3.0/167 GULC Chances?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
hayleyc

New

3.0/167 GULC Chances?

Postby hayleyc » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:59 pm

Hi people.

If my reach school is Georgetown, do I have a shot there with these stats? Not an URM, decent softs (nothing extraordinary).

I have another take left for the LSAT, and I'm thinking I might take the exam again in Feb, but I just wanted to see how far these stats take me.

chargers21

Gold

Re: 3.0/167 GULC Chances?

Postby chargers21 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:27 pm

Last edited by chargers21 on Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

hayleyc

New

Postby hayleyc » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:42 pm

chargers21 wrote:
hayleyc wrote:Hi people.

If my reach school is Georgetown, do I have a shot there with these stats? Not an URM, decent softs (nothing extraordinary).

I have another take left for the LSAT, and I'm thinking I might take the exam again in Feb, but I just wanted to see how far these stats take me.

slim to none at Gtown. WashingtonSTL and Emory seem to like splitters more. That gpa will hold you back no matter what. Big $$$ to a regional school in an area you want to work might be your best option.

I'm definitely applying to both Emory and WUSTL, alongside some regional schools that I'm interested in. I just wanted to apply to at least one T-14 and see where it would get me. What do you think my chances would be if I could raise that LSAT by 2-3 points come Feb?

TragicBronson

New

Postby TragicBronson » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:23 pm

Was wait listed with a 3.0 and a 168 last cycle. Attending UT at half-off now. You'll get wait listed at most places t25 or better but one of them might be willing to bite on an LSAT that protects their median late in the cycle, regardless of the gpa. Sometimes a school has some room to give before they drop a point on their median gpa but are right on the cusp of dropping if they accept someone below their median lsat. Those are the places that will like you the most, but they won't know it until the summer when their class has started to form.

hayleyc

New

Postby hayleyc » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:35 pm

TragicBronson wrote:Was wait listed with a 3.0 and a 168 last cycle. Attending UT at half-off now. You'll get wait listed at most places t25 or better but one of them might be willing to bite on an LSAT that protects their median late in the cycle, regardless of the gpa. Sometimes a school has some room to give before they drop a point on their median gpa but are right on the cusp of dropping if they accept someone below their median lsat. Those are the places that will like you the most, but they won't know it until the summer when their class has started to form.

If that's the case, would a re-take in Feb be worth doing? If I'm able to bring my score up 2-3 points, would that make any difference? My 167 is fine for the regional schools + lower schools I'm applying to, so it's just a matter of taking the LSAT for schools like GULC.

UVA2B

Gold

Postby UVA2B » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:41 pm

hayleyc wrote:
TragicBronson wrote:Was wait listed with a 3.0 and a 168 last cycle. Attending UT at half-off now. You'll get wait listed at most places t25 or better but one of them might be willing to bite on an LSAT that protects their median late in the cycle, regardless of the gpa. Sometimes a school has some room to give before they drop a point on their median gpa but are right on the cusp of dropping if they accept someone below their median lsat. Those are the places that will like you the most, but they won't know it until the summer when their class has started to form.

If that's the case, would a re-take in Feb be worth doing? If I'm able to bring my score up 2-3 points, would that make any difference? My 167 is fine for the regional schools + lower schools I'm applying to, so it's just a matter of taking the LSAT for schools like GULC.

I won't extrapolate your personal situation, but provided you don't have other financial security, don't strive for GULC at full price. It's an incredibly risky bet, and given their recent history (read: post recession), it's not likely to improve. Absolutely retake the LSAT for the chance of increased scholarship chances, and with the right LSAT you could improve your chances of schools at/above GULC, but it's a very risky gamble, and absent other means of financing your education, you're playing a dangerous game.

spqr351

New

Postby spqr351 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:46 pm

Last edited by spqr351 on Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hayleyc

New

Postby hayleyc » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:10 pm

spqr351 wrote:
TragicBronson wrote:You'll get wait listed at most places t25 or better.

Anecdotally, this is not true. I was accepted at 3 T25s with worse numbers, including decent money at one. I may be a unique case for whatever reason, but don't fee like you're going to strike out completely.

When I went on mylsn, I saw that I had decent chances at Emory, WUSTL, Minnesota, GWU and couple of others (I understand that mylsn isn't always 100% accurate, but still). So I don't think the T25 statement is true. I do think it applies to T-14 schools, which I'll most likely strike out unless I can bring up my score in Feb.

hayleyc

New

Postby hayleyc » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:30 pm

UVA2B wrote:
hayleyc wrote:

I won't extrapolate your personal situation, but provided you don't have other financial security, don't strive for GULC at full price. It's an incredibly risky bet, and given their recent history (read: post recession), it's not likely to improve. Absolutely retake the LSAT for the chance of increased scholarship chances, and with the right LSAT you could improve your chances of schools at/above GULC, but it's a very risky gamble, and absent other means of financing your education, you're playing a dangerous game.

I'm definitely not set on attending GULC - in fact, I'm not really set on any school at this point (going to depend on $$, location, etc.) but I would like to see what my chances are within the T-25, and I'd like GULC to be a potential option even if I don't attend.

UVA2B

Gold

Postby UVA2B » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:00 am

hayleyc wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
hayleyc wrote:

I'm definitely not set on attending GULC - in fact, I'm not really set on any school at this point (going to depend on $$, location, etc.) but I would like to see what my chances are within the T-25, and I'd like GULC to be a potential option even if I don't attend.

Simply put, you have numbers that will give you a shot within the T25, as you define it. But realize this distinction is almost entirely meaningless. What you're really talking about is national reach vs. regional reach. With the T14 (and GULC at the bottom of it), you're talking about schools that can conclusively place you all over the country because the degree carries extra pedigree. Beyond that, you're talking about strong regionals with marginal placement outside their target market. Look at UT, as an example. It even broached the T14 in previous years, and no one would doubt it has strong placement power in the legal profession. But UT relies pretty heavily on several major legal markets based on ties and performance at UT. In that, it's largely a regional performer. This isn't meant to take away from UT and its ability to get you a job as an attorney, because its placement is largely on par with those like GULC in the T14. What it should suggest to you is that anything beyond the T14 (as USNWR traditionally defines), you should target T14 that can place nationally and strong regionals where you have ties that will help you achieve employment.

For instance, going to Emory when you're from Utah would be inappropriate because both Utah and BYU could place you more prominently in that legal market, even though Emory exists in that distinction you're suggesting. Emory isn't going to carry weight in Salt Lake, and you'd be disappointed with results from Emory. Just realize that SMU in Dallas (if you can't get UT) is better for TX law jobs than going to UMN or UCLA for law school, absent (possibly) other ties to the region.

Your circumstances will largely determine what is right for you, but just realize that there are a select number of institutions that truly have national reach where they are treated like peers (or superiors) with the strong regionals, and if you're talking about GULC (as the least powerful, albeit still powerful national brands) vs. [strong regional performer at serious discount], you're likely making the smart financial decision in choosing that strong regional over the more expensive national reach.

Your circumstances may differ, and again I refuse to project onto you a given situation, just realize that legal hiring exists in two contexts (with very little variation): national reach of a T14 with ties to a region (or going to a traditional hub like NYC) vs. going to the strong regional at a reduced cost. It seems a bit dichotomous, but that's because it largely is. Accept that reality, and move forward accordingly based on your own personal circumstances (ties, professional background, etc.).

hayleyc

New

Postby hayleyc » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:08 am

UVA2B wrote:
hayleyc wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
hayleyc wrote:

Simply put, you have numbers that will give you a shot within the T25, as you define it. But realize this distinction is almost entirely meaningless. What you're really talking about is national reach vs. regional reach. With the T14 (and GULC at the bottom of it), you're talking about schools that can conclusively place you all over the country because the degree carries extra pedigree. Beyond that, you're talking about strong regionals with marginal placement outside their target market. Look at UT, as an example. It even broached the T14 in previous years, and no one would doubt it has strong placement power in the legal profession. But UT relies pretty heavily on several major legal markets based on ties and performance at UT. In that, it's largely a regional performer. This isn't meant to take away from UT and its ability to get you a job as an attorney, because its placement is largely on par with those like GULC in the T14. What it should suggest to you is that anything beyond the T14 (as USNWR traditionally defines), you should target T14 that can place nationally and strong regionals where you have ties that will help you achieve employment.

For instance, going to Emory when you're from Utah would be inappropriate because both Utah and BYU could place you more prominently in that legal market, even though Emory exists in that distinction you're suggesting. Emory isn't going to carry weight in Salt Lake, and you'd be disappointed with results from Emory. Just realize that SMU in Dallas (if you can't get UT) is better for TX law jobs than going to UMN or UCLA for law school, absent (possibly) other ties to the region.

Your circumstances will largely determine what is right for you, but just realize that there are a select number of institutions that truly have national reach where they are treated like peers (or superiors) with the strong regionals, and if you're talking about GULC (as the least powerful, albeit still powerful national brands) vs. [strong regional performer at serious discount], you're likely making the smart financial decision in choosing that strong regional over the more expensive national reach.

Your circumstances may differ, and again I refuse to project onto you a given situation, just realize that legal hiring exists in two contexts (with very little variation): national reach of a T14 with ties to a region (or going to a traditional hub like NYC) vs. going to the strong regional at a reduced cost. It seems a bit dichotomous, but that's because it largely is. Accept that reality, and move forward accordingly based on your own personal circumstances (ties, professional background, etc.).

I understand that, which is why I'm applying to a myriad of schools (strong regionals, T25 + schools that I think I can get $$$ from). I just want to apply and have options within the T25, that's all. Not set on attending any one of those schools because I'm not set on attending any particular school right now.

UVA2B

Gold

Postby UVA2B » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:12 am

hayleyc wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
hayleyc wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
hayleyc wrote:

I understand that, which is why I'm applying to a myriad of schools (strong regionals, T25 + schools that I think I can get $$$ from). I just want to apply and have options within the T25, that's all. Not set on attending any one of those schools because I'm not set on attending any particular school right now.

I think my entire point was missed, but good luck in your apps and I hope you get the result you want!

hayleyc

New

Postby hayleyc » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:15 am

UVA2B wrote:
hayleyc wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
hayleyc wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
hayleyc wrote:

I think my entire point was missed, but good luck in your apps and I hope you get the result you want!

I don't think it was missed, but thanks anyway! Will definitely do a post later in the cycle when I need some help deciding where I want to attend. I just want to focus on being admitted to the schools I'm applying to right now :)

TragicBronson

New

Postby TragicBronson » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:57 am

To answer your earlier question about retaking in February, I'd definitely do it. For that matter, taking the June lsat might even help. Dickering about whether "most" or only "some" of the schools in the t25 would waitlist you aside, if you get into GT at all it will likely be off of the waitlist. As such, there won't be any downside to having a "late" lsat score, as you'd still be under consideration.

hayleyc

New

Postby hayleyc » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:46 pm

TragicBronson wrote:To answer your earlier question about retaking in February, I'd definitely do it. For that matter, taking the June lsat might even help. Dickering about whether "most" or only "some" of the schools in the t25 would waitlist you aside, if you get into GT at all it will likely be off of the waitlist. As such, there won't be any downside to having a "late" lsat score, as you'd still be under consideration.

Well, I only have one take left so it would have to be either Feb. or June. I think I have enough time to prepare before Feb to try and bring up that score by a couple of points, so I'll just go ahead and register for that exam :)

And I agree about GT. I realize with my GPA it's going to be 10x difficult for me to get admitted, rather than someone with my LSAT and a higher GPA. I just wanted to see if it was worth sending in an application and judging by what you all are saying, I think it is. I'll take the Feb. exam and submit an app, and hope for the best. Thanks guys!

Specter1389

Bronze

Postby Specter1389 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:48 pm

I would honestly sit out a cycle and take the test in June to improve your LSAT as much as possible. I had a 3.0 GPA and a 166 LSAT before retaking for a 170. Ended up getting around $70k from Georgetown and full rides from tier 1 schools in the market I want to work in. It is definitely possible to get money from Georgetown even with a 3.0.

hayleyc

New

Postby hayleyc » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:04 pm

Specter1389 wrote:I would honestly sit out a cycle and take the test in June to improve your LSAT as much as possible. I had a 3.0 GPA and a 166 LSAT before retaking for a 170. Ended up getting around $70k from Georgetown and full rides from tier 1 schools in the market I want to work in. It is definitely possible to get money from Georgetown even with a 3.0.

I already sat out a cycle because I didn't have enough time to study for the LSAT (my work schedule was insane during that time) so I'd like to avoid sitting out another cycle. There is a possibility that I might withdraw before Feb. and sit out a cycle, but I'd rather just go to a regional school than do that. If you don't mind me asking, what did you do to improve your score from a 166 to a 170? Just more practice exams?

Specter1389

Bronze

Postby Specter1389 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:14 pm

hayleyc wrote:
Specter1389 wrote:I would honestly sit out a cycle and take the test in June to improve your LSAT as much as possible. I had a 3.0 GPA and a 166 LSAT before retaking for a 170. Ended up getting around $70k from Georgetown and full rides from tier 1 schools in the market I want to work in. It is definitely possible to get money from Georgetown even with a 3.0.

I already sat out a cycle because I didn't have enough time to study for the LSAT (my work schedule was insane during that time) so I'd like to avoid sitting out another cycle. There is a possibility that I might withdraw before Feb. and sit out a cycle, but I'd rather just go to a regional school than do that. If you don't mind me asking, what did you do to improve your score from a 166 to a 170? Just more practice exams?

I just went more in depth on the types of questions I was missing. When I got a 166 on the June 2015 exam, I went -0 on Logic Games but didn't do very well on logic reasoning. I didn't retake until December 2015 and the extra time was mainly spent focusing on the logic reasoning section. I probably did one practice test a week and a couple of hours 3 nights a week doing Manhattan Prep packets on logic reasoning. I think I actually missed 2 or 3 questions on Logic Games on the December test but improved my Logic Reasoning score drastically. If I had gone -0 on Logic Games again with my Logic Reasoning improvement, I would have scored a 172 or 173. I just think giving myself more time to prepare and only studying every other day allowed me to retain the knowledge better so I wasn't stressed out. I was also working full time from 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and had classes for my Masters from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. twice a week so I know working while studying sucks, but in my case it was worth the extra work.

Return to “What are my chances??