3.01/166, Applying Late in Cycle

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
vharboured

3.01/166, Applying Late in Cycle

Postby vharboured » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:11 am

I should have the last of my applications out this week, but am I already mostly doomed trying to apply this late with a 3.01 GPA and a 166 LSAT? I'm applying to GW, Notre Dame, Emory, GULC, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, WUSTL, W&M, BU, BC, Fordham, Cardozo, and a few other safeties. I've been out of school for six or seven years and have pretty strong work experience and a fairly credible explanation for the low GPA (a single disastrous semester early on and a strong GPA over the final year plus during undergrad). If I was to retake the LSAT, I could probably get it to 170+ but I don't think I want to delay any longer. I know there isn't much money left to toss around at this point in the cycle, so I'm more concerned with acceptances. (I'm also pretty flexible with where I wind up region-wise.) I know what MYLSN says, but that data seems a bit more optimistic about my chances than the anecdotal info I've read here and elsewhere.

Anyways, I'd greatly appreciate any advice anyone has to offer. Thanks very much.

ToGetIntoTheBoysHole

Re: 3.01/166, Applying Late in Cycle

Postby ToGetIntoTheBoysHole » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:14 am

Why now and not early next cycle?

E: Just reread what you wrote, there are a lot of typical mistakes that 0Ls make in your post. Take some time and do some more research on the law school admissions/selection process.

cavalier1138

Postby cavalier1138 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:32 am

Yeah, applying this cycle is a bad idea. Most schools are starting to close their applications, and you clearly need to retake the LSAT to max out your options. Just to provide a little more clarity about the typical mistakes you're making:

-Your GPA doesn't require an explanation. You did badly, and then you did better. GPA addenda are for things like medical conditions or other circumstances out of your control.

-If you know you can get to 170+ on a retake (not guaranteed, but improving a 166 to 170+ should be doable), you need to do that. You're a splitter, so you need your LSAT to be high enough to make you an attractive option.

-You need to stop focusing on how you feel about "delaying" and focus on how to maximize your chances at acceptances and scholarship money.

-You haven't mentioned career goals once, and your regional flexibility makes me think that you haven't spent much time examining that side of the equation.

-And above all, you need to apply early. Splitters have a much harder time than other applicants, and the only way they can really boost their chances is to get their applications in as early as possible.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:28 am

You'll likely be admitted to several of your targeted schools, but without money.

Seven years post undergraduate work experience should alleviate any concerns about your GPA.

Probably best to retake the LSAT & reapply next cycle.

floatie

Postby floatie » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:46 am

With the exception of Northwestern, Vandy, and GTown, you'll probably get in to the other schools. But your scholarship offers are going to be slim to none at this point. Why not retake the LSAT in June? You might be able to leverage an improved score for more scholarship money, or if that doesn't work, just reapply next year. Don't underestimate the power of a few more points on the LSAT.

Future Ex-Engineer

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:54 am

If you're already out of school working, why can't you wait an extra year?

It would be foolish to go this year with essentially 0 scholarship IMO

vharboured

Postby vharboured » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:41 pm

Thanks for the advice. I should add that I have no choice but to include an addendum because my GPA was so low in that one semester (all Fs, though I did no worse than a 3.0 in every other semester) that I was expelled for a semester before being readmitted (due to health issues). And the parental unit improbably offered to pay for tuition, so that's not an issue. But I'm still conflicted about waiting...my current job position has an impressive title but I live in an expensive city and it doesn't pay well, so the prospect of waiting a year, when you're 28, isn't very appealing. I suppose that's the crux of my dilemma.

Future Ex-Engineer

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:13 pm

I mean at the end of the day, you already stated you are sure you can score 170+. I have no idea if that's factual or not, but you've claimed it.

So, looking at the options:
1)
Apply now -> get in a few places (maybe) -> almost 100% chance of no scholarship to T14 (and probably very very very marginal scholly elsewhere).

2)
Retake in June (score 170+) -> apply early to a number of T14 (maybe even ED to Northwestern) -> Probably get a number of T14 acceptances -> receive multiple scholarship opportunities $100k+ to lower T14 and certainly strong regionals (and maybe a $150k offer from NU if you get in ED).

With all of that on the table, I really can't think of any good reason to try to go this year. You would essentially be throwing away upwards of $100k.

I guess if relatives are footing the bill then it matters less - but I'd have a hard time making that call for myself if I knew waiting a year would reduce the burden on them by over a hundred grand.

Return to “What are my chances?”