retracted

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
incognito_mode13

retracted

Postby incognito_mode13 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:44 pm

Retracted
Last edited by incognito_mode13 on Tue May 09, 2017 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CanadianWolf

Re: 3.54 / 171 / Major C&F NU ED?

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:34 pm

Interesting background for an Eagle Scout; not sure that I want to know what your final project was in order to attain this rank.

Hard to say how one admissions committee will view this versus another adcomm.

Gang activity, crime of violence with a deadly weapon & vandalism/destruction of property raise serious concerns. Did you serve any time ? Who (what position) will write your recommendations ?

Your targeted law school is located in a city with a lot of gang related violent crime. Maybe schools with a less urban location might be more willing to overlook your past. I don't know because it was not just one incident & not multiple incidents in just a short time span (especially if you were in juvenile detention after the second conviction). What about the victim of the assault with a deadly weapon ?

I do not know the answer as to whether or not NU will reject you based on your teenage history, but I do know that full disclosure is required on all law school applications unless your records have been expunged.

You may apply to a law school which has recently experienced violent crimes against its students or those in the undergraduate school (e.g. Baylor football scandal) which may affect the university's policy on accepting anyone with a prior conviction for a crime of violence. Domestic abuse/assault is often enough to get one rejected. Be prepared to apply to multiple law schools. Good luck.

grades??

Postby grades?? » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:46 pm

I would advocate talking with a professional law school app advisor just to ask whether any school will admit you with those CF issues.

incognito_mode13

Postby incognito_mode13 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:45 pm

Retracted
Last edited by incognito_mode13 on Tue May 09, 2017 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yyyuppp

Postby yyyuppp » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:57 pm

I don't know anything about this, but for some anecdotal evidence this guy went to Yale after spending 8 years in prison:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reginald_Dwayne_Betts

So, not a total preclusion

Also, just my thought but I don't think NU would be more sensitive to your past than any other school. That seems like a weird, pretty baseless conclusion from the above poster.

grades??

Postby grades?? » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:06 pm

I wasn't referring to NU or any other schools specifically. I just think OP should probably at least talk to a professional about the way his application should be presented because of his CF record. Someone who knows more specifically might be of more help because OPs CF history is really bad, but there has been a lot of distance. It is an unusual case and OP should at least talk to someone more knowledgeable than us.

yyyuppp

Postby yyyuppp » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:26 pm

grades?? wrote:I wasn't referring to NU or any other schools specifically. I just think OP should probably at least talk to a professional about the way his application should be presented because of his CF record. Someone who knows more specifically might be of more help because OPs CF history is really bad, but there has been a lot of distance. It is an unusual case and OP should at least talk to someone more knowledgeable than us.

didn't mean you, meant the poster advising to avoid schools in bigger cities because there are gangs there and his past involves gang activity. i dont think that matters. but yeah, definitely talk to a professional about this.

cavalier1138

Postby cavalier1138 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:24 am

CanadianWolf wrote:Your targeted law school is located in a city with a lot of gang related violent crime. Maybe schools with a less urban location might be more willing to overlook your past.

I also have no idea where this is coming from. Northwestern isn't even in a part of Chicago that has serious gang issues, and the general logic of urban schools being more sensitive to this is tenuous at best. If anything, schools in urban areas are more likely to understand the OP's background and not have some media-influenced vision of what gang membership looks like. But realistically, the school's location will have no impact on this part of the application.

BlendedUnicorn

Postby BlendedUnicorn » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:51 am

Yeah you should be fine but you'll definitely have to disclose and write an addendum. Honestly sounds like fertile grounds for a personal statement. Don't bother paying a consultant TLS just told you everything you need to know.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:26 am

Although NU's law school is located in a wealthy part of Chicago, they still are in Chicago which had more murders this year than NYC & LA combined. Schools are very sensitive to crimes of violence & potential liability for campus related incidents.

Return to “What are my chances?”