Should I retake?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Hopeful5

Should I retake?

Postby Hopeful5 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:20 pm

Hi! Soooo I'll just jump in. Because of life circumstances, I could only take the December lsat this year. My stats are 158 3.7, with pretty good softs. I ended up applying, even though I was disappointed that I didn't do better. I've gotten into all of the schools that I've applied to so far (GW, American, SMU, and George Mason), but not with any $$$. I knew it was a long shot, but I went for it anyways. My question is should I retake and reapply? I studied for four months for the lsat, I used the PS books, and took the in class testmasters class. I was PT between 156-163. I don't know how I could have worked harder on studying. It was all I did for those four months. If I take it again, there's a good chance that I'll be one of those people who does the same or worse. There was some really distracting stuff happening at my testing center, but I'm still concerned that might not have changed the outcome. Thoughts??? :|

poptart123

Re: Should I retake?

Postby poptart123 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:23 pm

If you need to ask, yes.

Your 5 points below the top of your range. If you study some more and hit your 163 or higher you will be much happier. It sucks to wait, but it's for the best.

Ronan

Postby Ronan » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:30 pm

Yeah you should retake. Don't sell yourself short on something that will have a huge impact on the rest of your life! Look around at some of the re-take threads that people created and see if any of those can help.

And if you bust your ass and end up with the same score, you'll have, at the very least, the peace of mind that you did all you could. Good luck!

Hopeful5

Postby Hopeful5 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:45 pm

Thank you for your replies! Will it hurt me on applications if I get a lower score?

S.Picquery

Postby S.Picquery » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:47 pm

As long is it's not significantly lower (5+ pts) you'll be fine IMO. But, you won't Study up, do better, get that $$$$$

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:58 pm

S.Picquery wrote:As long is it's not significantly lower (5+ pts) you'll be fine IMO. But, you won't Study up, do better, get that $$$$$

Not sure why 5+ points is the line in the sand. You really think if the OP goes out and binks a 143 on a retake that would change the OPs options at all?

S.Picquery

Postby S.Picquery » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:12 pm

BigZuck wrote:Not sure why 5+ points is the line in the sand. You really think if the OP goes out and binks a 143 on a retake that would change the OPs options at all?

I went with that number, because on at least one school's FAQs (but I think I remember two?) there was mention of the school preferring an addendum explaining such a difference in performance. Their interest in that difference makes it significant. If I recall one of the schools was UMich, if you feel the need to go hunting.

quigleyest

Postby quigleyest » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:14 pm

Hopeful5 wrote:Hi! Soooo I'll just jump in. Because of life circumstances, I could only take the December lsat this year. My stats are 158 3.7, with pretty good softs. I ended up applying, even though I was disappointed that I didn't do better. I've gotten into all of the schools that I've applied to so far (GW, American, SMU, and George Mason), but not with any $$$. I knew it was a long shot, but I went for it anyways. My question is should I retake and reapply? I studied for four months for the lsat, I used the PS books, and took the in class testmasters class. I was PT between 156-163. I don't know how I could have worked harder on studying. It was all I did for those four months. If I take it again, there's a good chance that I'll be one of those people who does the same or worse. There was some really distracting stuff happening at my testing center, but I'm still concerned that might not have changed the outcome. Thoughts??? :|

Please retake. I think you have the potential to do much better (more points to be earned, over 10)

Watch 7sage videos for LG, learn his techniques

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:01 pm

S.Picquery wrote:
BigZuck wrote:Not sure why 5+ points is the line in the sand. You really think if the OP goes out and binks a 143 on a retake that would change the OPs options at all?

I went with that number, because on at least one school's FAQs (but I think I remember two?) there was mention of the school preferring an addendum explaining such a difference in performance. Their interest in that difference makes it significant. If I recall one of the schools was UMich, if you feel the need to go hunting.

Duke also (at least at one time) said you need to write an addendum if your score increased but that ain't true

Nothing would change about the OPs options if the OP scored significantly lower on a retake. Schools only care about the highest score.

Hopeful5

Postby Hopeful5 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:26 pm

Ok, I'm convinced. If I don't get some miracle full ride (which I'm seriously doubting), I'm going to retake June. Thank you all!

Return to “What are my chances?”