168 LSAT, 3.38 GPA Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
calibanrain

New

168 LSAT, 3.38 GPA

Post by calibanrain » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:51 am

post deleted
Last edited by calibanrain on Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:22 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Specter1389

Bronze

Re: 168 LSATs, 3.39 GPA + Early Decision?

Post by Specter1389 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:21 am

Unless you are independently wealthy, don't ED to any schools you listed other than Northwestern. Unfortunately, I think the deadline to ED for them has passed. While the other ones are great schools, they're not worth the debt you would incur to attend at sticker. You also would probably need a much better LSAT score to be competitive under Northwestern's ED program because of the large scholarship that comes with it.

If I were you, I would blanket the lower T-14. You'll probably get one or two to bite, and might get a small scholarship. You're looking at acceptances with some decent scholarships at the schools you listed outside of the T-14. If you don't like your options, sit out this cycle, retake in June, and apply when applications open next year. With a 170+ you're looking at much better options.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:24 am

As mentioned, you'll probably do OK at the lower T14, but you'll pay full price.

And do not, under any circumstances, apply to any of the schools you listed (except Northwestern and WashU) ED. ED does not raise your chances of getting in, but it guarantees that if you are admitted, you'll pay sticker. Northwestern and WashU come with guaranteed full or close-to-full scholarships for ED admissions. Those are the only programs that are worth an early app.

calibanrain

New

Post by calibanrain » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:55 am

Specter1389 wrote:Unless you are independently wealthy, don't ED to any schools you listed other than Northwestern. Unfortunately, I think the deadline to ED for them has passed. While the other ones are great schools, they're not worth the debt you would incur to attend at sticker. You also would probably need a much better LSAT score to be competitive under Northwestern's ED program because of the large scholarship that comes with it.

If I were you, I would blanket the lower T-14. You'll probably get one or two to bite, and might get a small scholarship. You're looking at acceptances with some decent scholarships at the schools you listed outside of the T-14. If you don't like your options, sit out this cycle, retake in June, and apply when applications open next year. With a 170+ you're looking at much better options.
Yeah, I edited my original post to reflect your points. Money isn't a big concern for me, and I'm specifically interested in UVA early decision, which is due on March 6th. Basically I was looking to get into that lower half T-14 (and UCLA) but it seems like I have less than a 50% shot of getting into all of them, which is why I thought early decision might significantly boost my chances to hit a top 10 school.

calibanrain

New

Post by calibanrain » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:57 am

cavalier1138 wrote:As mentioned, you'll probably do OK at the lower T14, but you'll pay full price.

And do not, under any circumstances, apply to any of the schools you listed (except Northwestern and WashU) ED. ED does not raise your chances of getting in, but it guarantees that if you are admitted, you'll pay sticker. Northwestern and WashU come with guaranteed full or close-to-full scholarships for ED admissions. Those are the only programs that are worth an early app.
Really? It doesn't increase chances? Admittedly I'm super behind on figuring this stuff out, but I was looking at this post http://admissionsbythenumbers.blogspot. ... op-14.html which seems to indicate that ED can help splitters in particular. And yeah, forgot to include in my original post, but money isn't a big factor for me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:59 am

calibanrain wrote:Money isn't a big concern for me.
Do you mean that you're independently wealthy, your parents are financing your education, or that you just don't like thinking about how you're going to pay off $300k in debt?

But again, no. Applying ED does not increase your chances of admission, just your chances of not getting any money if you are admitted. The blog you looked at doesn't account for when these people applied in the cycle, etc. He's also just using the self-reported numbers on MyLSN which cannot be taken as gospel for any real statistical analysis. I guarantee you that you do not quadruple your chances of admission by applying to UVA ED.

calibanrain

New

Post by calibanrain » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:05 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
calibanrain wrote:Money isn't a big concern for me.
Do you mean that you're independently wealthy, your parents are financing your education, or that you just don't like thinking about how you're going to pay off $300k in debt?

But again, no. Applying ED does not increase your chances of admission, just your chances of not getting any money if you are admitted. The blog you looked at doesn't account for when these people applied in the cycle, etc. He's also just using the self-reported numbers on MyLSN which cannot be taken as gospel for any real statistical analysis. I guarantee you that you do not quadruple your chances of admission by applying to UVA ED.
Parents, and ok thanks

floatie

Silver

Post by floatie » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:41 am

At UVA in particular, ED can give you a slight boost since they're weird about YP.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”