Where can I go? 3.7/168

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
letmelearnlaws
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:34 pm

Where can I go? 3.7/168

Postby letmelearnlaws » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:01 pm

Yeah, the subject says it all. I've got a 3.7 GPA from a pretty good undergraduate university (Tulane) and though I haven't taken the LSAT, I've taken a lot of practice tests and am getting consistently in the 165-69 range. I'm also starting a 4-hour a week LSAT class soon, which will end when I take the test in June. If I get a 168, and keep my GPA where it is, what kind of options am I looking at?

Other info:
Majors: Political Science and Philosophy
Minor: Spanish
Extra-curricular: President of a fraternity
Work: Multiple internships doing law-related things

Here is my top choices right now, in descending order:

Georgetown
Columbia
George Washington
NYU
UCLA
Vanderbilt
Florida
Wake Forest
American


I know I can get into the schools toward the bottom of that list, but what about the rest of it? And if I currently wouldn't be a good candidate for admission into the ones toward the top of the list, what can I change to get into them?

User avatar
Clemenceau
Posts: 941
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:33 am

Re: Where can I go? 3.7/168

Postby Clemenceau » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:20 pm

Check out mylsn.info and play around with the numbers a bit.

Every lsat point makes such a big difference that it's not worth assessing your chances at 168, because you don't have a 168. Score as high as you possibly can. Good luck.

User avatar
KMart
Posts: 4369
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:25 am

Re: Where can I go? 3.7/168

Postby KMart » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:39 pm

Image

User avatar
Thomas Hagan, ESQ.
Posts: 1201
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:55 pm

Re: Where can I go? 3.7/168

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:51 pm

Don't worry about schools now, worry about the LSAT first! Good luck!

cantyoloforever
Posts: 169
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:02 pm

Re: Where can I go? 3.7/168

Postby cantyoloforever » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:52 am

We have the same GPA, and my LSAT was 169. Though it's anecdotal, feel free to PM me for my application results

User avatar
Rigo
Posts: 15817
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: Where can I go? 3.7/168

Postby Rigo » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:10 am

This is silly. Take the LSAT.

User avatar
Future Ex-Engineer
Posts: 1430
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:20 pm

Re: Where can I go? 3.7/168

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:15 am

You can go to your nearest testing center for the June LSAT. Speculating on this stuff beforehand is silly. Get a real, reportable score, and then you can start speculating like the rest of us degenerates

User avatar
amta
Posts: 9258
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:40 pm

Re: Where can I go? 3.7/168

Postby amta » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:20 pm

here is a very helpful flow chart that is perfect for your situation:

[+] Spoiler
Image

jpark86
Posts: 81
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:12 pm

Re: Where can I go? 3.7/168

Postby jpark86 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:30 pm

I have similar numbers to you and I got into U Penn, Duke, Georgetown and Fordham so far
So keep it up!

cavalier1138
Posts: 4316
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: Where can I go? 3.7/168

Postby cavalier1138 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:10 pm

jpark86 wrote:I have similar numbers to you and I got into U Penn, Duke, Georgetown and Fordham so far
So keep it up!


How can you have similar numbers? The OP doesn't have an LSAT score.

acr
Posts: 682
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:14 pm

Re: Where can I go? 3.7/168

Postby acr » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:18 pm

Why is Georgetown your top choice? This is all moot until you take the LSAT, but get a 170 and go to a better school.

jpark86
Posts: 81
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:12 pm

Re: Where can I go? 3.7/168

Postby jpark86 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:22 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
jpark86 wrote:I have similar numbers to you and I got into U Penn, Duke, Georgetown and Fordham so far
So keep it up!


How can you have similar numbers? The OP doesn't have an LSAT score.


He's hypothetically saying if he gets a 168
I am basing my comment on that

jpark86
Posts: 81
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:12 pm

Re: Where can I go? 3.7/168

Postby jpark86 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:25 pm

acr wrote:Why is Georgetown your top choice? This is all moot until you take the LSAT, but get a 170 and go to a better school.


FYI - I talked to former admissions officers about LSAT scores, but apparently a 170 doesn't really make a major difference to your application unless its 172 or above..
To the eyes of many law schools, a 169, 170 and 171 are all grouped in the same bucket

User avatar
Future Ex-Engineer
Posts: 1430
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:20 pm

Re: Where can I go? 3.7/168

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:27 pm

jpark86 wrote:
acr wrote:Why is Georgetown your top choice? This is all moot until you take the LSAT, but get a 170 and go to a better school.


FYI - I talked to former admissions officers about LSAT scores, but apparently a 170 doesn't really make a major difference to your application unless its 172 or above..
To the eyes of many law schools, a 169, 170 and 171 are all grouped in the same bucket


Whether or not that's true, a 170 is far better than a 168 for admissions. It puts you above median or at 75th for everyone seven and below

acr
Posts: 682
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:14 pm

Re: Where can I go? 3.7/168

Postby acr » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:30 pm

jpark86 wrote:
acr wrote:Why is Georgetown your top choice? This is all moot until you take the LSAT, but get a 170 and go to a better school.


FYI - I talked to former admissions officers about LSAT scores, but apparently a 170 doesn't really make a major difference to your application unless its 172 or above..
To the eyes of many law schools, a 169, 170 and 171 are all grouped in the same bucket


FYI, you are dead wrong. Sorry. I'll take the data's word for it instead of your supposed "conversations" with former admissions officers.

jpark86
Posts: 81
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:12 pm

Re: Where can I go? 3.7/168

Postby jpark86 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:36 pm

mrgstephe wrote:
jpark86 wrote:
acr wrote:Why is Georgetown your top choice? This is all moot until you take the LSAT, but get a 170 and go to a better school.


FYI - I talked to former admissions officers about LSAT scores, but apparently a 170 doesn't really make a major difference to your application unless its 172 or above..
To the eyes of many law schools, a 169, 170 and 171 are all grouped in the same bucket


Yea, frankly I was surprised when I first heard this! However, a former admissions officer who worked at YLS and CLS told me this... so there is some truth to it (at least for some T-14 schools)!

jpark86
Posts: 81
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:12 pm

Re: Where can I go? 3.7/168

Postby jpark86 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:38 pm

acr wrote:
jpark86 wrote:
acr wrote:Why is Georgetown your top choice? This is all moot until you take the LSAT, but get a 170 and go to a better school.


FYI - I talked to former admissions officers about LSAT scores, but apparently a 170 doesn't really make a major difference to your application unless its 172 or above..
To the eyes of many law schools, a 169, 170 and 171 are all grouped in the same bucket


FYI, you are dead wrong. Sorry. I'll take the data's word for it instead of your supposed "conversations" with former admissions officers.


How can you be so sure about something that you have provided no evidence for? (great start to your legal career!)
I suggest calling admissions consultants to verify what I have posted

User avatar
Nonconsecutive
Posts: 2397
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:58 pm

Re: Where can I go? 3.7/168

Postby Nonconsecutive » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:20 pm

jpark86 wrote:
mrgstephe wrote:
jpark86 wrote:
acr wrote:Why is Georgetown your top choice? This is all moot until you take the LSAT, but get a 170 and go to a better school.


FYI - I talked to former admissions officers about LSAT scores, but apparently a 170 doesn't really make a major difference to your application unless its 172 or above..
To the eyes of many law schools, a 169, 170 and 171 are all grouped in the same bucket


Yea, frankly I was surprised when I first heard this! However, a former admissions officer who worked at YLS and CLS told me this... so there is some truth to it (at least for some T-14 schools)!


So your conversation with a single former admissions officer outweighs a swarm of data differentiating a 169 from a 171 for admissions purposes? You also changed your statement from "many law schools" to "some T-14 schools." Interesting.

letmelearnlaws
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:34 pm

Re: Where can I go? 3.7/168

Postby letmelearnlaws » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:09 am

acr wrote:Why is Georgetown your top choice? This is all moot until you take the LSAT, but get a 170 and go to a better school.



Georgetown is my top choice because I want to live/work in DC and their trial advocacy program is the best among T14 (also I don't want think I want to go a much harder school where my class rank will be worse)

cavalier1138
Posts: 4316
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: Where can I go? 3.7/168

Postby cavalier1138 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:24 am

letmelearnlaws wrote:
acr wrote:Why is Georgetown your top choice? This is all moot until you take the LSAT, but get a 170 and go to a better school.



Georgetown is my top choice because I want to live/work in DC and their trial advocacy program is the best among T14 (also I don't want think I want to go a much harder school where my class rank will be worse)


That's not how class rank works, and specialty rankings are meaningless. If you want to work in DC, UVA would probably be the best non Harvard/Yale school.

User avatar
Future Ex-Engineer
Posts: 1430
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:20 pm

Re: Where can I go? 3.7/168

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:19 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
letmelearnlaws wrote:
acr wrote:Why is Georgetown your top choice? This is all moot until you take the LSAT, but get a 170 and go to a better school.



Georgetown is my top choice because I want to live/work in DC and their trial advocacy program is the best among T14 (also I don't want think I want to go a much harder school where my class rank will be worse)


That's not how class rank works, and specialty rankings are meaningless. If you want to work in DC, UVA would probably be the best non Harvard/Yale school.


I mean UVA would be a *good* choice if DC is his #1, but by the same measure, GULC would also be a *good* choice. I think at that level you can't definitively say one is better than the other. GULC has a lot of self-selection reasons for their employment numbers.

SlippinJimmy
Posts: 73
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:01 am

Re: Where can I go? 3.7/168

Postby SlippinJimmy » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:40 pm

jpark86 wrote:
acr wrote:
jpark86 wrote:
acr wrote:Why is Georgetown your top choice? This is all moot until you take the LSAT, but get a 170 and go to a better school.


FYI - I talked to former admissions officers about LSAT scores, but apparently a 170 doesn't really make a major difference to your application unless its 172 or above..
To the eyes of many law schools, a 169, 170 and 171 are all grouped in the same bucket


FYI, you are dead wrong. Sorry. I'll take the data's word for it instead of your supposed "conversations" with former admissions officers.


How can you be so sure about something that you have provided no evidence for? (great start to your legal career!)
I suggest calling admissions consultants to verify what I have posted


LSN isn't evidence?

jpark86
Posts: 81
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:12 pm

Re: Where can I go? 3.7/168

Postby jpark86 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:43 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:
jpark86 wrote:
mrgstephe wrote:
jpark86 wrote:
acr wrote:Why is Georgetown your top choice? This is all moot until you take the LSAT, but get a 170 and go to a better school.


FYI - I talked to former admissions officers about LSAT scores, but apparently a 170 doesn't really make a major difference to your application unless its 172 or above..
To the eyes of many law schools, a 169, 170 and 171 are all grouped in the same bucket


Yea, frankly I was surprised when I first heard this! However, a former admissions officer who worked at YLS and CLS told me this... so there is some truth to it (at least for some T-14 schools)!


So your conversation with a single former admissions officer outweighs a swarm of data differentiating a 169 from a 171 for admissions purposes? You also changed your statement from "many law schools" to "some T-14 schools." Interesting.


some means 1-100%
many means 2+

the schools I am referring to are part of those spheres

jpark86
Posts: 81
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:12 pm

Re: Where can I go? 3.7/168

Postby jpark86 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:48 pm

SlippinJimmy wrote:
jpark86 wrote:
acr wrote:
jpark86 wrote:
acr wrote:Why is Georgetown your top choice? This is all moot until you take the LSAT, but get a 170 and go to a better school.


FYI - I talked to former admissions officers about LSAT scores, but apparently a 170 doesn't really make a major difference to your application unless its 172 or above..
To the eyes of many law schools, a 169, 170 and 171 are all grouped in the same bucket


FYI, you are dead wrong. Sorry. I'll take the data's word for it instead of your supposed "conversations" with former admissions officers.


How can you be so sure about something that you have provided no evidence for? (great start to your legal career!)
I suggest calling admissions consultants to verify what I have posted


LSN isn't evidence?


if you really don't believe what i posted above, i suggest calling one or all of the following people/companies

Ann Levine (lawschoolexpert.com)
Spivey Consulting (spiveyconsulting.com)
Anna Ivey (annaivey.com)

goldenbear2020
Posts: 588
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:47 pm

Re: Where can I go? 3.7/168

Postby goldenbear2020 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:05 pm

jpark86 wrote:
mrgstephe wrote:
jpark86 wrote:
acr wrote:Why is Georgetown your top choice? This is all moot until you take the LSAT, but get a 170 and go to a better school.


FYI - I talked to former admissions officers about LSAT scores, but apparently a 170 doesn't really make a major difference to your application unless its 172 or above..
To the eyes of many law schools, a 169, 170 and 171 are all grouped in the same bucket


Yea, frankly I was surprised when I first heard this! However, a former admissions officer who worked at YLS and CLS told me this... so there is some truth to it (at least for some T-14 schools)!

Lol, YLS and CLS group 169/170/171 all in the same bucket - below median! :D




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests