163, 2.91 Hispanic Male: Boston University Chances this cycle Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
jg_

New

163, 2.91 Hispanic Male: Boston University Chances this cycle

Post by jg_ » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:43 am

Firstly, I am retaking in February provided I can locate the spirit to resume studying. December was my first take and my results were:

RC: -4
LR: -5; -6
LG: -7 (missed 5 out of the last 6 questions. the last game really fucked me).

I did my undergrad at BU (class of 2013) and want to apply this cycle. No compelling excuse for my GPA and I'll do my best to write a not boring version of the "i was young and stupid my first year" addendum that I'm certain they're all tired of reading (2.0 GPA freshman year, nothing below a 3.1 the rest of my semesters).

LOR's from one of my BU professors and my employer who's a litigator in NYC. Assuming my PT/Diversity Statement is above average and perhaps even memorable, is BU still a reach?

My GPA sucks and I'm applying "'late", to say nothing of the fact that BU's LSAT median apparently went up to 164 this cycle. Obviously being below both medians is no bueno and I'm hoping to score at least a 164 on my re-take.

I'm an old man now (25) and feel it's this cycle or bust. If I don't do better in February, are my odds grim?

cavalier1138

Re: 163, 2.91 Hispanic Male: Boston University Chances this cycle

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:20 am

If you're considered a URM (not always the case for some Hispanic backgrounds), you might have a shot. But you'll pay sticker if you do make it in.

Your reasons for not waiting another cycle (the February retest is a great way to underperform your numbers, regardless of how much you improve) are ridiculous. You're 25, not 45. It is not "this cycle or bust" by any means, and that kind of stupid, rushed decision-making will put you deep in debt at a school you didn't want to attend in the first place. Do yourself a favor and wait a cycle. Retake in February (assuming you already registered), and then retake in June if you still aren't doing as well as you want.

jg_

New

Re: 163, 2.91 Hispanic Male: Boston University Chances this cycle

Post by jg_ » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:18 am

Thank you for your response. I can't wait another cycle, I'm too unhappy with my current situation. Regarding the differentiating between Hispanics, I'm kinda miffed to be reading a lot of information that validates that. Affirmative action has been my mother's milk my whole life! Why would it abandon me now? if you're granting boosts based on a literal definition of "under-represented" minority, it seems strange to me to draw a line between Mexicans & Puerto Ricans, and everything else. It seems like such a random line in the sand*

*unbiased opinion based on not a single chart or graphic or scrap of data, but I suspect dominicans are no less "under-represented" than puerto ricans. is the puerto rico thing an olive branch to us raping their country without granting statehood? are there aliens in fort knox?

thanks for taking the time to write. i'm going to take my impatient ass to the library this weekend to drill logic games.

Return to “What are my chances?”