Where can I go? 3.7/168

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
cavalier1138
Posts: 4657
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: Where can I go? 3.7/168

Postby cavalier1138 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:17 pm

jpark86 wrote:
SlippinJimmy wrote:
jpark86 wrote:
acr wrote:
jpark86 wrote:
acr wrote:Why is Georgetown your top choice? This is all moot until you take the LSAT, but get a 170 and go to a better school.


FYI - I talked to former admissions officers about LSAT scores, but apparently a 170 doesn't really make a major difference to your application unless its 172 or above..
To the eyes of many law schools, a 169, 170 and 171 are all grouped in the same bucket


FYI, you are dead wrong. Sorry. I'll take the data's word for it instead of your supposed "conversations" with former admissions officers.


How can you be so sure about something that you have provided no evidence for? (great start to your legal career!)
I suggest calling admissions consultants to verify what I have posted


LSN isn't evidence?


if you really don't believe what i posted above, i suggest calling one or all of the following people/companies

Ann Levine (lawschoolexpert.com)
Spivey Consulting (spiveyconsulting.com)
Anna Ivey (annaivey.com)


You know Spivey actually posts here, right? And I've never heard him say something as idiotic as "169-171 are all in the same bucket". Medians at the T14 are defined by the difference of a single point on the LSAT. You're talking nonsense.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 28733
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Where can I go? 3.7/168

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:24 pm

To be fair, there's a lot of discussion here of how if you're
above the 75th/below the 25th it doesn't matter much by how much, so the joke about those LSATs being below median for
HYS is pretty true, and may be what he meant. In a vacuum/for most schools, no, of course 170-172 aren't all the same. Pretty sure I've seen Spivey say that even a 1-2 pt increase can be huge, without any "except if between 169-172" caveats.

User avatar
Nonconsecutive
Posts: 2398
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:58 pm

Re: Where can I go? 3.7/168

Postby Nonconsecutive » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:55 pm

jpark86 wrote:some means 1-100%
many means 2+

the schools I am referring to are part of those spheres

jpark86 wrote:if you really don't believe what i posted above, i suggest calling one or all of the following people/companies

Ann Levine (lawschoolexpert.com)
Spivey Consulting (spiveyconsulting.com)
Anna Ivey (annaivey.com)


Ah to be a 0L again. :lol:

LikelyThrowaway
Posts: 151
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:19 am

Re: Where can I go? 3.7/168

Postby LikelyThrowaway » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:28 am

I suggest people stop telling questioners like this guy to take the LSAT before asking because some people are deciding whether to take the LSAT and go to law school in the first place and want a rough sense of their options before committing to all that effort and expense. It's not a dumb thing to ask.

They should always be using LSN rather than this forum though, like that flowchart shows.

cavalier1138
Posts: 4657
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: Where can I go? 3.7/168

Postby cavalier1138 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:25 am

LikelyThrowaway wrote:I suggest people stop telling questioners like this guy to take the LSAT before asking because some people are deciding whether to take the LSAT and go to law school in the first place and want a rough sense of their options before committing to all that effort and expense. It's not a dumb thing to ask.

They should always be using LSN rather than this forum though, like that flowchart shows.


The problem is that you can't get a "rough sense" of anything without taking the LSAT. Someone with a 2.8 GPA may still have T14 options after taking the LSAT, or they might only be able to get into Cooley. Someone with a 4.0 may not end up with any good school choices.

If you want to go to law school and you actually have the general intelligence level required to do well on the LSAT, then you'll do what it takes to get a good result. But your decision to take the LSAT shouldn't be predicated on a bunch of hypotheticals, because you cannot possibly know how well you'll do on the actual test.

User avatar
Hennessy
Posts: 2090
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:54 pm

Re: Where can I go? 3.7/168

Postby Hennessy » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:09 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
LikelyThrowaway wrote:I suggest people stop telling questioners like this guy to take the LSAT before asking because some people are deciding whether to take the LSAT and go to law school in the first place and want a rough sense of their options before committing to all that effort and expense. It's not a dumb thing to ask.

They should always be using LSN rather than this forum though, like that flowchart shows.


The problem is that you can't get a "rough sense" of anything without taking the LSAT. Someone with a 2.8 GPA may still have T14 options after taking the LSAT, or they might only be able to get into Cooley. Someone with a 4.0 may not end up with any good school choices.

If you want to go to law school and you actually have the general intelligence level required to do well on the LSAT, then you'll do what it takes to get a good result. But your decision to take the LSAT shouldn't be predicated on a bunch of hypotheticals, because you cannot possibly know how well you'll do on the actual test.


you can get a rough sense of "wow I need to get my shit together" if you come here with a 156 and get laughed out

you can also get a rough sense of "hmm i need 3 to 4 more points to make myself eligible for X-LS, shouldn't stop PTing now, where can I find those last couple of points"

some posters are also unaware of LSN (i found this site and was subsequently directed to LSN)

i disagree with you on this cav, altho I understand the sentiment
(these are the threads that really frustrate me)




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests