167/3.65 T14 chances and ED 2?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
cooldog

New

167/3.65 T14 chances and ED 2?

Postby cooldog » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:56 pm

LSAT: 167 in June, canceled in September, retake in December (waiting for dat score)
GPA: 3.65 at a top ten school, philosophy major, finance minor

Pretty strong personal statement (I think), diversity statement (Chinese national), 3 rec letters from professors (at least 2 are strong), have 1 addendum explain a C+ on transcript
Startup, finance (non-wallstreet) and non-profit summer internships; president of my sorority

Already applied to the following schools but asked them (except for Emory) to wait for my December score:

Harvard, Columbia, Chicago, Penn, Duke, UVA, Michigan, Berkeley, NYU, Cornell, Northwestern, GTown, UCLA, Vandy, USC, Emory, WUSTL

What are my chances at these schools, especially (Columbia, NYU, UVA, Duke, and Cornell)? Am thinking about ED 2 Duke if my December score does not improve. Does anyone know if I can move my application from RD to ED? Duke told me they are now putting my application on hold.

Also not too concerned about $$$ because school matters more to me (and my parents obviously).

Thanks so much for the help!
Last edited by cooldog on Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.

addie1412

Silver

Re: 167/3.65 T14 chances and ED II?

Postby addie1412 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:25 pm

cooldog wrote:LSAT: 167 in June, canceled in September, retake in December (waiting for dat score)
GPA: 3.65 at a top ten private university, philosophy major, finance minor

Pretty strong personal statement (I think), diversity statement (Chinese national), 3 rec letters from professors
Startup, finance (non-wallstreet) and non-profit summer internships

Already applied to the following schools but asked them (except for Emory) to wait for my December score:

Harvard, Columbia, Chicago, Penn, Duke, UVA, Michigan, Berkeley, NYU, Cornell, Northwestern, GTown, UCLA, Vandy, USC, Emory, WUSTL

What are my chances at these schools, especially T14? Am thinking about ED II (ddl: Jan 9) Duke if my December score does not improve. Does anyone know if I can move my application from RD to ED? Duke told me they are now putting my application on hold.

Also not too concerned about $$$ because school matters more to me (and my parents obviously).

With current score, you have a not-awful shot at Duke, UVA, Michigan, Cornell, Northwestern, GTown, UCLA, Vandy, USC, Emory and WUSTL.

If your score doesn't improve in December, you should sit out a cycle and retake instead of doing ED and ending up a quarter million in debt. If your parents are financing the whole thing, more power to you I guess.
Last edited by addie1412 on Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

curry1

Silver

Postby curry1 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:26 pm

cooldog wrote:LSAT: 167 in June, canceled in September, retake in December (waiting for dat score)

Pretty strong personal statement (I think), diversity statement (Chinese national), 3 rec letters from professors

What are my chances at these schools, especially T14? Am thinking about ED II (ddl: Jan 9) Duke if my December score does not improve. Does anyone know if I can move my application from RD to ED? Duke told me they are now putting my application on hold.

You probably won't get into any T14's except maybe Cornell or Georgetown (assuming your score does not improve). None of the non-numerical factors you mentioned are impressive nor will they influence your decision. You might be able to sneak into Michigan with an ED application, but I would imagine that your parents would be more impressed with an Ivy League degree from Cornell (I take it that you're a hyperwealthy Chinese international student.) Look at mylsn for more concrete data http://mylsn.info/u1xm4v/ Everything will depend on what you hit in December with respect to the other schools. A 169 would open up much of the lower T14, 171 very good odds at columbia + nyu, 174+ harvard even comes into play.

cooldog

New

Postby cooldog » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:32 pm

addie1412 wrote:

With current score, you have a not-awful shot at Duke, UVA, Michigan, Cornell, Northwestern, GTown, UCLA, Vandy, USC, Emory and WUSTL.

If your score doesn't improve in December, you should sit out a cycle and retake instead of doing ED and ending up a quarter million in debt. If your parents are financing the whole thing, more power to you I guess.

Isn't taking the LSAT four times too much? Not sure how much I'd improve for the fourth time cause I've already done all the PTs twice. But thanks for the advice qwq

cooldog

New

Postby cooldog » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:42 pm

curry1 wrote:

You probably won't get into any T14's except maybe Cornell or Georgetown (assuming your score does not improve). None of the non-numerical factors you mentioned are impressive nor will they influence your decision. You might be able to sneak into Michigan with an ED application, but I would imagine that your parents would be more impressed with an Ivy League degree from Cornell (I take it that you're a hyperwealthy Chinese international student.) Look at mylsn for more concrete data http://mylsn.info/u1xm4v/ Everything will depend on what you hit in December with respect to the other schools. A 169 would open up much of the lower T14, 171 very good odds at columbia + nyu, 174+ harvard even comes into play.

Thank you for the reply! I'd prefer Cornell just cause it's closer to the city. Does it help if you study at that law school's undergrad institution?

curry1

Silver

Postby curry1 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:54 pm

cooldog wrote:
curry1 wrote:

Thank you for the reply! I'd prefer Cornell just cause it's closer to the city. Does it help if you study at that law school's undergrad institution?

it depends on the school, but it can have a very significant impact.

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:58 pm

Last edited by chargers21 on Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

addie1412

Silver

Postby addie1412 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:55 am

cooldog wrote:
addie1412 wrote:

Isn't taking the LSAT four times too much? Not sure how much I'd improve for the fourth time cause I've already done all the PTs twice. But thanks for the advice qwq

Ah, I missed the part where you had already taken it 3 times. Would you consider substantial money somewhere like WUSTL or a strong regional school? I think you're looking at near sticker for most T14s but you have a shot at decent scholarships elsewhere.

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:07 pm

Last edited by chargers21 on Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

cooldog

New

Postby cooldog » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:19 pm

chargers21 wrote:I'm not an expert, but can you take a another LSAT if you've already taken 3, even if one was cancelled?

Aside from that, I'd say Cornell and Gtown on down are likely with current numbers. GPA hurts your ability to move up without a higher LSAT score. Good luck on your December score

Thank you!

cooldog

New

Postby cooldog » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:20 pm

addie1412 wrote:
cooldog wrote:
addie1412 wrote:

Ah, I missed the part where you had already taken it 3 times. Would you consider substantial money somewhere like WUSTL or a strong regional school? I think you're looking at near sticker for most T14s but you have a shot at decent scholarships elsewhere.

As chargers21 said, I'd prefer T14 without scholarship over anywhere down with a scholarship.

cooldog

New

Postby cooldog » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:21 pm

chargers21 wrote:
addie1412 wrote:
cooldog wrote:
addie1412 wrote:

It sounds like her parents are footing the bill and are looking for prestige. OP will probably end up at Cornell near sticker without a score increase if you ask me.

yeah prestige and big law prospects mostly. If I would ever go back to Asia to work, prestige is everything.

lauren22

New

Re: 167/3.65 T14 chances and ED 2?

Postby lauren22 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:07 pm

Pretty strong personal statement (I think), diversity statement (Chinese national), 3 rec letters from professors (at least 2 are strong), have 1 addendum explain a C+ on transcript
Startup, finance (non-wallstreet) and non-profit summer internships; president of my sorority

What are my chances at these schools, especially (Columbia, NYU, UVA, Duke, and Cornell)? Am thinking about ED 2 Duke if my December score does not improve. Does anyone know if I can move my application from RD to ED? Duke told me they are now putting my application on hold.

The first time I took the test, I got the same score as you and my GPA is just a little higher. I got into WSTL and Vanderbilt, and I got into UT. I was in the same boat as you - I retook my test in Feb., and applied really late as a result, but I still got into Northwestern and UCLA with my Feb. score even though I applied in March, which I would not advise doing haha (I was also waitlisted at Cornell, lol.) I applied early in the 2017 cycle, and have gotten into some UVA and UC Berkeley so far.

Your soft recs sound pretty good. Do you think you did significantly better on your Dec. score? If so, that's the only way you probably have a shot at Columbia, NYU, Chicago and Penn.

cooldog

New

Postby cooldog » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:52 pm

lauren22 wrote:

The first time I took the test, I got the same score as you and my GPA is just a little higher. I got into WSTL and Vanderbilt, and I got into UT. I was in the same boat as you - I retook my test in Feb., and applied really late as a result, but I still got into Northwestern and UCLA with my Feb. score even though I applied in March, which I would not advise doing haha (I was also waitlisted at Cornell, lol.) I applied early in the 2017 cycle, and have gotten into some UVA and UC Berkeley so far.

Your soft recs sound pretty good. Do you think you did significantly better on your Dec. score? If so, that's the only way you probably have a shot at Columbia, NYU, Chicago and Penn.

It's so nice to have someone with similar experience :) I can't say for sure but I was underprepared in June, so I assume my December's score is at least going to be higher. Congrats and I guess I'll find out in a few days lol

hopefuljumbo23

Bronze

Postby hopefuljumbo23 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:18 pm

I got great money at Cornell with literally identical numbers. You're in a good place!

cooldog

New

Postby cooldog » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:08 pm

Thanks for the replies. Updates: 3.68 GPA after this past semester and got 170 on the December test. Chance me please~

curry1

Silver

Postby curry1 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:12 pm

cooldog wrote:Thanks for the replies. Updates: 3.68 GPA after this past semester and got 170 on the December test. Chance me please~

enjoy nyu at sticker

Return to “What are my chances??