Nontraditional (Probable) Splitter: Where Should I Realistically Look?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
baxter

New

Nontraditional (Probable) Splitter: Where Should I Realistically Look?

Postby baxter » Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:18 pm

Finally decided to take the plunge and go to law school in Fall 2018 (I'll be 31 :shock:) and would like some advice on what are realistic options for me. I got my bachelor's degree in January 2009 and have been working in publishing, higher ed administration, and nonprofit communications (education-focused) since graduating. I want to represent unions/workers and really like the idea of being an in-house attorney for a labor organization or working for a small/mid-sized firm that represents labor.

LSDAS GPA: 3.36 from a top-tier private university, history major, graduated early—had a tough time adjusting to the rigors of college work and was sub-3.0 my first semester but have a definitive upward trend (sophomore-senior year is 3.47, junior-senior is 3.55). I also did a semester's worth of liberal arts grad work at an Ivy League university where I got a 3.67.

LSAT: I just took the June 2007 diagnostic test and got a 153 without having consulted any prep books, materials, etc. I plan to take the LSAT in September and use the PowerScore Self-Study Package + several dozen PTs and am aiming for 165-170.

Because going into Biglaw is not a priority for me, would it be worth it to try to apply to any T20 schools? I really like the idea of minimizing cost if a high-profile job isn't my goal, so have been looking into schools like Ohio State, Illinois, and Temple (I'm relocating to Philly for work soon so would be in-state and think I could qualify for the Beasley Scholarship if my LSAT is high enough), but would definitely consider paying more for somewhere better with great employment prospects if I could get in.

All help is much appreciated; thank you!

grades??

Silver

Re: Nontraditional (Probable) Splitter: Where Should I Realistically Look?

Postby grades?? » Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:22 pm

Honestly come back with an Lsat score. We can't really help you until then.

baxter

New

Postby baxter » Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:33 pm

grades?? wrote:Honestly come back with an Lsat score. We can't really help you until then.

As I said, applying for fall 2018 and taking the LSAT in September, so I was just trying to get an early gauge.

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:46 pm

baxter wrote:
grades?? wrote:Honestly come back with an Lsat score. We can't really help you until then.

As I said, applying for fall 2018 and taking the LSAT in September, so I was just trying to get an early gauge.

There is no early gauge, because you don't have an LSAT. In terms of your goals: you can aim for any strong regional school, but you want to have a high enough LSAT that you don't have to pay for it (because the jobs you want sure as hell aren't going to pay off the loans).

UVA2B

Gold

Postby UVA2B » Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:47 pm

baxter wrote:

If you're not set on biglaw, then you fit the definition of someone who should minimize cost by going to a lower ranked school with big $$$. If you don't think you'll want anything beyond local PD work, etc., then those schools will help you in their local market getting those such jobs.

Now to what ultimately matters most: focus on the LSAT, rock it, and proceed accordingly. I can't imagine a bunch of random internet prognosticators can give you anything more than some fleeting warm fuzzies that you're making a good decision. Come back when you have an LSAT, a list of schools and your goals, and ideally offers for admission with scholarship offers attached. Once you have all of that set, the masses of TLS will be much more helpful in assessing your situation. Until then, anything we tell you will probably be a quarter step above meaningless.

Return to “What are my chances??