3.6 GPA, 170 LSAT, need opinions.

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
BritBoy

3.6 GPA, 170 LSAT, need opinions.

Postby BritBoy » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:31 pm

Hi,

I'm an international and have been looking at this forum for a while and would just like to get a few opinions on my chances of admission and potentially getting money from a t14 and possibly the rest of the t25. I have looked at law school numbers etc. but if possible would just like someone else's opinion to get a better feel for my chances for fall 2018 admission if I get a 170 LSAT.

A little about me:

- I did my undergrad at a pretty good university in England (not Oxbridge) and got an upper 2:1 (68) which is roughly equivalent to 3.6 GPA in the American system. From what I can gather I would be given probably above average or maybe (if I was lucky) superior from LSAC for my GPA.

- I did a diagnostic LSAT and scored 165 under timed conditions. I'm registering for the June LSAT and believe with the next 4 months practicing I can get around a 170 after already seeing improvements so far.

- My softs, (which I don't know if any will make a difference or not) are:

- first person in family to get a degree.
- spent entire undergrad training with professional soccer team.
- graduated with my MBA in December 2016 from a U.S. college and scored in 97th percentile on ETS national MBA test.
- played D1 soccer and gained all-academic honors both my years.
- spent 6 months interning with a defense lawyer.
- started my own company with one client and now have around thirty-five.
- spent some time in undergrad community organizing for local government

I always planned to attend law school after my undergrad but was offered to come out to the U.S. and play soccer and get a full-ride for my MBA which I thought would be worthwhile and give me a bit longer before law school.

Apologies for the long post and thank you if you're still reading!

DrGlennRichie

Re: 3.6 GPA, 170 LSAT, need opinions.

Postby DrGlennRichie » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:53 pm

BritBoy wrote:Hi,

I'm an international and have been looking at this forum for a while and would just like to get a few opinions on my chances of admission and potentially getting money from a t14 and possibly the rest of the t25. I have looked at law school numbers etc. but if possible would just like someone else's opinion to get a better feel for my chances for fall 2018 admission if I get a 170 LSAT.

A little about me:

- I did my undergrad at a pretty good university in England (not Oxbridge) and got an upper 2:1 (68) which is roughly equivalent to 3.6 GPA in the American system. From what I can gather I would be given probably above average or maybe (if I was lucky) superior from LSAC for my GPA.

- I did a diagnostic LSAT and scored 165 under timed conditions. I'm registering for the June LSAT and believe with the next 4 months practicing I can get around a 170 after already seeing improvements so far.

- My softs, (which I don't know if any will make a difference or not) are:

- first person in family to get a degree.
- spent entire undergrad training with professional soccer team.
- graduated with my MBA in December 2016 from a U.S. college and scored in 97th percentile on ETS national MBA test.
- played D1 soccer and gained all-academic honors both my years.
- spent 6 months interning with a defense lawyer.
- started my own company with one client and now have around thirty-five.
- spent some time in undergrad community organizing for local government

I always planned to attend law school after my undergrad but was offered to come out to the U.S. and play soccer and get a full-ride for my MBA which I thought would be worthwhile and give me a bit longer before law school.

Apologies for the long post and thank you if you're still reading!

With 170 you probably can get into T14. I would say get your LSAT first and then try to do planning. Even 2-3 points can make a huge difference.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:31 pm

So you don't have a 3.6 (International GPA's aren't reported by schools. This will neither harm you nor help you, but it makes your LSAT more important since that is the sole objective factor you'll be judged on.)
And you don't have an LSAT score. Get back to us in July. If you got the 165 on your timed diagnostic, that's really good. Happy studying.

I don't see why you want to go to law school though. You seem to be doing cool things with your MBA and in your community already.

grades??

Postby grades?? » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:39 pm

There are literally 1000 stories on this forum of people saying I'm gonna get X and without fail after every exam when the scores come out these people don't get their predicted score. 99% of the time they get lower, usually at least 5 points lower. Just FYI. Dont take this exam for granted.

I'll echo above, you will be evaluated with an above average distinction, not a numerical gpa. This sucks for a few reasons. No matter what you get on the lsat, you are out at Harvard Yale and Stanford. Only 1 above average with a 175+ got into harvard in recent memory, but he/she was an Oxbridge phd grad.

That said, you have an opportunity with the rest of the t14. You need to get a 170+. The schools wont report your above average distinction, so you HAVE to help their gpa medians or you are unlikely to get in. Therefore, you need to really score over 170 to have a good chance at the rest of the t14, especially because you aren't coming from Oxbridge/St Andrews.

Best of luck, buckle down and study. Worry about the rest later. Also a 2:1 never gets a superior classification. It will be an above average.

BritBoy

Postby BritBoy » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:05 am

Thank you all for the advice/help. I know my situation is completely hypothetical right now, just wanted some input.

runinthefront

Postby runinthefront » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:09 am

Take the LSAT first. Good luck!

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:34 am

Any plans for your MBA degree ?

Also, it will be interesting to see if your 97% GMAT (740) equates to a 97% LSAT (170 +).

DrGlennRichie

Postby DrGlennRichie » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:29 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Any plans for your MBA degree ?

Also, it will be interesting to see if your 97% GMAT (740) equates to a 97% LSAT (170 +).

Spoiler alert: No correlation. Very different tests

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:14 pm

No spoiler alert necessary. I am familiar with both tests; just following up on the OP's statement. One important similarity, however, is that they are both learnable tests.

dm1683

Postby dm1683 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:09 pm

Jesus you got a 165 cold under timed conditions? Never having seen a logic game before? Seriously man, aim for 175+. You have plenty of time. Make Harvard happen.

Return to “What are my chances?”