Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Nightwing

Bronze

Postby Nightwing » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:59 am

Nvm
Last edited by Nightwing on Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AJordan

Bronze

Re: 3.58 and 171 on third take

Postby AJordan » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:41 am

Do you need money? Blanket T-14 for sure with UCLA/Texas would be my strat. If money is a serious issue add WUSTL for the warm fuzzy of their full ride in your decision process if you even have like a 5% chance of attending with that FR. You are probably a good candidate for outside consulting as well as this could help you bump into CCN which seems to be your goal. MVPN I would be surprised if you didn't get into two of them on average. Money is a different issue. Prob in at both UCLA/Texas and competitive for at least some money so may as well throw an app if you can see yourself living in Dallas/Houston/LA. You seem a very strong candidate. I'd be psyched if I had your numbers.

Nightwing

Bronze

Postby Nightwing » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:46 am

Thanks a lot. I was just wondering what you meant by outside consulting?
Last edited by Nightwing on Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AJordan

Bronze

Re: 3.58 and 171 on third take

Postby AJordan » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:13 pm

Outside consulting meaning hiring a law school admissions consultant. I won't mention any specifically but they can be found with a simple Google search. I am not in the business of consulting, I'm a lowly 0L like yourself.

I'll pontificate on what I meant though. Let's say you're a bubble candidate for 3 schools you want to go to. Hypothetically you're 50% to get into each if you do it on your own. That gets you .5(.5)(.5) or a 12.5% chance of not getting into a single one of them. If a law school consulting agency could bump you just to 60% chance at each school your chance of striking out halves to ~6%.

Alternatively let's say you're ~30% chance to get into the schools you want. If the consultant could get you to a 45% chance you again experience a halving of your chances of striking out from 34% to 17%.

Your rejection numbers judging by the calculator I'm looking at are: Col: 72.5% Chi: 51.16% NYU: 31.58% which puts you at about a 12% of striking out assuming you're a relatively average candidate.

I understand this is a gross simplification, but I do think this math is useful for deciding if consulting is for you. You can use the admissions % calculators to mess around with the numbers. It's also important to take into account the possibilities of getting a scholarship from some lower institutions that you would attend if money was an issue with help from consulting. Outside consultants might be able to find something about you that take you from being a dead average candidate to a slightly above average candidate or at least an above average candidate compared to others with your numbers. When you're on the bubble every little bit helps.

Return to “What are my chances??