DELETE

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Gitaroo_Dude

Silver

Re: 177/4.04 -- Chance Me; P & TY

Postby Gitaroo_Dude » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:24 pm

i_Pernix wrote:Maturity is what I'm going for since I'm K-JD.

LOL.

This is some mighty fine bait, OP.

i_Pernix

New

Postby i_Pernix » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:26 pm

Gitaroo_Dude wrote:
i_Pernix wrote:Maturity is what I'm going for since I'm K-JD.

LOL.

This is some mighty fine bait, OP.

Hahahahaha -- that came off the page weird. You know what I mean.

Kaziende

Bronze

Postby Kaziende » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:27 pm

i_Pernix wrote:
zeglo wrote:
i_Pernix wrote:Disclaimer: I am not looking for an ego boost or a pat on the back. I just seek frank and honest opinion from someone that's not myself.

Really?

You have above 75th numbers for every school. I think you know your chances are excellent aside from randomness at the top three.

Big aid from every school, excellent shot at H/Y/S.

The randomness at the top 3 are really what I'm concerned about -- that's why I included my softs, to see if they'd be helpful at all.

And literally no one here can give you more information than isn't already available to you elsewhere. Based on your relatively strong softs and above 75ths stats, you have a very good chance at one of YS, and you're probably a lock everywhere else. But you should already know that, so this thread is pointless (or a 4/10 quality flame).

i_Pernix

New

Postby i_Pernix » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:31 pm

Kaziende wrote:
i_Pernix wrote:
zeglo wrote:
i_Pernix wrote:Disclaimer: I am not looking for an ego boost or a pat on the back. I just seek frank and honest opinion from someone that's not myself.

Really?

You have above 75th numbers for every school. I think you know your chances are excellent aside from randomness at the top three.

The randomness at the top 3 are really what I'm concerned about -- that's why I included my softs, to see if they'd be helpful at all.

And literally no one here can give you more information than isn't already available to you elsewhere. Based on your relatively strong softs and above 75ths stats, you have a very good chance at one of YS, and you're probably a lock everywhere else. But you should already know that, so this thread is pointless (or a 4/10 quality flame).

Right. So as I replied to someone else on this thread, I'd appreciate pointers to resources that illuminate chances at black boxes, like a place where I can look at past examples of applicants (NOT just numbers, but their specific softs, etc. -- basically anything more detailed than mylsn) and their results in cycles.

guynourmin

Gold

Postby guynourmin » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:33 pm

i_Pernix wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
i_Pernix wrote:
guybourdin wrote:Unless you sound as clueless in your application as you do in this post, probably about as good a shot as anyone could ask to be chanced at YS, lock everywhere else, at least 1 CCN full, and fulls from most everywhere else you get accepted (probably at least 1 YP WL).

Not clueless. Just curious. I think it would be a shame if I just sat down by myself and thought, "Hey, this looks good," about myself, no matter how good my numbers are. I think it's worth the risk, at least, of incurring the wrath of a few indignant people on TLS who want to accuse me of humble-bragging in order to get a fresh set of eyes.

But what's 'CNN' stand for?

I'm not saying you should sit down by yourself and think about how your application will be received - I am saying you can search through the profiles of hundreds of just admits and WLs who make a lot of their info public. Likely you could find someone with your numbers and ECs that was WLd and maybe has some thoughts on what went wrong in their cycle. Some proactivity on your part could actually be really beneficial (this thread is not proactive).

CCN stands for Chicago, Columbia, NYU.

Right. I would actually love to see some examples of people who were admits/WLs to some of the schools I'm looking at. I never was able to find any, though -- can you point me in the right direction? I think that would be more helpful than condescension. Thanks!

I feel like telling people who aren't being condescending that they are being condescending invites condescension. LSN is where you want to look.

i_Pernix

New

Postby i_Pernix » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:34 pm

guybourdin wrote:
i_Pernix wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
i_Pernix wrote:
guybourdin wrote:Unless you sound as clueless in your application as you do in this post, probably about as good a shot as anyone could ask to be chanced at YS, lock everywhere else, at least 1 CCN full, and fulls from most everywhere else you get accepted (probably at least 1 YP WL).

Not clueless. Just curious. I think it would be a shame if I just sat down by myself and thought, "Hey, this looks good," about myself, no matter how good my numbers are. I think it's worth the risk, at least, of incurring the wrath of a few indignant people on TLS who want to accuse me of humble-bragging in order to get a fresh set of eyes.

I'm not saying you should sit down by yourself and think about how your application will be received - I am saying you can search through the profiles of hundreds of just admits and WLs who make a lot of their info public. Likely you could find someone with your numbers and ECs that was WLd and maybe has some thoughts on what went wrong in their cycle. Some proactivity on your part could actually be really beneficial (this thread is not proactive).

Right. I would actually love to see some examples of people who were admits/WLs to some of the schools I'm looking at. I never was able to find any, though -- can you point me in the right direction? I think that would be more helpful than condescension. Thanks!

I feel like telling people who aren't being condescending that they are being condescending invites condescension. LSN is where you want to look.

Thanks. "Unless you sound as clueless in your application..." but thanks.

Kaziende

Bronze

Postby Kaziende » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:34 pm

Apply, have a drink, wait for your acceptances. Don't worry about getting an accurate gauge of your chances. The certainty you're looking for doesn't exist. Let it go, in the immortal words of Elsa.

i_Pernix

New

Postby i_Pernix » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:36 pm

Kaziende wrote:Apply, have a drink, wait for your acceptances. Don't worry about getting an accurate gauge of your chances. The certainty you're looking for doesn't exist. Let it go, in the immortal words of Elsa.

Thanks, Kaziende. You're probably right that I'd probably get more grief before I ever get an accurate gauge of my chances.

BruiseWillis

Bronze

Postby BruiseWillis » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:36 pm

Kaziende wrote:Apply, have a drink, wait for your acceptances. Don't worry about getting an accurate gauge of your chances. The certainty you're looking for doesn't exist. Let it go, in the immortal words of Elsa.

+1

blueapple

Silver

Postby blueapple » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:38 pm

i_Pernix wrote:
Kaziende wrote:
i_Pernix wrote:
zeglo wrote:

Really?

Right. So as I replied to someone else on this thread, I'd appreciate pointers to resources that illuminate chances at black boxes, like a place where I can look at past examples of applicants (NOT just numbers, but their specific softs, etc. -- basically anything more detailed than mylsn) and their results in cycles.

http://search.lawschoolnumbers.com/users

And I swear if you ask one more time for a resource and ignore everyone who is telling you to go to LSN, you will be cursed and not get into law school.
Last edited by blueapple on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

i_Pernix

New

Postby i_Pernix » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:39 pm

blueapple wrote:
i_Pernix wrote:
Kaziende wrote:
i_Pernix wrote:
zeglo wrote:

Really?

http://search.lawschoolnumbers.com/users

And I swear if you ask one more time for a resource and ignore everyone who is telling you to go to LSN, you will be cursed and not get into law school.

Bruh. As soon as someone recommended lsn (NOT mylsn), I acknowledged it. Plz.

blueapple

Silver

Postby blueapple » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:44 pm

i_Pernix wrote:Bruh. As soon as someone recommended lsn (NOT mylsn), I acknowledged it. Plz.

https://mylsn.info/ wrote:Welcome to MyLSN.info. MyLSN takes data from LawSchoolNumbers with the goal of presenting it in various formats that make it more easily understood.

If only the very first sentence on mylsn told you where to go...

Anyway what you should really do is just relax. You will have great options.
Last edited by blueapple on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Postby Hikikomorist » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:48 pm

Who cares if OP is fishing for praise? Frankly, it seems like s/he deserves it.

Nebby

Diamond

Postby Nebby » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:53 pm

Hikikomorist wrote:Who cares if OP is fishing for praise? Frankly, it seems like s/he deserves it.

They'll go onto a good school, and then land a prestigious firm job. They'll slowly begin to hate their life, but will hold on for dat prestige. After explaining to their daughter for the third time why they had to miss their music pageant, they'll finally have had enough. However, they'll assess their situation and come to the realization that their current life cannot be sustained on a non-big law salary. They'll settle in for the long haul, and in 25 years they'll wonder why on earth they wasted their time seeking faint praise from anonymous internet posters, when no one warned them that none of this really matters in the end.

i_Pernix

New

Postby i_Pernix » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:58 pm

Nebby wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:Who cares if OP is fishing for praise? Frankly, it seems like s/he deserves it.

They'll go onto a good school, and then land a prestigious firm job. They'll slowly begin to hate their life, but will hold on for dat prestige. After explaining to their daughter for the third time why they had to miss their music pageant, they'll finally have had enough. However, they'll assess their situation and come to the realization that their current life cannot be sustained on a non-big law salary. They'll settle in for the long haul, and in 25 years they'll wonder why on earth they wasted their time seeking faint praise from anonymous internet posters, when no one warned them that none of this really matters in the end.

Damn son. If you can read my palm like that, tell me where I'll get in!

I'm not actually going to go into BigLaw, though...

Kaziende

Bronze

Postby Kaziende » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:59 pm

Nebby wrote:

<3
But really who lasts 25 years in biglaw.

cdotson2

Silver

Postby cdotson2 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:01 pm

You didn't list your undergrad op, is that why you are nervous?

i_Pernix

New

Postby i_Pernix » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:06 pm

cdotson2 wrote:You didn't list your undergrad op, is that why you are nervous? Also are you international?

Undergrad is good, not Ivy, but not worried because it's more than respectable. Technically international, but permanent resident of the States and obviously go to a college here -- do they even distinguish between that and citizen?

guynourmin

Gold

Postby guynourmin » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:12 pm

i_Pernix wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
i_Pernix wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
i_Pernix wrote:

Thanks. "Unless you sound as clueless in your application..." but thanks.

I'm sorry, but I was being serious when I said that. Your OP comes off as if you literally do not know how to use the internet, and I would not be surprised if coming off that clueless could be counted against you by some adcoms. It is a legitimate concern from my perspective: you obviously should not try to sound like you know everything, but you also probably shouldn't sound like someone who is just really smart and/or hardworking (based on your numbers) who thinks Alex Cabot had a cool job so you figured you'd give applying to law school a chance.

If you want advice, that's it: try not to come off completely clueless in your applications. Either that means fake it, or just read up on the law school admissions process, law school, and what being a lawyer is a little, and go from there. Unless you screw something up terribly in your application, you will have wonderful outcomes. Honestly, if I were you and confident my app wasn't terrible, I don't even think I would apply to at least 3-4 t14s, and not to save $100, but just because I really wouldn't want to go through interviewing at Cornell when I know I'd never go there, etc.

cdotson2

Silver

Postby cdotson2 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:13 pm

i_Pernix wrote:
cdotson2 wrote:You didn't list your undergrad op, is that why you are nervous? Also are you international?

Undergrad is good, not Ivy, but not worried because it's more than respectable. Technically international, but permanent resident of the States and obviously go to a college here -- do they even distinguish between that and citizen?

Not that I know of, it might be a plus. I was just trying to see if there were any specific reasons why you might not already know how good your chances are. Generally you shouldn't listen to your university pre-law advisor but I'm sure in this circumstance they would have told you there is nothing to worry about, and they would have been right. Also do you have any alum at these schools who you could talk to or know what their numbers might have been? I really think there is nothing to worry about so if you are just nervous know that all you have to do now is wait and you will get good results. It might not happen as fast as you want, and other people might already be in at these schools, but it doesnt matter if you get in first or on the day before class off the waitlist you will still be at the same school.
Last edited by cdotson2 on Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zerato5

Bronze

Postby zerato5 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:14 pm

Last edited by zerato5 on Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Milksteak

New

Postby Milksteak » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:32 pm

If you done all that you must have someone in your network at Y/S. ask them.start working hard on your Yale 250 and see if someone who actually goes/went there will edit it for you.

Gold

Postby 20170322 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:37 pm

Peterson, Tiller and Yachov (P&TY) is a competitive firm. But, assuming you can make top third somewhere in the top 14, I think you have a legitimate chance. Just be sure to work on your cover letter and interviewing skills.

i_Pernix

New

Postby i_Pernix » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:49 pm

SweetTort wrote:Peterson, Tiller and Yachov (P&TY) is a competitive firm. But, assuming you can make top third somewhere in the top 14, I think you have a legitimate chance. Just be sure to work on your cover letter and interviewing skills.

LOL didn't even realize that was a firm.

Return to “What are my chances??