non-traditional big splitter - T14 advice?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
GoldenGopherHopeful

New

non-traditional big splitter - T14 advice?

Postby GoldenGopherHopeful » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:15 pm

I know splitters are notoriously difficult to predict, but wondering if anyone has had success (or knows someone who has) with a similar profile.

UGGPA: 2.7
LSAT: 169
Years of professional experience: nine
Softs: Record of commitment and success w/ nationally recognized orgs; had significant and unique public sector leadership role w/ newsworthy results
URM: No
Other relevant info: Applied several years ago with same stats as above, thought I wouldn't get in anywhere, received very generous offer from two T20 schools; ultimately decided not to go. Was also accepted to Kennedy School and SIPA (with $$!) but declined offers.

I'm sure conventional wisdom would be to wait until the next cycle, retake the LSAT and shoot for 170's, and apply ED to a traditionally splitter-friendly school. I'll do that if I have to, but I REALLY want to apply this year. So, assuming it's not a foregone conclusion, questions re: applying this cycle:
1) Is there ANY shot for any T14's? Advice on strategy?
2) Would it be worthwhile to take the February LSAT? Scores would not be available until early March - but any schools still considering my application would see them. (I think.)

Wipfelder

Silver

Re: non-traditional big splitter - T14 advice?

Postby Wipfelder » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:27 pm

I had Lower GPA/Higher LSAT, in at several T-14's.

I'd really say "retake", especially if you wanted cash.

addie1412

Silver

Postby addie1412 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:43 pm

GoldenGopherHopeful wrote:Other relevant info: Applied several years ago with same stats as above, thought I wouldn't get in anywhere, received very generous offer from two T20 schools; ultimately decided not to go. Was also accepted to Kennedy School and SIPA (with $$!) but declined offers.

Admissions are more competitive now than they were several years ago.

GoldenGopherHopeful wrote:I'm sure conventional wisdom would be to wait until the next cycle, retake the LSAT and shoot for 170's, and apply ED to a traditionally splitter-friendly school. I'll do that if I have to

If your mentality is T14-or-bust, you probably have to.

GoldenGopherHopeful wrote:1) Is there ANY shot for any T14's? Advice on strategy?

How do you feel about Northwestern at sticker price? Write an interesting PS and you might have a non-zero shot.

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:21 am

addie1412 wrote:Admissions are more competitive now than they were several years ago.

How many years is "several"? Every school except HYS shows a trend of lower numbers over the past 6-7 years. There have been some indications that may pick up again, but last cycle didn't see any real median changes at most of the T14.

Not that a retake isn't good, because with that GPA, I think a score in the 170s would look a lot better. But admissions standards are lower than they were in 2010, and applicant pools are still down.

addie1412

Silver

Postby addie1412 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:43 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
addie1412 wrote:Admissions are more competitive now than they were several years ago.

How many years is "several"? Every school except HYS shows a trend of lower numbers over the past 6-7 years. There have been some indications that may pick up again, but last cycle didn't see any real median changes at most of the T14.

Not that a retake isn't good, because with that GPA, I think a score in the 170s would look a lot better. But admissions standards are lower than they were in 2010, and applicant pools are still down.

I was talking about ~2013ish. 2010 and earlier cycles were definitely harder

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:02 am

Last edited by chargers21 on Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Postby trebekismyhero » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:39 pm

It depends on what you want to do. Based on your username, I am guessing you're from Minnesota. If you are cool with working small law or local gov't in Minnesota, then you should be in good position to get a full ride to Minnesota.

If you are looking more at a major market big law then you probably need to retake although probably have a shot at NU and maybe Cornell, just at sticker.

I actually had a very similar resume before applying to law school. Feel free to PM if you have more questions

Return to “What are my chances??