2.45 GPA / 170 LSAT Chances @ UCLA?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Zoroaster
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:03 am

2.45 GPA / 170 LSAT Chances @ UCLA?

Postby Zoroaster » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:18 am

2.45 GPA from UCLA - Failed grades due to psychological lapses that led me to be in the psych ward for six weeks. One time cleared courses, second and third times not so much thus failed coursework on transcript. Major GPA is a 3.2.

I'd like to get back to UCLA as my therapist there helped me immensely to develop strong coping mechanisms. Wondering whether I've got a shot, or I should retake or whether I'm good with this?

ToGetIntoTheBoysHole
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:35 am

Re: 2.45 GPA / 170 LSAT Chances @ UCLA?

Postby ToGetIntoTheBoysHole » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:50 am

You should consider whether Law School is conducive for your mental health. Given that, your GPA will most likely exclude you from being accepted into UCLA. Maybe if you could pull off a 175+ but I wouldn't count on it.

Zoroaster
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:03 am

Re: 2.45 GPA / 170 LSAT Chances @ UCLA?

Postby Zoroaster » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:57 am

I think I appreciate your concern if it's genuine, but my intellect wasn't harmed by mental health nor was my mental health harmed by my academics while I was at UCLA. It was from poor understanding and being raised by a family that didn't care. I do not wish to diverge from my original question, but I would recommend you watch the Elyn Saks' video on her battles with what I've been dealing with. She's also the associate dean at USC law.

https://vimeo.com/93406430

If anyone else has feedback on my original question please let me know.

ToGetIntoTheBoysHole
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:35 am

Re: 2.45 GPA / 170 LSAT Chances @ UCLA?

Postby ToGetIntoTheBoysHole » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:21 am

Yup, I just know this board and I'm sure its something that others would have brought up. Not trying to put you off or anything just something to be aware of.

You can plug your info into mylsn.info if you'd like another source, but regardless of your specific situation, a 2.45/170 really does not give you a shot at UCLA. UCLA seems less prone to take super-splitters and likely has a large number of candidates who have the same LSAT with a much higher GPA. This doesn't mean you can't get into a good school, others like Northwestern/UVA/WUSTL are known to take people with really high LSATs even if they're GPA is really low. If you want to stay in LA, think about maybe applying to Loyola or Pepperdine, they are much more likely to overlook your GPA given your LSAT score. USC also seems to favor a high GPA (more so then UCLA) but maybe they'd give you a look given your LSAT, still think it would need to be higher tho.

Again you could try retaking the LSAT to bump up your score, but for UCLA at least, its a crapshoot.

AJordan
Posts: 348
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:48 am

Re: 2.45 GPA / 170 LSAT Chances @ UCLA?

Postby AJordan » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:49 am

UCLA's floor seemingly falls at around 3.0. Having said that there just aren't a lot of people with your numbers so you're just gonna have to drop the coin to apply broadly and wait to see which one of those 10-30%ers comes thru. Wouldn't count on UCLA being one of them, though.

cavalier1138
Posts: 4259
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: 2.45 GPA / 170 LSAT Chances @ UCLA?

Postby cavalier1138 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:55 am

What are your career goals? A good therapist is nice, but it should not even factor in to your law school decision.

Zoroaster
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:03 am

Re: 2.45 GPA / 170 LSAT Chances @ UCLA?

Postby Zoroaster » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:45 pm

I was a law clerk for half a year for a judge and enjoyed the detail and preparation that was involved in each case. Unfortunately, all the criminal cases were hamstrung by attempts by the public defenders at linking it to the D.A.'s office shenanigans that's now under federal investigation. I liked though being comprehensive in the different ways one can interpret case law, which was my main job of writing memo's for a judge for motions that were filed.

I'm personally more fascinated by human rights law and the effects policies have on generally accepted purposes behind stated definitions, i.e. Designating a conflict as genocide requires engagement/involvement, thus conflicts are now defined as civil conflicts due to the hesitations by Obama's presidency to get involved. I like to think counterintuitively, which was I could say a sliver lining cultivated from my personal struggles, and this is where I like to be as there will be more conflicts that will surely arise leading to mass migrations caused by climate change and natural disasters that will become more frequent.

And I understand that it is a crapshoot as I did look at mylsn.info but couldn't find examples of many who were rejected/accepted with similar numbers. Hence my question.

ToGetIntoTheBoysHole
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:35 am

Re: 2.45 GPA / 170 LSAT Chances @ UCLA?

Postby ToGetIntoTheBoysHole » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:05 pm

I am not sure if those are really "career goals", but okay. Anybody with a sub-3.0 GPA/170+ LSAT is going to have a more unpredictable cycle. From my experience tho, those top California schools really do want students with a high undergraduate GPA.

cavalier1138
Posts: 4259
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: 2.45 GPA / 170 LSAT Chances @ UCLA?

Postby cavalier1138 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:53 pm

Yeah, I'm also not sure about your career goals, still, so it's hard to say what schools you should be targeting.

User avatar
tofuspeedstar
Posts: 7989
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:54 pm

Re: 2.45 GPA / 170 LSAT Chances @ UCLA?

Postby tofuspeedstar » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:10 pm

To answer your question you initially asked.

You will not get into UCLA with a 2.45/170. Try Pepperdine or Loyola. Maybe even toss one into UC Irvine.

Zoroaster
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:03 am

Re: 2.45 GPA / 170 LSAT Chances @ UCLA?

Postby Zoroaster » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:20 pm

tofuspeedstar wrote:To answer your question you initially asked.

You will not get into UCLA with a 2.45/170. Try Pepperdine or Loyola. Maybe even toss one into UC Irvine.

Why not? Is there any evidence that you can point to? I really don't get this forum as it swings back and forth between cynicism and intellectually laziness targeting personal elements about a post to either tell them they'll fail at law school or that they'll be denied at the law school of their choice.

What I was hoping for was a discussion to examine the nuances of the things that I could do that might improve my chances of getting into UCLA law, as I've done the research that I could do and have found people with slightly similar numbers, like this guy who was accepted, along with a long list of waitlisted people who didn't update their profile to let me know whether they were accepted or not. That latter fact, that there were a lot of people waitlisted, compelled me to post this topic.

So I urge that if you wish to give feedback, please don't not fall back on cynicism or intellectual laziness. It reflects the very vapidity that you guys target in people's questions about their chances or career prospects.

grades??
Posts: 984
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:55 pm

Re: 2.45 GPA / 170 LSAT Chances @ UCLA?

Postby grades?? » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:23 pm

Zoroaster wrote:
tofuspeedstar wrote:To answer your question you initially asked.

You will not get into UCLA with a 2.45/170. Try Pepperdine or Loyola. Maybe even toss one into UC Irvine.

Why not? Is there any evidence that you can point to? I really don't get this forum as it swings back and forth between cynicism and intellectually laziness targeting personal elements about a post to either tell them they'll fail at law school or that they'll be denied at the law school of their choice.

What I was hoping for was a discussion to examine the nuances of the things that I could do that might improve my chances of getting into UCLA law, as I've done the research that I could do and have found people with slightly similar numbers, like this guy who was accepted, along with a long list of waitlisted people who didn't update their profile to let me know whether they were accepted or not. That latter fact, that there were a lot of people waitlisted, compelled me to post this topic.

So I urge that if you wish to give feedback, please don't not fall back on cynicism or intellectual laziness. It reflects the very vapidity that you guys target in people's questions about their chances or career prospects.


Different poster, but you wont get in. Your gpa is brutal and is really really bad. You aren't a URM. The only thing you can do is retake and get that lsat even higher. But regardless, your gpa is an application killer. Might you get waitlisted from WUSTL or something and they decide they really need a decently high lsat every late in the cycle- maybe. But you shouldn't have literally been a C student in college and think you will get into a decent law school. Hows that for intellectual laziness?

ToGetIntoTheBoysHole
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:35 am

Re: 2.45 GPA / 170 LSAT Chances @ UCLA?

Postby ToGetIntoTheBoysHole » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:34 pm

Zoroaster wrote:
tofuspeedstar wrote:To answer your question you initially asked.

You will not get into UCLA with a 2.45/170. Try Pepperdine or Loyola. Maybe even toss one into UC Irvine.

Why not? Is there any evidence that you can point to? I really don't get this forum as it swings back and forth between cynicism and intellectually laziness targeting personal elements about a post to either tell them they'll fail at law school or that they'll be denied at the law school of their choice.

What I was hoping for was a discussion to examine the nuances of the things that I could do that might improve my chances of getting into UCLA law, as I've done the research that I could do and have found people with slightly similar numbers, like this guy who was accepted, along with a long list of waitlisted people who didn't update their profile to let me know whether they were accepted or not. That latter fact, that there were a lot of people waitlisted, compelled me to post this topic.

So I urge that if you wish to give feedback, please don't not fall back on cynicism or intellectual laziness. It reflects the very vapidity that you guys target in people's questions about their chances or career prospects.


Did you post this thread just so someone could tell you that you will get into UCLA or did you want to hear about your realistic chances of being accepted into the school?

It is simple and has nothing to do with your personal situation/post.

A 2.45/170 will in all likelihood get you rejected from UCLA.

"Why not?" .... because your GPA is too low for the school.

This isn't a nuanced discussion, if you want to improve your chances, retake the LSAT and score higher.

If your question is, what chance do I have at being waitlisted at UCLA? I would say it could happen given the info you provided.

If you want to bank on getting off the waitlist, go for it and apply, but don't count on it.

Zoroaster
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:03 am

Re: 2.45 GPA / 170 LSAT Chances @ UCLA?

Postby Zoroaster » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:36 pm

grades?? wrote:
Zoroaster wrote:
tofuspeedstar wrote:To answer your question you initially asked.

You will not get into UCLA with a 2.45/170. Try Pepperdine or Loyola. Maybe even toss one into UC Irvine.

Why not? Is there any evidence that you can point to? I really don't get this forum as it swings back and forth between cynicism and intellectually laziness targeting personal elements about a post to either tell them they'll fail at law school or that they'll be denied at the law school of their choice.

What I was hoping for was a discussion to examine the nuances of the things that I could do that might improve my chances of getting into UCLA law, as I've done the research that I could do and have found people with slightly similar numbers, like this guy who was accepted, along with a long list of waitlisted people who didn't update their profile to let me know whether they were accepted or not. That latter fact, that there were a lot of people waitlisted, compelled me to post this topic.

So I urge that if you wish to give feedback, please don't not fall back on cynicism or intellectual laziness. It reflects the very vapidity that you guys target in people's questions about their chances or career prospects.


Different poster, but you wont get in. Your gpa is brutal and is really really bad. You aren't a URM. The only thing you can do is retake and get that lsat even higher. But regardless, your gpa is an application killer. Might you get waitlisted from WUSTL or something and they decide they really need a decently high lsat every late in the cycle- maybe. But you shouldn't have literally been a C student in college and think you will get into a decent law school. Hows that for intellectual laziness?


Yeah, I guess you didn't read my post, so already you exemplified that intellectual laziness that I've come to observe from this forum. Point of fact, I earned a handful of A+ when I was healthy of mind. But I wasn't able to keep my health consistent, hence failing quarters that led to the GPA. But I guess this post will also fall of deaf ears. I'll just go back and rely on the research and continue to keep my hopes up and consider another go at taking the LSAT to see if I can earn a higher score. But I know one thing for certain, no one knows anything here.

ToGetIntoTheBoysHole
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:35 am

Re: 2.45 GPA / 170 LSAT Chances @ UCLA?

Postby ToGetIntoTheBoysHole » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:39 pm

Zoroaster wrote:
grades?? wrote:
Zoroaster wrote:
tofuspeedstar wrote:To answer your question you initially asked.

You will not get into UCLA with a 2.45/170. Try Pepperdine or Loyola. Maybe even toss one into UC Irvine.

Why not? Is there any evidence that you can point to? I really don't get this forum as it swings back and forth between cynicism and intellectually laziness targeting personal elements about a post to either tell them they'll fail at law school or that they'll be denied at the law school of their choice.

What I was hoping for was a discussion to examine the nuances of the things that I could do that might improve my chances of getting into UCLA law, as I've done the research that I could do and have found people with slightly similar numbers, like this guy who was accepted, along with a long list of waitlisted people who didn't update their profile to let me know whether they were accepted or not. That latter fact, that there were a lot of people waitlisted, compelled me to post this topic.

So I urge that if you wish to give feedback, please don't not fall back on cynicism or intellectual laziness. It reflects the very vapidity that you guys target in people's questions about their chances or career prospects.


Different poster, but you wont get in. Your gpa is brutal and is really really bad. You aren't a URM. The only thing you can do is retake and get that lsat even higher. But regardless, your gpa is an application killer. Might you get waitlisted from WUSTL or something and they decide they really need a decently high lsat every late in the cycle- maybe. But you shouldn't have literally been a C student in college and think you will get into a decent law school. Hows that for intellectual laziness?


Yeah, I guess you didn't read my post, so already you exemplified that intellectual laziness that I've come to observe from this forum. Point of fact, I earned a handful of A+ when I was healthy of mind. But I wasn't able to keep my health consistent, hence failing quarters that led to the GPA. But I guess this post will also fall of deaf ears. I'll just go back and rely on the research and continue to keep my hopes up and consider another go at taking the LSAT to see if I can earn a higher score. But I know one thing for certain, no one knows anything here.


Hahaha okay dude. Have fun with that.

Zoroaster
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:03 am

Re: 2.45 GPA / 170 LSAT Chances @ UCLA?

Postby Zoroaster » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:42 pm

ToGetIntoTheBoysHole wrote:
Zoroaster wrote:
tofuspeedstar wrote:To answer your question you initially asked.

You will not get into UCLA with a 2.45/170. Try Pepperdine or Loyola. Maybe even toss one into UC Irvine.

Why not? Is there any evidence that you can point to? I really don't get this forum as it swings back and forth between cynicism and intellectually laziness targeting personal elements about a post to either tell them they'll fail at law school or that they'll be denied at the law school of their choice.

What I was hoping for was a discussion to examine the nuances of the things that I could do that might improve my chances of getting into UCLA law, as I've done the research that I could do and have found people with slightly similar numbers, like this guy who was accepted, along with a long list of waitlisted people who didn't update their profile to let me know whether they were accepted or not. That latter fact, that there were a lot of people waitlisted, compelled me to post this topic.

So I urge that if you wish to give feedback, please don't not fall back on cynicism or intellectual laziness. It reflects the very vapidity that you guys target in people's questions about their chances or career prospects.


Did you post this thread just so someone could tell you that you will get into UCLA or did you want to hear about your realistic chances of being accepted into the school?

It is simple and has nothing to do with your personal situation/post.

A 2.45/170 will in all likelihood get you rejected from UCLA.

"Why not?" .... because your GPA is too low for the school.

This isn't a nuanced discussion, if you want to improve your chances, retake the LSAT and score higher.

If your question is, what chance do I have at being waitlisted at UCLA? I would say it could happen given the info you provided.

If you want to bank on getting off the waitlist, go for it and apply, but don't count on it.


Thank you, I sincerely appreciate your feedback. I'm teetering on whether to invest/engage in the discipline necessary for a higher score. I wanted to hear more than just, "you'll get rejected 'cause your GPA sucks, so don't even try." I'm looking for the reasoning that you gave, which unfortunately took a bit of big stick wagging to people who can't think in the same manner that I expected of potential or current law students.

I'm thankful I have people who have encouraged me to relit my ambitions and see whether I can realize my potential and live the life that I wish to live. And I'm thankful for people like you who give honest feedback without the egoism that some other users here convey.
Last edited by Zoroaster on Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grades??
Posts: 984
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:55 pm

Re: 2.45 GPA / 170 LSAT Chances @ UCLA?

Postby grades?? » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:43 pm

Zoroaster wrote:
grades?? wrote:
Zoroaster wrote:
tofuspeedstar wrote:To answer your question you initially asked.

You will not get into UCLA with a 2.45/170. Try Pepperdine or Loyola. Maybe even toss one into UC Irvine.

Why not? Is there any evidence that you can point to? I really don't get this forum as it swings back and forth between cynicism and intellectually laziness targeting personal elements about a post to either tell them they'll fail at law school or that they'll be denied at the law school of their choice.

What I was hoping for was a discussion to examine the nuances of the things that I could do that might improve my chances of getting into UCLA law, as I've done the research that I could do and have found people with slightly similar numbers, like this guy who was accepted, along with a long list of waitlisted people who didn't update their profile to let me know whether they were accepted or not. That latter fact, that there were a lot of people waitlisted, compelled me to post this topic.

So I urge that if you wish to give feedback, please don't not fall back on cynicism or intellectual laziness. It reflects the very vapidity that you guys target in people's questions about their chances or career prospects.


Different poster, but you wont get in. Your gpa is brutal and is really really bad. You aren't a URM. The only thing you can do is retake and get that lsat even higher. But regardless, your gpa is an application killer. Might you get waitlisted from WUSTL or something and they decide they really need a decently high lsat every late in the cycle- maybe. But you shouldn't have literally been a C student in college and think you will get into a decent law school. Hows that for intellectual laziness?


Yeah, I guess you didn't read my post, so already you exemplified that intellectual laziness that I've come to observe from this forum. Point of fact, I earned a handful of A+ when I was healthy of mind. But I wasn't able to keep my health consistent, hence failing quarters that led to the GPA. But I guess this post will also fall of deaf ears. I'll just go back and rely on the research and continue to keep my hopes up and consider another go at taking the LSAT to see if I can earn a higher score. But I know one thing for certain, no one knows anything here.


Oh I read your posts. Great, you got some A's. What is your overall GPA? That is what matters. Sorry to break the news to you, but if you haven't realized that now, you never will. You will be judged purely on the 2.45. That is a god awful gpa. You will not into UCLA. For example, that account you linked to is from the 2012-2013 cycle, which was materially easier as a cycle than this cycle. So his results should not be used as a comparison data point, or at least taken with a grain of salt.

Truthfully, you sound like a special snowflake that doesn't like hearing the truth- that your overall gpa sucks and you aren't a URM, the one potentially mitigating factor. So, given this obviously immense amount of data provided, that is my assessment. Take it or leave it. But grow up and realize I don't care what happens whether you get in or not. Just telling you the truth- that you wont get in.

User avatar
tofuspeedstar
Posts: 7989
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:54 pm

Re: 2.45 GPA / 170 LSAT Chances @ UCLA?

Postby tofuspeedstar » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:43 pm

Zoroaster wrote:
tofuspeedstar wrote:To answer your question you initially asked.

You will not get into UCLA with a 2.45/170. Try Pepperdine or Loyola. Maybe even toss one into UC Irvine.

Why not? Is there any evidence that you can point to? I really don't get this forum as it swings back and forth between cynicism and intellectually laziness targeting personal elements about a post to either tell them they'll fail at law school or that they'll be denied at the law school of their choice.

What I was hoping for was a discussion to examine the nuances of the things that I could do that might improve my chances of getting into UCLA law, as I've done the research that I could do and have found people with slightly similar numbers, like this guy who was accepted, along with a long list of waitlisted people who didn't update their profile to let me know whether they were accepted or not. That latter fact, that there were a lot of people waitlisted, compelled me to post this topic.

So I urge that if you wish to give feedback, please don't not fall back on cynicism or intellectual laziness. It reflects the very vapidity that you guys target in people's questions about their chances or career prospects.


I didn't say anything in regards to your intellectual capability. I don't know you. You asked what your chances are to get into UCLA with a 2.45 LSDAS GPA/170 LSAT. I simply went to law school numbers, looked at past cycles, and gave you my honest opinion. If you don't like it, sorry. I also provided you alternate schools that may overlook your GPA that are in the area.

I'm not questioning why you want to go to law school or career prospects. What you decide to do with your life is upto you. You asked a question and I answered it.

But bottom line, you're not getting into UCLA. If you would still like to submit an application, go for it. I am simply trying to save you from wasting money on application fees you could use at another school you have a better shot at.

Unless you had and overcame cancer while in UG and ended up with that 2.45, they're going to ding you. It is well known knowledge if you choose to utilize law school numbers hat UCLA has somewhat of a GPA floor. If you want to ride the waitlist like other LSN users you have used as evidence, go for it. Maybe those are the people you should be reaching out to. Not here.

Best of luck on whatever you decide to do.
Last edited by tofuspeedstar on Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zoroaster
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:03 am

Re: 2.45 GPA / 170 LSAT Chances @ UCLA?

Postby Zoroaster » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:46 pm

grades?? wrote:
Zoroaster wrote:
grades?? wrote:
Zoroaster wrote:
tofuspeedstar wrote:To answer your question you initially asked.

You will not get into UCLA with a 2.45/170. Try Pepperdine or Loyola. Maybe even toss one into UC Irvine.

Why not? Is there any evidence that you can point to? I really don't get this forum as it swings back and forth between cynicism and intellectually laziness targeting personal elements about a post to either tell them they'll fail at law school or that they'll be denied at the law school of their choice.

What I was hoping for was a discussion to examine the nuances of the things that I could do that might improve my chances of getting into UCLA law, as I've done the research that I could do and have found people with slightly similar numbers, like this guy who was accepted, along with a long list of waitlisted people who didn't update their profile to let me know whether they were accepted or not. That latter fact, that there were a lot of people waitlisted, compelled me to post this topic.

So I urge that if you wish to give feedback, please don't not fall back on cynicism or intellectual laziness. It reflects the very vapidity that you guys target in people's questions about their chances or career prospects.


Different poster, but you wont get in. Your gpa is brutal and is really really bad. You aren't a URM. The only thing you can do is retake and get that lsat even higher. But regardless, your gpa is an application killer. Might you get waitlisted from WUSTL or something and they decide they really need a decently high lsat every late in the cycle- maybe. But you shouldn't have literally been a C student in college and think you will get into a decent law school. Hows that for intellectual laziness?


Yeah, I guess you didn't read my post, so already you exemplified that intellectual laziness that I've come to observe from this forum. Point of fact, I earned a handful of A+ when I was healthy of mind. But I wasn't able to keep my health consistent, hence failing quarters that led to the GPA. But I guess this post will also fall of deaf ears. I'll just go back and rely on the research and continue to keep my hopes up and consider another go at taking the LSAT to see if I can earn a higher score. But I know one thing for certain, no one knows anything here.


Oh I read your posts. Great, you got some A's. What is your overall GPA? That is what matters. Sorry to break the news to you, but if you haven't realized that now, you never will. You will be judged purely on the 2.45. That is a god awful gpa. You will not into UCLA. For example, that account you linked to is from the 2012-2013 cycle, which was materially easier as a cycle than this cycle. So his results should not be used as a comparison data point, or at least taken with a grain of salt.

Truthfully, you sound like a special snowflake that doesn't like hearing the truth- that your overall gpa sucks and you aren't a URM, the one potentially mitigating factor. So, given this obviously immense amount of data provided, that is my assessment. Take it or leave it. But grow up and realize I don't care what happens whether you get in or not. Just telling you the truth- that you wont get in.


Ad hominem attacks, generalities without concrete evidence, speaking in pure platitudes… none of which conveys good reasoning skills. Thanks for the attempt at trying but I'm not here for your vanity.

grades??
Posts: 984
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:55 pm

Re: 2.45 GPA / 170 LSAT Chances @ UCLA?

Postby grades?? » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:48 pm

Zoroaster wrote:
grades?? wrote:
Zoroaster wrote:
grades?? wrote:
Zoroaster wrote:
tofuspeedstar wrote:To answer your question you initially asked.

You will not get into UCLA with a 2.45/170. Try Pepperdine or Loyola. Maybe even toss one into UC Irvine.

Why not? Is there any evidence that you can point to? I really don't get this forum as it swings back and forth between cynicism and intellectually laziness targeting personal elements about a post to either tell them they'll fail at law school or that they'll be denied at the law school of their choice.

What I was hoping for was a discussion to examine the nuances of the things that I could do that might improve my chances of getting into UCLA law, as I've done the research that I could do and have found people with slightly similar numbers, like this guy who was accepted, along with a long list of waitlisted people who didn't update their profile to let me know whether they were accepted or not. That latter fact, that there were a lot of people waitlisted, compelled me to post this topic.

So I urge that if you wish to give feedback, please don't not fall back on cynicism or intellectual laziness. It reflects the very vapidity that you guys target in people's questions about their chances or career prospects.


Different poster, but you wont get in. Your gpa is brutal and is really really bad. You aren't a URM. The only thing you can do is retake and get that lsat even higher. But regardless, your gpa is an application killer. Might you get waitlisted from WUSTL or something and they decide they really need a decently high lsat every late in the cycle- maybe. But you shouldn't have literally been a C student in college and think you will get into a decent law school. Hows that for intellectual laziness?


Yeah, I guess you didn't read my post, so already you exemplified that intellectual laziness that I've come to observe from this forum. Point of fact, I earned a handful of A+ when I was healthy of mind. But I wasn't able to keep my health consistent, hence failing quarters that led to the GPA. But I guess this post will also fall of deaf ears. I'll just go back and rely on the research and continue to keep my hopes up and consider another go at taking the LSAT to see if I can earn a higher score. But I know one thing for certain, no one knows anything here.


Oh I read your posts. Great, you got some A's. What is your overall GPA? That is what matters. Sorry to break the news to you, but if you haven't realized that now, you never will. You will be judged purely on the 2.45. That is a god awful gpa. You will not into UCLA. For example, that account you linked to is from the 2012-2013 cycle, which was materially easier as a cycle than this cycle. So his results should not be used as a comparison data point, or at least taken with a grain of salt.

Truthfully, you sound like a special snowflake that doesn't like hearing the truth- that your overall gpa sucks and you aren't a URM, the one potentially mitigating factor. So, given this obviously immense amount of data provided, that is my assessment. Take it or leave it. But grow up and realize I don't care what happens whether you get in or not. Just telling you the truth- that you wont get in.


Ad hominem attacks, generalities without concrete evidence, speaking in pure platitudes… none of which conveys good reasoning skills. Thanks for the attempt at trying but I'm not here for your vanity.


Great use of big words. I provided specifics for my opinion. But honestly you can go fuck yourself. I gave you legitimate, reasoned advice. Your GPA bars you from UCLA. Get a 180, maybe you get in. With a 170, you wont. Enjoy being a conceded prick for the rest of your life.

Zoroaster
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:03 am

Re: 2.45 GPA / 170 LSAT Chances @ UCLA?

Postby Zoroaster » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:53 pm

tofuspeedstar wrote:
Zoroaster wrote:
tofuspeedstar wrote:To answer your question you initially asked.

You will not get into UCLA with a 2.45/170. Try Pepperdine or Loyola. Maybe even toss one into UC Irvine.

Why not? Is there any evidence that you can point to? I really don't get this forum as it swings back and forth between cynicism and intellectually laziness targeting personal elements about a post to either tell them they'll fail at law school or that they'll be denied at the law school of their choice.

What I was hoping for was a discussion to examine the nuances of the things that I could do that might improve my chances of getting into UCLA law, as I've done the research that I could do and have found people with slightly similar numbers, like this guy who was accepted, along with a long list of waitlisted people who didn't update their profile to let me know whether they were accepted or not. That latter fact, that there were a lot of people waitlisted, compelled me to post this topic.

So I urge that if you wish to give feedback, please don't not fall back on cynicism or intellectual laziness. It reflects the very vapidity that you guys target in people's questions about their chances or career prospects.


I didn't say anything in regards to your intellectual capability. I don't know you. You asked what your chances are to get into UCLA with a 2.45 LSDAS GPA/170 LSAT. I simply went to law school numbers, looked at past cycles, and gave you my honest opinion. If you don't like it, sorry. I also provided you alternate schools that may overlook your GPA that are in the area.

I'm not questioning why you want to go to law school or career prospects. What you decide to do with your life is upto you. You asked a question and I answered it.

But bottom line, you're not getting into UCLA. If you would still like to submit an application, go for it. I am simply trying to save you from wasting money on application fees you could use at another school you have a better shot at.

Unless you had and overcame cancer while in UG and ended up with that 2.45, they're going to ding you. It is well known knowledge if you choose to utilize law school numbers hat UCLA has somewhat of a GPA floor. If you want to ride the waitlist like other LSN users you have used as evidence, go for it. Maybe those are the people you should be reaching out to. Not here.

Best of luck on whatever you decide to do.


Ok thank you. If need be I'll be willing to go at it again and see if I can get a better LSAT score. But I'm not sold on the GPA floor given the long list of waitlisted users that didn't change their status. THAT'S why I'm asking. But I take your point and respect it and will likely take it again because I believe that because of the fact that there are many waitlisted users, I'll at least be considered, which goes against the most assertive and fervent of posters writing that I will be denied without a glance. And that's all that I could ask for, whether I can be considered and the likelihood of being accepted. Saying that there's a floor, though, with the list of waitlisted users… seems contradictory.

But if everyone is looking off the same list and coming up with their own interpretations… then this thread is inevitably a pointless discussion.

In all honestly, I'm looking for motivational reasons, of hope, that will encourage a discipline necessary to score well on my next try. And I appreciate those who showed me respect while being honest with me about my situation.

ToGetIntoTheBoysHole
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:35 am

Re: 2.45 GPA / 170 LSAT Chances @ UCLA?

Postby ToGetIntoTheBoysHole » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:55 pm

Last edited by ToGetIntoTheBoysHole on Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Wild Card
Posts: 239
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:48 pm

Re: 2.45 GPA / 170 LSAT Chances @ UCLA?

Postby Wild Card » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:59 pm

I'm under the impression that these days top law schools are so desperate for high-scorers that they'll overlook your GPA. High GPAs are a dime a dozen, after all.

You're already well above their 75th, so it doesn't help you at all to retake the LSAT. You're better off focusing on writing a concise and persuasive GPA addendum.

Zoroaster
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:03 am

Re: 2.45 GPA / 170 LSAT Chances @ UCLA?

Postby Zoroaster » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:05 pm

Wild Card wrote:I'm under the impression that these days top law schools are so desperate for high-scorers that they'll overlook your GPA. High GPAs are a dime a dozen, after all.

You're already well above their 75th, so it doesn't help you at all to retake the LSAT. You're better off focusing on writing a concise and persuasive GPA addendum.

Yeah, I'm torn on this, but I sincerely appreciate the feedback. I'm thinking either to commit to a rigorous discipline to prepare for two LSATs [June/Sept/Dec] LSATs, and considering whether to just risk it and apply with I have for this coming cycle.

And for the sake of honesty, here's the list that I'm viewing from MyLSN.info and why posters think I'm delusion for believing that I have a fighter's chance given that I also see numbers close to mine who were considered, albeit waitlisted:

Accepted 177 2.70 $117500 http://lawschoolnumbers.com/nagster5
Accepted 176 3.00 $0 http://lawschoolnumbers.com/badams91
Accepted 176 2.80 $0 http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Hagenomics
Accepted 174 3.00 $75000 http://lawschoolnumbers.com/amalthea
Accepted 173 2.79 $0 http://lawschoolnumbers.com/freshmaker
Accepted 173 2.66 $0 http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Splitter2014
Accepted 173 2.52 $0 http://lawschoolnumbers.com/The%20Unnamable
Accepted 172 2.80 $0 http://lawschoolnumbers.com/nottaxlaw
Accepted 168 3.00 $0 http://lawschoolnumbers.com/dagwood
Accepted 168 2.65 $0 http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Alaska
Waitlisted -> Accepted 171 3.00 $48000 http://lawschoolnumbers.com/still
Waitlisted -> Accepted 171 2.97 $0 http://lawschoolnumbers.com/ChemE
Waitlisted -> Accepted 170 2.49 $51000 http://lawschoolnumbers.com/d2verge
Waitlisted 180 3.00 $0 http://lawschoolnumbers.com/mcbrains
Waitlisted 179 2.91 $0 http://lawschoolnumbers.com/WatchClosely
Waitlisted 177 2.63 $0 http://lawschoolnumbers.com/trivialine
Waitlisted 176 2.86 $0 http://lawschoolnumbers.com/egrubs
Waitlisted 176 2.60 $0 http://lawschoolnumbers.com/FinanceLawyer
Waitlisted 175 2.90 $0 http://lawschoolnumbers.com/glass
Waitlisted 175 2.80 $0 http://lawschoolnumbers.com/jdb2013
Waitlisted 174 2.98 $0 http://lawschoolnumbers.com/wtb
Waitlisted 174 2.92 $0 http://lawschoolnumbers.com/rgsm1987
Waitlisted 174 2.92 $0 http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Brackket
Waitlisted 174 2.90 $0 http://lawschoolnumbers.com/woeismyugpa
Waitlisted 174 2.75 $0 http://lawschoolnumbers.com/gocards
Waitlisted 174 2.75 $0 http://lawschoolnumbers.com/boredtodeath
Waitlisted 173 2.99 $0 http://lawschoolnumbers.com/dontpanic
Waitlisted 173 2.90 $0 http://lawschoolnumbers.com/GCoop
Waitlisted 173 2.59 $0 http://lawschoolnumbers.com/SplitDecision
Waitlisted 173 2.38 $0 http://lawschoolnumbers.com/splittersdilemma
Waitlisted 172 2.78 $0 http://lawschoolnumbers.com/cpslo12
Waitlisted 171 3.00 $0 http://lawschoolnumbers.com/nickd12095
Waitlisted 171 3.00 $0 http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bloomlaw
Waitlisted 171 3.00 $0 http://lawschoolnumbers.com/joshpart
Waitlisted 171 2.90 $0 http://lawschoolnumbers.com/cdoor
Waitlisted 171 2.90 $0 http://lawschoolnumbers.com/nonunique
Waitlisted 171 2.81 $0 http://lawschoolnumbers.com/ChemBoy613
Waitlisted 171 2.80 $0 http://lawschoolnumbers.com/an0therdatap0int
Waitlisted 171 2.79 $0 http://lawschoolnumbers.com/THE_LOCH_NESSIE
Waitlisted 171 2.70 $0 http://lawschoolnumbers.com/splitacular
Waitlisted 170 3.00 $0 http://lawschoolnumbers.com/kjchilds
Waitlisted 170 3.00 $0 http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Strawmankleos
Waitlisted 170 2.95 $0 http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bunnysaber
Waitlisted 170 2.95 $0 http://lawschoolnumbers.com/cornellhopeful08
Waitlisted 170 2.90 $0 http://lawschoolnumbers.com/tuxedocat
Waitlisted 170 2.83 $0 http://lawschoolnumbers.com/davelinthorst
Waitlisted 170 2.83 $0 http://lawschoolnumbers.com/norenori
Waitlisted 170 2.72 $0 http://lawschoolnumbers.com/AlwaysSplit8s
Waitlisted 169 3.00 $0 http://lawschoolnumbers.com/applicant12345
Waitlisted 169 3.00 $0 http://lawschoolnumbers.com/jcpix09
Waitlisted 169 3.00 $0 http://lawschoolnumbers.com/nuttah
Waitlisted 169 2.69 $0 http://lawschoolnumbers.com/illiac
Waitlisted 168 3.00 $0 http://lawschoolnumbers.com/goodnews
Waitlisted 168 3.00 $0 http://lawschoolnumbers.com/ihope
Waitlisted 168 2.97 $0 http://lawschoolnumbers.com/weaksplit
Waitlisted 168 2.91 $0 http://lawschoolnumbers.com/hanestagless
Waitlisted 168 2.90 $0 http://lawschoolnumbers.com/calibby
Waitlisted 168 2.83 $0 http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Ubermaus
Waitlisted 167 3.00 $0 http://lawschoolnumbers.com/workingout
Waitlisted 167 3.00 $0 http://lawschoolnumbers.com/GreenMilkTea
Waitlisted 167 2.95 $0 http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Lakers82and0
Waitlisted 167 2.85 $0 http://lawschoolnumbers.com/about_time
Waitlisted 167 2.56 $0 http://lawschoolnumbers.com/johnnyrocket45
Waitlisted 166 3.00 $0 http://lawschoolnumbers.com/nanonano
Waitlisted -> Denied 176 3.00 $0 http://lawschoolnumbers.com/CSEMajor
Waitlisted -> Denied 176 2.80 $0 http://lawschoolnumbers.com/whimsical
Waitlisted -> Denied 173 2.52 $0 http://lawschoolnumbers.com/luukaas
Waitlisted -> Denied 169 2.87 $0 http://lawschoolnumbers.com/TALC
Waitlisted -> Denied 165 3.00 $0 http://lawschoolnumbers.com/BubbaGump

ToGetIntoTheBoysHole
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:35 am

Re: 2.45 GPA / 170 LSAT Chances @ UCLA?

Postby ToGetIntoTheBoysHole » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:09 pm

Wild Card wrote:I'm under the impression that these days top law schools are so desperate for high-scorers that they'll overlook your GPA. High GPAs are a dime a dozen, after all.

You're already well above their 75th, so it doesn't help you at all to retake the LSAT. You're better off focusing on writing a concise and persuasive GPA addendum.


Terrible advice for UCLA.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: black_mirror and 4 guests