ED or not? International/164/3.7

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
louis2502

New

ED or not? International/164/3.7

Postby louis2502 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:41 am

Hello,

I am wondering if I should use ED or not for applications to T14 schools (being very optimistic...!)

Just got disappointing results from Dec LSAT....

I graduated from Tufts magna cum laude with a double major in Philosophy and Political Science.

I am a white male international applicant from France.

I know my chances are low, but I am still within the 25% range for lower-mid T14.

I am hesitating to apply ED to Georgetown. However, I am afraid that, however unlikely, I could get into a school I prefer (Berkeley, NYU or UPenn). I'm not sure if I should use the ED 'boost'.... What do you think?

I have a good CV with lots of original work (including being a news anchor on a Mongolian TV channel) and a pretty good personal statement (I think). My recommendations should be good as well, as those professors were quite impressed with my work.

I know my chances are low but I got into a decent university with below average scores for that school so I'm hoping it may happen again!

Thanks for your reply !

cavalier1138

Gold

Re: ED or not? International/164/3.7

Postby cavalier1138 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:35 am

You're not a strong contender for any of the T14 with that score, especially not NYU or Penn (Berkeley is a little more of a black box, so who knows?).

But to answer your main question: no. You should only apply ED to a school that guarantees a scholarship with that ED (so only Northwestern in the T14). There is no ED "boost" for schools, unless you're referring to the "boost" the school gets to its income when it admits another student who has to pay full price because they decided to throw away all their bargaining power on applying ED.

louis2502

New

Postby louis2502 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:06 am

cavalier1138 wrote:You're not a strong contender for any of the T14 with that score, especially not NYU or Penn (Berkeley is a little more of a black box, so who knows?).

But to answer your main question: no. You should only apply ED to a school that guarantees a scholarship with that ED (so only Northwestern in the T14). There is no ED "boost" for schools, unless you're referring to the "boost" the school gets to its income when it admits another student who has to pay full price because they decided to throw away all their bargaining power on applying ED.

Yes I mean the boost you get from applying to a school that knows you will attend if you are accepted. It makes it more attractive for them to accept you because you are 'in the bag'.

But I would prefer to go to Berkeley than to Georgetown so I'm not sure if I should put all my chips on Georgetown. Berkeley ED is no longer possible.

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:15 am

louis2502 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:You're not a strong contender for any of the T14 with that score, especially not NYU or Penn (Berkeley is a little more of a black box, so who knows?).

Yes I mean the boost you get from applying to a school that knows you will attend if you are accepted. It makes it more attractive for them to accept you because you are 'in the bag'.

But I would prefer to go to Berkeley than to Georgetown so I'm not sure if I should put all my chips on Georgetown. Berkeley ED is no longer possible.

I don't think my sarcasm translated well...

This is not undergrad. You do not get an ED "boost" to your application, in the sense that you will not get in to NYU because they're really excited to guarantee a student in the class with an LSAT 5 points below their median. An ED application does not make admissions easier. All it does is make things easier for the school when they admit a student who would have gotten in normally and don't have to offer them any scholarship funding.

It's a dumb move. Don't do it. Just retake the LSAT until you can actually get in somewhere you want to go.

Return to “What are my chances??