust wrote:What is the lowest LSAT I need that still gives me a decent shot?


Play around on http://mylsn.info to figure this out for yourself. But don't frame your mindset this way looking for the minimum required. Study hard using the study guides in the LSAT prep forum (http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=6) to maximize your options and get the most scholarship money. Don't look for the minimum required; look for your own maximum, and go from there.

User avatar
Nebby
amateur huffpo
Posts: 30458
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: What are my chances at NYU?

Postby Nebby » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:31 pm

169

cavalier1138
Posts: 4628
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: What are my chances at NYU?

Postby cavalier1138 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:31 pm

Also, don't plan on applying ED. It doesn't increase your chances of admission, but it does increase your chances of paying sticker.

corporatemandaorbust
Posts: 71
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:12 pm

Re: What are my chances at NYU?

Postby corporatemandaorbust » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:05 pm

Nebby wrote:169


Really? I've heard 166 would do

User avatar
guynourmin
Posts: 3426
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:42 pm

Re: What are my chances at NYU?

Postby guynourmin » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:24 pm

corporatemandaorbust wrote:
Nebby wrote:169


Really? I've heard 166 would do


you have a median (maybe slightly below median) gpa. You shouldn't feel comfortable applying with a below median lsat. you could get in with a 3.8/166. You could be denied with a 3.8/166/perfect PS, lors, etc, and no one would be surprised.

Why do you want the minimum lsat required? why not just do as well as you can and see where that gets you? why say you're willing to take the slat 3 times instead of saying you're willing to put in the work? your mind is in the wrong place right now. head over to the lsat forum

User avatar
Nebby
amateur huffpo
Posts: 30458
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: What are my chances at NYU?

Postby Nebby » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:25 pm

corporatemandaorbust wrote:
Nebby wrote:169


Really? I've heard 166 would do

You asked for decent shot not snowball's chance :P

corporatemandaorbust
Posts: 71
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:12 pm

Re: What are my chances at NYU?

Postby corporatemandaorbust » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:51 pm

Yeah I get what you guys are saying it's just I only got a 640 on SAT Verbal and 600 on SAT writing so idk if my natural intelligence will allow me to get a 169 even if I bust my butt. Not to mention I'm a few years out of undergrad so probably not as sharp as I was and a bit less time to study with a full-time job

RedPurpleBlue
Posts: 453
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:41 pm

Re: What are my chances at NYU?

Postby RedPurpleBlue » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:16 pm

corporatemandaorbust wrote:Yeah I get what you guys are saying it's just I only got a 640 on SAT Verbal and 600 on SAT writing so idk if my natural intelligence will allow me to get a 169 even if I bust my butt. Not to mention I'm a few years out of undergrad so probably not as sharp as I was and a bit less time to study with a full-time job


The LSAT isn't remotely about natural intelligence. It's about learning how to play three different types of very predictable games for a few hours. It's a very learnable test. If you have a 3.85, you should have no problem if you sit down and study hard.

corporatemandaorbust
Posts: 71
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:12 pm

Re: What are my chances at NYU?

Postby corporatemandaorbust » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:40 pm

RedPurpleBlue wrote:
corporatemandaorbust wrote:Yeah I get what you guys are saying it's just I only got a 640 on SAT Verbal and 600 on SAT writing so idk if my natural intelligence will allow me to get a 169 even if I bust my butt. Not to mention I'm a few years out of undergrad so probably not as sharp as I was and a bit less time to study with a full-time job


The LSAT isn't remotely about natural intelligence. It's about learning how to play three different types of very predictable games for a few hours. It's a very learnable test. If you have a 3.85, you should have no problem if you sit down and study hard.



I hope you're right

corporatemandaorbust
Posts: 71
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:12 pm

Re: What are my chances at NYU?

Postby corporatemandaorbust » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:11 am

Are there any schools in the T-14 that would like my profile even with a 164-166 LSAT?

User avatar
poptart123
Posts: 1124
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:31 pm

Re: What are my chances at NYU?

Postby poptart123 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:14 am

corporatemandaorbust wrote:Are there any schools in the T-14 that would like my profile even with a 164-166 LSAT?


T14 -- Maybe Cornell with a 166. That's sorta the just below T13 range you are in with those scores.

Anon.y.mousse.
Posts: 599
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:35 pm

Re: What are my chances at NYU?

Postby Anon.y.mousse. » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:15 am

corporatemandaorbust wrote:Are there any schools in the T-14 that would like my profile even with a 164-166 LSAT?


http://lmgtfy.com/?q=mylsn.info

saf18hornet
Posts: 310
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:21 pm

Re: What are my chances at NYU?

Postby saf18hornet » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:12 am

corporatemandaorbust wrote:
Nebby wrote:169


Really? I've heard 166 would do


Why did you ask the question if you already think know the answer? 169 is the correct answer. A 168 would likely do this year, but the median is a 169 this year and more likely to go up than down.

Do yourself a favor and get a 175.
Last edited by saf18hornet on Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
CR7
Posts: 71
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:09 am

Re: What are my chances at NYU?

Postby CR7 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:29 am

corporatemandaorbust wrote:Profile:
Top 25 Undergrad
3.8 GPA
Top 15 MBA in Finance
Three Year's of Corporate Work Experience in NYC

However, LSAT Diagnostics are in low 150's. If I apply ED and am willing to take the test three times, what are my chances of NYU?


Just curious, why pursue law with a top 25 undergrad and top 15 MBA?

corporatemandaorbust
Posts: 71
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:12 pm

Re: What are my chances at NYU?

Postby corporatemandaorbust » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:02 pm

CR7 wrote:
corporatemandaorbust wrote:Profile:
Top 25 Undergrad
3.8 GPA
Top 15 MBA in Finance
Three Year's of Corporate Work Experience in NYC

However, LSAT Diagnostics are in low 150's. If I apply ED and am willing to take the test three times, what are my chances of NYU?


Just curious, why pursue law with a top 25 undergrad and top 15 MBA?


Interest. Job Security. Feel a bit stuck in my career. But I always wanted to do a profession like law/medicine so yeah

cavalier1138
Posts: 4628
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: What are my chances at NYU?

Postby cavalier1138 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:12 pm

corporatemandaorbust wrote: But I always wanted to do a profession like law/medicine so yeah


What does that mean? You just don't feel like you're going to do as well on the MCAT?

You should go to law school if you want to be a lawyer, not because of a vague interest in a "profession".

corporatemandaorbust
Posts: 71
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:12 pm

Re: What are my chances at NYU?

Postby corporatemandaorbust » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:23 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
corporatemandaorbust wrote: But I always wanted to do a profession like law/medicine so yeah


What does that mean? You just don't feel like you're going to do as well on the MCAT?

You should go to law school if you want to be a lawyer, not because of a vague interest in a "profession".


I don't like blood. I'd rather be a lawyer than a doctor

User avatar
Thomas Hagan, ESQ.
Posts: 1205
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:55 pm

Re: What are my chances at NYU?

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:27 pm

corporatemandaorbust wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
corporatemandaorbust wrote: But I always wanted to do a profession like law/medicine so yeah


What does that mean? You just don't feel like you're going to do as well on the MCAT?

You should go to law school if you want to be a lawyer, not because of a vague interest in a "profession".


I don't like blood. I'd rather be a lawyer than a doctor


That doesn't even even come close to answering the question. The question was why do you want to be a lawyer, not "why do you not want to be a doctor." There's a million other professions besides doctors and lawyers.

Also a stupid answer because not all doctors see blood.

corporatemandaorbust
Posts: 71
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:12 pm

Re: What are my chances at NYU?

Postby corporatemandaorbust » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:20 pm

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
corporatemandaorbust wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
corporatemandaorbust wrote: But I always wanted to do a profession like law/medicine so yeah


What does that mean? You just don't feel like you're going to do as well on the MCAT?

You should go to law school if you want to be a lawyer, not because of a vague interest in a "profession".


I don't like blood. I'd rather be a lawyer than a doctor


That doesn't even even come close to answering the question. The question was why do you want to be a lawyer, not "why do you not want to be a doctor." There's a million other professions besides doctors and lawyers.

Also a stupid answer because not all doctors see blood.


What other professions with the same level of intellectual vigor, barriers to entry, upside, prestige, autonomy, etc. I can't think of any

User avatar
guynourmin
Posts: 3426
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:42 pm

Re: What are my chances at NYU?

Postby guynourmin » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:19 pm

corporatemandaorbust wrote:
Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
corporatemandaorbust wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
corporatemandaorbust wrote: But I always wanted to do a profession like law/medicine so yeah


What does that mean? You just don't feel like you're going to do as well on the MCAT?

You should go to law school if you want to be a lawyer, not because of a vague interest in a "profession".


I don't like blood. I'd rather be a lawyer than a doctor


That doesn't even even come close to answering the question. The question was why do you want to be a lawyer, not "why do you not want to be a doctor." There's a million other professions besides doctors and lawyers.

Also a stupid answer because not all doctors see blood.


What other professions with the same level of intellectual vigor, barriers to entry, upside, prestige, autonomy, etc. I can't think of any


a professor, imo, has a lot more more of all 5 of the things you listed than an attorney.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: vitusiak and 3 guests