3.57 172 let's call my softs...unique

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
universe112
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:50 pm

3.57 172 let's call my softs...unique

Postby universe112 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:09 pm

Hey all, really appreciate what you do here. A few questions: First, I had a personal incident the final semester of my senior year (best friend who went to school near me ended up diagnosed bipolar 1) and I got a D and a C- that semester. My GPA prior would have been pretty solid. Should I include an addendum for this? Is any law school likely to care given my GPA's effect on its median? Second, I'm a professional poker player. I played my way through college and have done only that for the nearly 5 years since I graduated college. Any thoughts on how a law school might react to it? Should it be hidden? Featured?

And finally, what do people think are my likely outcomes? (Yes, I'm taking the June exam.)

User avatar
UVA2B
Posts: 3122
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 10:48 pm

Re: 3.57 172 let's call my softs...unique

Postby UVA2B » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:23 pm

Do you have a 172, or is this just what you think you'll get? You should probably make that more clear, and if just guessing, wait until you get a score to assess options.

Nothing about your record suggests an addendum for that stuff would really help. They'll take your GPA for what it is and move on.

The professional poker player thing could be an interesting spin to put in your PS, but like any PS topic, it's entirely about how you frame it and make it work to give your application better dimensions and fill you out as a person.

Finally, if you want to play around with your chances, and considering nothing about you particularly suggests you'll play above or below your numbers, head to http://mylsn.info. That site is the best resource you'll have for gauging how your numbers will do.

universe112
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:50 pm

Re: 3.57 172 let's call my softs...unique

Postby universe112 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:25 pm

.
Last edited by universe112 on Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

universe112
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:50 pm

Re: 3.57 172 let's call my softs...unique

Postby universe112 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:26 pm

UVA2B wrote:Do you have a 172, or is this just what you think you'll get? You should probably make that more clear, and if just guessing, wait until you get a score to assess options.

Nothing about your record suggests an addendum for that stuff would really help. They'll take your GPA for what it is and move on.

The professional poker player thing could be an interesting spin to put in your PS, but like any PS topic, it's entirely about how you frame it and make it work to give your application better dimensions and fill you out as a person.

Finally, if you want to play around with your chances, and considering nothing about you particularly suggests you'll play above or below your numbers, head to http://mylsn.info. That site is the best resource you'll have for gauging how your numbers will do.


sorry, yes, I got a 172 in February.

ZVBXRPL
Posts: 581
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:15 pm

Re: 3.57 172 let's call my softs...unique

Postby ZVBXRPL » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:27 pm

universe112 wrote:
UVA2B wrote:Do you have a 172, or is this just what you think you'll get? You should probably make that more clear, and if just guessing, wait until you get a score to assess options.

Nothing about your record suggests an addendum for that stuff would really help. They'll take your GPA for what it is and move on.

The professional poker player thing could be an interesting spin to put in your PS, but like any PS topic, it's entirely about how you frame it and make it work to give your application better dimensions and fill you out as a person.

Finally, if you want to play around with your chances, and considering nothing about you particularly suggests you'll play above or below your numbers, head to http://mylsn.info. That site is the best resource you'll have for gauging how your numbers will do.


sorry, yes, I got a 172 in February.

I think it's +EV to be associated with Vanessa Selbst.

User avatar
bitter_melon
Posts: 159
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:19 pm

Re: 3.57 172 let's call my softs...unique

Postby bitter_melon » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:40 pm

universe112 wrote:Hey all, really appreciate what you do here. A few questions: First, I had a personal incident the final semester of my senior year (best friend who went to school near me ended up diagnosed bipolar 1) and I got a D and a C- that semester. My GPA prior would have been pretty solid. Should I include an addendum for this? Is any law school likely to care given my GPA's effect on its median? Second, I'm a professional poker player. I played my way through college and have done only that for the nearly 5 years since I graduated college. Any thoughts on how a law school might react to it? Should it be hidden? Featured?

And finally, what do people think are my likely outcomes? (Yes, I'm taking the June exam.)


A 3.6 is nothing to be ashamed of, but if you really feel that you got those two grades because of that personal situation, then it can't hurt to include an addendum. I don't know if it will help, schools are inundated with "I'm sorry I failed this class but I was going through a really hard time" addendums, but it probably won't hurt. My one piece of advice is not to make excuses for yourself, own it as something that you did but also explain that you weren't operating at your full capacity.

I have no clue on the poker stuff, it's kind of cool and better than being unemployed for sure, so you can't really hide it, but I dunno it might turn some people off a bit.

User avatar
Rigo
Posts: 16017
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: 3.57 172 let's call my softs...unique

Postby Rigo » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:55 pm

I wouldn't hide the professional poker. It's unique and interesting, and I assume you do it legally in Vegas or something if you're calling it professional.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 12024
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: 3.57 172 let's call my softs...unique

Postby kalvano » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:45 pm

I believe there were several pages on how to address being a professional poker player on here a year or two so ago. Might be worth a search.

User avatar
BlendedUnicorn
Posts: 8713
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:40 pm

Re: 3.57 172 let's call my softs...unique

Postby BlendedUnicorn » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:28 am

Would talk about poker, wouldn't talk about your friend. Would also consider quitting poker.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests