3.45/171/URM/2.5 Years Out of College

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
TLS_Dreamer

New

3.45/171/URM/2.5 Years Out of College

Postby TLS_Dreamer » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:44 pm

Maybe I just can't figure out how to use MyLSN, but it looks like they don't have a lot of data for a URM like me:

http://mylsn.info/8tb2tn

I'm a Mexican-American, first-generation college grad.

I got a 3.45 at a prestigious undergrad. I have an addendum explaining that my GPA freshman year was about 3.0, but junior and senior year I hovered between 3.7 and 3.8 which I believe is more reflective of my abilities. I worked 20-30 hours per week throughout college because my parents couldn't afford it, which is another reason my GPA isn't higher. I worked exclusively through paid internships with think tanks/government so I have 8 paid internships under my belt.

After I graduated, I worked for less than 2 years in a mid-level position on a congressional committee where I wrote several laws and worked on congressional hearings. I now work in government relations in a management position.

I got a 171 on the LSAT (freaking Eileen Gray).

I applied to each T-14 except Columbia and Berkeley (they didn't give me fee waivers and I don't really want to go there). I also applied to UT, Vandy, and WUSTL.

What do you think my chances are at these schools?

I'd very much appreciate hearing any thoughts you may have, and thanks so much for your time!

trebekismyhero

Silver

Re: 3.45/171/URM/2.5 Years Out of College

Postby trebekismyhero » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:56 pm

With the URM boost probably in everywhere below HYS and I would think pretty likely at H and a shot at YS.

AJordan

Bronze

Postby AJordan » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:10 pm

If you know you biffed an RC passage that cost you 174ish you may want to take it again. Could be the difference between NYU and Yale.

TLS_Dreamer

New

Postby TLS_Dreamer » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:31 pm

AJordan wrote:If you know you biffed an RC passage that cost you 174ish you may want to take it again. Could be the difference between NYU and Yale.

That's not a bad idea. I missed nine on the RC passage because Eileen Gray took me forever and then I was rushed for time on the last three passages. Stupid mistake.

I'm hoping to not have to wait another year to go to school if possible though!

sleepingjoker

New

Postby sleepingjoker » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:22 pm

TLS_Dreamer wrote:
AJordan wrote:If you know you biffed an RC passage that cost you 174ish you may want to take it again. Could be the difference between NYU and Yale.

That's not a bad idea. I missed nine on the RC passage because Eileen Gray took me forever and then I was rushed for time on the last three passages. Stupid mistake.

I'm hoping to not have to wait another year to go to school if possible though!

Think of it this way - if you retake and get 175+ that year of studying could be worth over $100k over the next three years.

TLS_Dreamer

New

Postby TLS_Dreamer » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:32 am

sleepingjoker wrote:Think of it this way - if you retake and get 175+ that year of studying could be worth over $100k over the next three years.

Haha that sounds worse since I think I'm likely to make $180k 4 years from now if I go to law school this year. If I defer, I miss out on one year of $180k, meaning I net loose $80k even if I get $100k in scholly.

TLS_Dreamer

New

Postby TLS_Dreamer » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:32 am

trebekismyhero wrote:With the URM boost probably in everywhere below HYS and I would think pretty likely at H and a shot at YS.

Wow, I wish!

PrezRand

Gold

Postby PrezRand » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:39 am

I think what they mean is that 175+ would guarantee you full-rides and probably one at CCN. You might even get YS, That is worth more than taking 180k, getting taxed, and then having to pay off any loans you get if you didnt get a full-ride somewhere

BlendedUnicorn

Platinum

Postby BlendedUnicorn » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:42 am

TLS_Dreamer wrote:
sleepingjoker wrote:Think of it this way - if you retake and get 175+ that year of studying could be worth over $100k over the next three years.

Haha that sounds worse since I think I'm likely to make $180k 4 years from now if I go to law school this year. If I defer, I miss out on one year of $180k, meaning I net loose $80k even if I get $100k in scholly.

Nah, you're missing a few things in this calculus:

1) Scholarships are not only tax free, they also reduce the amount of $$$ you have to pay back eventually with interest. This alone narrows the gap between the value of a scholly worth $100k and the value of making $180k 4 years from now.

2) The first few years of your legal career are likely to be some of the highest earning of your career. If you could guarantee that you'd make partner at a firm, it would make sense (economically) to race there as quickly as possible to maximize the number of productive years you have in the workforce even if that means taking on more debt. However, it's far more likely that you're going to get 2-4 years of biglaw salary no matter when you start and then move on to take a lower paying job. So whether you start now or 5 years ago, the most likely outcome is that you net something like $3-500k from biglaw and it's way better for you in the long run if you don't have to apply that to loans.

3) Time-value of money

4) Take advantage of the time before law school. You're still young, there's absolutely no reason to rush into this career.

BlendedUnicorn

Platinum

Postby BlendedUnicorn » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:44 am

Basically your expected return over the course of your career is higher if you get a scholarship one year later than it is if you pay to go a year earlier. And you'll be happier because that will be one less year overall in law.

Return to “What are my chances??