AA URM M 2.60 160~

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
blacmomba

New

AA URM M 2.60 160~

Postby blacmomba » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:01 pm

Posted this in URM but maybe i can get some more insight here. I just have a couple questions. I'm a first gen immigrant from Canada and my parents are first gen immigrants from Ghana. I finally decided in November that I wanted to go to Law School and do a joint degree after working at a law firm for about a year or so. I graduated this past spring and my gpa kind of sucked. (2.6 :cry: ) Luckily, my Academic Add and Work experience are (in my opinion) good enough to at least explain for it (Grandma was sick and passed away resulting in a really bad couple semesters, switched majors, played sports on scholarship, held multiple leadership positions, did international work with NGOs, and have work in Immigration/Legal field for almost 2 years). I am taking the LSAT in February and have been studying my butt off to try and get a 160+. Right now I'm not going to go for a T14 school and am more focused on schools that have the joint degree I'm interested in.

I have two questions; should I just wait for the next cycle and get more experience (I just accepted a spring/summer fellowship with a Government lobbying firm in DC) or try now?

Like i said before my Softs are strong and my letter of recs are good as well. Do I have a chance at any one of these schools? American, Boston, Denver, FSU, George Mason, Northeastern, Penn State, Pitt, Seton Hall, UDC? I want to get a joint degree in International Law or Global Conflict resolution. Thanks in advance

youngwarrior

New

Re: AA URM M 2.60 160~

Postby youngwarrior » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:50 pm

blacmomba wrote:Posted this in URM but maybe i can get some more insight here. I just have a couple questions. I'm a first gen immigrant from Canada and my parents are first gen immigrants from Ghana. I finally decided in November that I wanted to go to Law School and do a joint degree after working at a law firm for about a year or so. I graduated this past spring and my gpa kind of sucked. (2.6 :cry: ) Luckily, my Academic Add and Work experience are (in my opinion) good enough to at least explain for it (Grandma was sick and passed away resulting in a really bad couple semesters, switched majors, played sports on scholarship, held multiple leadership positions, did international work with NGOs, and have work in Immigration/Legal field for almost 2 years). I am taking the LSAT in February and have been studying my butt off to try and get a 160+. Right now I'm not going to go for a T14 school and am more focused on schools that have the joint degree I'm interested in.

I have two questions; should I just wait for the next cycle and get more experience (I just accepted a spring/summer fellowship with a Government lobbying firm in DC) or try now?

Like i said before my Softs are strong and my letter of recs are good as well. Do I have a chance at any one of these schools? American, Boston, Denver, FSU, George Mason, Northeastern, Penn State, Pitt, Seton Hall, UDC? I want to get a joint degree in International Law or Global Conflict resolution. Thanks in advance

Fellow black Canadian here. First question I have is whether you are fully set on going stateside for law school. If your last 2 or three years is substantially better than your CGPA, you might be better off applying to the Canadian schools that take for best 3 or 2 years, (Western, Dalhousie, U of T come to mind). Further school in Canada is much less expensive. With your stats it's not likely that you'll get any $$ from the schools that admit you and being > 300k USD in debt after graduating from non t14 isn't really ideal. If you'd like to discuss further shoot me PM.

blacmomba

New

Re: AA URM M 2.60 160~

Postby blacmomba » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:54 pm

youngwarrior wrote:
blacmomba wrote:Posted this in URM but maybe i can get some more insight here. I just have a couple questions. I'm a first gen immigrant from Canada and my parents are first gen immigrants from Ghana. I finally decided in November that I wanted to go to Law School and do a joint degree after working at a law firm for about a year or so. I graduated this past spring and my gpa kind of sucked. (2.6 :cry: ) Luckily, my Academic Add and Work experience are (in my opinion) good enough to at least explain for it (Grandma was sick and passed away resulting in a really bad couple semesters, switched majors, played sports on scholarship, held multiple leadership positions, did international work with NGOs, and have work in Immigration/Legal field for almost 2 years). I am taking the LSAT in February and have been studying my butt off to try and get a 160+. Right now I'm not going to go for a T14 school and am more focused on schools that have the joint degree I'm interested in.

Fellow black Canadian here. First question I have is whether you are fully set on going stateside for law school. If your last 2 or three years is substantially better than your CGPA, you might be better off applying to the Canadian schools that take for best 3 or 2 years, (Western, Dalhousie, U of T come to mind). Further school in Canada is much less expensive. With your stats it's not likely that you'll get any $$ from the schools that admit you and being > 300k USD in debt after graduating from non t14 isn't really ideal. If you'd like to discuss further shoot me PM.

Totally forgot to put, my family moved to the states and I'm a dual citizen now so I have residency in the states! Canadian schools are not out of the equation and money isn't as big of an issue but I would like to go somewhere I can pay less money.

Return to “What are my chances??