International applicant

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
MisterT

New

International applicant

Postby MisterT » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:51 pm

-174 LSAT
-Foreign poli-sci undergrad degree from University of Zurich ("average" foreign transcript evaluation).
-Currently doing an M.Sc. from LSE.
-Undergrad student body pres.
-White male

Chances at HYS? Will they care about my transcript evaluation? I don't think my grades were average as they got me into LSE straight out of undergrad so may be the arbitrary nature of foreign evaluations.. but also not just looking to hear what I want to hear so be totally straight :D

Cheers.

pleasesendhelp

Bronze

Re: International applicant

Postby pleasesendhelp » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:59 am

Congratulations on your LSAT! That'll really help you this cycle since LSATs scores are down (less people in the 171-180 range). I think normally, an average evaluation will shut you out of HYSCCN because average evals translate to below 3.0 GPA. But you might stand a shot since most schools will be looking to maintain their LSAT medians.

MisterT

New

Postby MisterT » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:45 pm

This is what I am banking on. I have also read that international grades are not reported to the ranking institutions, thus schools weigh LSAT scores stronger for international applicants, and though 'Average' is not a good classification (and not exactly true IMO, definately around top 15-10%), an MSc from LSE should also signal that I am able to do well in class.

Anyway my applications are out so nothing left to do but speculate 8)

galeatus

Silver

Postby galeatus » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:23 am

MisterT wrote:This is what I am banking on. I have also read that international grades are not reported to the ranking institutions, thus schools weigh LSAT scores stronger for international applicants, and though 'Average' is not a good classification (and not exactly true IMO, definately around top 15-10%), an MSc from LSE should also signal that I am able to do well in class.

Did you manage to appeal to LSAC for your transcript evaluation? top 10-15% definitely shouldn't be evaluated as "average", even with all the bullshit they said about your UG not being equivalent to a US UG degree.

You will have a shot at some of the lower T14s, and you can almost definitely get into the vast majority of the T15-20 schools, but yeah I agree with pleasesendhelp in that T6 might be a bit of a reach.

MisterT

New

Postby MisterT » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:16 am

galeatus wrote:
MisterT wrote:This is what I am banking on. I have also read that international grades are not reported to the ranking institutions, thus schools weigh LSAT scores stronger for international applicants, and though 'Average' is not a good classification (and not exactly true IMO, definately around top 15-10%), an MSc from LSE should also signal that I am able to do well in class.

Did you manage to appeal to LSAC for your transcript evaluation? top 10-15% definitely shouldn't be evaluated as "average", even with all the bullshit they said about your UG not being equivalent to a US UG degree.

You will have a shot at some of the lower T14s, and you can almost definitely get into the vast majority of the T15-20 schools, but yeah I agree with pleasesendhelp in that T6 might be a bit of a reach.

I did appeal, and they changed my grades slightly, but not their evaluation. However, many failed grades were contained in my transcript that were only there because I was unable to deregister from the corresponding courses when my schedule became to full with extra-curricular commitments. Still, I have notified schools that LSE requires a 2:1 or a GPA of 3.5 to enroll which are higher than average grades. Unfortunately my school does not provide class percentiles or rankings, so I need to hope the T14 shows some mercy.

Last cycle I applied with my inequivalent undergraduate degree and average ranking, and although I was rejected from HYS, I was WLed at all other T14s down, so am hoping for more love this cycle 8)

galeatus

Silver

Postby galeatus » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:55 pm

MisterT wrote:
galeatus wrote:

I did appeal, and they changed my grades slightly, but not their evaluation. However, many failed grades were contained in my transcript that were only there because I was unable to deregister from the corresponding courses when my schedule became to full with extra-curricular commitments. Still, I have notified schools that LSE requires a 2:1 or a GPA of 3.5 to enroll which are higher than average grades. Unfortunately my school does not provide class percentiles or rankings, so I need to hope the T14 shows some mercy.

Last cycle I applied with my inequivalent undergraduate degree and average ranking, and although I was rejected from HYS, I was WLed at all other T14s down, so am hoping for more love this cycle 8)

Ah fair, good luck man, I'm sure that your studies in LSE will give you enough of a boost to get you off WL this year and into some good schools.

pleasesendhelp

Bronze

Postby pleasesendhelp » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:17 am

MisterT wrote:
galeatus wrote:

What do you mean by your "inequivalent undergraduate degree"? and if you don't mind me asking, did you have the same LSAT last cycle? I'm in the same boat this cycle, but with an Above Average rating.

MisterT

New

Postby MisterT » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:39 am

pleasesendhelp wrote:
MisterT wrote:
galeatus wrote:

What do you mean by your "inequivalent undergraduate degree"? and if you don't mind me asking, did you have the same LSAT last cycle? I'm in the same boat this cycle, but with an Above Average rating.

In my case it means that altough I have a bachelor's degree from a reputable institution, the minimum total number of years of education (including primary and secondary education) required to obtain it are less than other countries and the US particularly. Basically they told me to f*** off and get another year of school, hence the M.Sc.

Same LSAT as last cycle.

appind

Gold

Postby appind » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:48 pm

does only the final LSAC evaluation (average, superior etc.) matter or the numerical gpa also matter for foreign UG?

if someone had gpa 2.8 with superior evaluation, how would t14 schools look at that gpa? would they consider it equivalent to 4.0 or something else?

MisterT

New

Postby MisterT » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:55 am

appind wrote:does only the final LSAC evaluation (average, superior etc.) matter or the numerical gpa also matter for foreign UG?

if someone had gpa 2.8 with superior evaluation, how would t14 schools look at that gpa? would they consider it equivalent to 4.0 or something else?

Only the LSAC evaluation should matter. In your example, the 2.8 would be justifiably "superior" e.g. only 10% of students receive a 2.8 at that institution. If in doubt, schools would look at the documentation provided with the evaluation on the countries grading system and LSACs calculations. I doubt if schools would try to quantify ("equivalent to a 4.0") an evaluation. I think that schools merely wish to be satisfied with your ability to study hard enough to get decent grades and a job upon graduation, which the LSAT alone isn't able to fully predict.

Return to “What are my chances??