3.82 GPA/151 LSAT/ AA

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
KDavis95

New

3.82 GPA/151 LSAT/ AA

Postby KDavis95 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:15 pm

Hey guys. I got a lot of fee waivers from schools so I'm going to try my luck and see if I can get in anywhere. Please do not tell me to retake. If I don't get in anywhere, I will wait until next cycle. I don't mind paying sticker as I have already got my law school money saved up. Anyway, please let me know where I have a shot at. I chose my schools based on location as well because I've been to all of those states/areas and wouldn't mind practicing law there if I got "stuck". Thanks in advance!

Stats:
3.82 LSAC GPA
151 LSAT
African American
Great recs from 2 law professors that know me well, worked at 2 law firms, volunteered for 2 political campaigns and worked for my congressman. Very active on campus and many honors and awards. Personal statement is also pretty good.

Schools I'm applying to (I was offered merit waivers for all but a few based on my GPA I'm guessing)
GU (no fee waiver)
GW (no fee waiver)
American U
Hastings
Loyola (in Cali)
U of San diego
Fordham (no fee waiver)
St. John’s
cardozo
brooklyn
university of connecticut
Emory
BU (no fee waiver)
BC (no fee waiver)
Northeastern
William and Mary
W&Lee
U of Illinois
U of Maryland
Vanderbilt
Michigan State
washington university in st. louis
University of Michigan

Ferrisjso

Gold

Re: 3.82 GPA/151 LSAT/ AA

Postby Ferrisjso » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:51 pm

KDavis95 wrote:Hey guys. I got a lot of fee waivers from schools so I'm going to try my luck and see if I can get in anywhere. Please do not tell me to retake. If I don't get in anywhere, I will wait until next cycle. I don't mind paying sticker as I have already got my law school money saved up. Anyway, please let me know where I have a shot at. I chose my schools based on location as well because I've been to all of those states/areas and wouldn't mind practicing law there if I got "stuck". Thanks in advance!

Stats:
3.82 LSAC GPA
151 LSAT
African American
Great recs from 2 law professors that know me well, worked at 2 law firms, volunteered for 2 political campaigns and worked for my congressman. Very active on campus and many honors and awards. Personal statement is also pretty good.

Schools I'm applying to (I was offered merit waivers for all but a few based on my GPA I'm guessing)
GU (no fee waiver)
GW (no fee waiver)
American U
Hastings
Loyola (in Cali)
U of San diego
Fordham (no fee waiver)
St. John’s
cardozo
brooklyn
university of connecticut
Emory
BU (no fee waiver)
BC (no fee waiver)
Northeastern
William and Mary
W&Lee
U of Illinois
U of Maryland
Vanderbilt
Michigan State
washington university in st. louis
University of Michigan

Damm, you're in a luckier situation than most, financially. Seeing as you're a pretty lopsided GPA splitter this would be tough to predict(I'll leave it to someone more experienced, I'm a 0L also). I'm posting because I got accepted to three of the schools on your list and am also a GPA splitter(though not nearly as lopsided). I have a 3.5 GPA and a 156 and I got Cardozo, Brookyn and UCONN so far(with $) and i've applied to 4 other schools on your list(W&L, W&M, Michigan and Vandy,haven't heard back from any of them yet but I'm expecting to go 1-3 or 2-2 with obvious rejections from Michigan and Vandy). You probably won't get Michigan, Vanderbilt or Georgetown but your GPA is so high I don't think anything is quite off the table from your list(other posters will be able to tell you more about that) especially with the URM boost. You'd have to pay sticker probably at the best places on your list, but if you are lucky enough to have 200-300k laying around somewhere going for it might be worth it. You are going to get accepted to a bunch of places on this list if you really do apply to them all. I'd recommend narrowing down the amount of places you want to practice, as there's a good chance you'll be spending the rest of your life in the region you went to law school(I don't agree with the retake crowd here on much, but they are totally right that the T-14 alone offers national reach and most other schools only feed a specific market). I applied to schools in three states mainly(states that you apparently considering as well looking at your list) and I'm really torn about where I want to live/practice. It is likely with your current list you will be choosing between even more regions than I am(you currently have schools from 12 markets on your list). I also want to tell you that while you can certainly get an outcome you like with your current numbers, with a 151 you should probably retake the LSAT(unless you've taken it three times in which case yeah, don't wait for law school). ANY increase in your score will make the best schools on your list more likely with your awesome GPA and with your score a minor increase is probably much more likely than say someone with a 160. I'm sorry for bringing that up, I understand the frustration of people not sticking to the OP instructions, but it should be noted. Good luck though!

KDavis95

New

Postby KDavis95 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:23 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:
Damm, you're in a luckier situation than most being able to pay. Seeing as you're a pretty lopsided GPA splitter this would be tough to predict(I'll leave it to someone more experienced, I'm a 0L also). I'm posting because I got accepted to three of the schools on your list and am also a GPA splitter(though not nearly as lopsided). I have a 3.5 GPA and a 156 and I got Cardozo, Brookyn and UCONN so far(with $) and i've applied to 4 other schools on your list(W&L, W&M, Michigan and Vandy,haven't heard back from any of them yet but I'm expecting to go 1-3 or 2-2 with obvious rejections from Michigan and Vandy). You probably won't get Michigan, Vanderbilt or Georgetown but your GPA is so high I don't think anything is quite off the table from your list(other posters will be able to tell you more about that) especially with the URM boost. You'd have to pay sticker probably at the best places on your list, but if you are lucky enough to have 200-300k laying around somewhere going for it might be worth it. You are going to get accepted to a bunch of places on this list if you really do apply to them all. I'd recommend narrowing down the amount of places you want to practice, as there's a good chance you'll be spending the rest of your life in the region you went to law school(I don't agree with the retake crowd here on much, but they are totally right that the T-14 alone offers national reach and most other schools only feed a specific market). I applied to schools in three states mainly(where I have a chance of being admitted) and I'm really torn about where I want to live/practice. It is likely with your current list you will be choosing between even more regions than I am. Best of luck.

Thanks for your input :) Yeah I had a full ride for undergrad so I was able to save on top of what I was going to originally use for Undergrad. Yeah I don't have much hope for Michigan, Vanderbilt, or Georgetown. I won't be surprised if I'm denied at the top 20 but it could be so unpredictable. I mostly would like to stay in New England (I'm a New Yorker), so when my acceptances come in, those schools will be prioritized :)

Ferrisjso

Gold

Postby Ferrisjso » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:45 pm

KDavis95 wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
Damm, you're in a luckier situation than most being able to pay. Seeing as you're a pretty lopsided GPA splitter this would be tough to predict(I'll leave it to someone more experienced, I'm a 0L also). I'm posting because I got accepted to three of the schools on your list and am also a GPA splitter(though not nearly as lopsided). I have a 3.5 GPA and a 156 and I got Cardozo, Brookyn and UCONN so far(with $) and i've applied to 4 other schools on your list(W&L, W&M, Michigan and Vandy,haven't heard back from any of them yet but I'm expecting to go 1-3 or 2-2 with obvious rejections from Michigan and Vandy). You probably won't get Michigan, Vanderbilt or Georgetown but your GPA is so high I don't think anything is quite off the table from your list(other posters will be able to tell you more about that) especially with the URM boost. You'd have to pay sticker probably at the best places on your list, but if you are lucky enough to have 200-300k laying around somewhere going for it might be worth it. You are going to get accepted to a bunch of places on this list if you really do apply to them all. I'd recommend narrowing down the amount of places you want to practice, as there's a good chance you'll be spending the rest of your life in the region you went to law school(I don't agree with the retake crowd here on much, but they are totally right that the T-14 alone offers national reach and most other schools only feed a specific market). I applied to schools in three states mainly(where I have a chance of being admitted) and I'm really torn about where I want to live/practice. It is likely with your current list you will be choosing between even more regions than I am. Best of luck.

Thanks for your input :) Yeah I had a full ride for undergrad so I was able to save on top of what I was going to originally use for Undergrad. Yeah I don't have much hope for Michigan, Vanderbilt, or Georgetown. I won't be surprised if I'm denied at the top 20 but it could be so unpredictable. I mostly would like to stay in New England (I'm a New Yorker), so when my acceptances come in, those schools will be prioritized :)

Interesting, I'm a New Yorker also who prefers New England(for me it's Connecticut specifically because I go to UG there).

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:11 am

I'm not clear on your career goals. You mention that you'd be happy practicing in any of the states that you picked (which is weird, because you picked states that offer radically different law practice options and lifestyles), but you didn't say what kind of job you want after school.

Just based on your list, I think you have no chance at the T14 choices (and it's also weird that you only picked two schools that are separated quite a bit in the rankings), an outside chance at some of your T20 picks, and decent chances at your lower-tier local schools. But if you don't want a job in the areas that a schools like UConn can get you, you shouldn't be applying to schools like UConn in the first place. So it's important to know what career you envision for yourself beyond "lawyer".

Return to “What are my chances??