URM Splitter Help please

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
musiclover123

New

URM Splitter Help please

Postby musiclover123 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:15 pm

Last edited by musiclover123 on Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UVA2B

Gold

Re: URM Splitter Help please

Postby UVA2B » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:38 pm

mylsn.info has your answers. You look pretty good in some of the lower T14, but you could improve your financial situation with a retake. Without getting specific, what personal circumstance is preventing you from taking time off to save yourself large sums of money? I'm skeptical, but willing to entertain it absent a reason.

musiclover123

New

Postby musiclover123 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:52 pm

UVA2B wrote:mylsn.info has your answers. You look pretty good in some of the lower T14, but you could improve your financial situation with a retake. Without getting specific, what personal circumstance is preventing you from taking time off to save yourself large sums of money? I'm skeptical, but willing to entertain it absent a reason.

just some personal, family-related circumstances that I'd rather not get into online [for the sake of anonymity, as I know many who use this website]

UVA2B

Gold

Postby UVA2B » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:58 pm

musiclover123 wrote:
UVA2B wrote:mylsn.info has your answers. You look pretty good in some of the lower T14, but you could improve your financial situation with a retake. Without getting specific, what personal circumstance is preventing you from taking time off to save yourself large sums of money? I'm skeptical, but willing to entertain it absent a reason.

just some personal, family-related circumstances that I'd rather not get into online [for the sake of anonymity, as I know many who use this website]

Nothing wrong with keeping those reasons to yourself, and I won't challenge you on it. But given what the limited data tells us, you'd likely be paying close to sticker in the lower T14, which will be inordinately expensive unless you have another source of payment. If you cancelled (or not, probably irrelevant if you cancel), give the LSAT another shot, and improve 5 pts, you could be looking at a decent discount in the lower T14. I'm going to make an assumption, fair or not, that you'll be responsible for paying for your loans. If that's the case, you're looking at possibly ~75-100k difference with a retake. That's a lot of money, even spread out over 10-25 years. Make your personal decisions because only you know your personal reasons for not putting it off, but please realize you're legitimately talking about a potentially six figure decision. No matter what, good luck and I hope everything works out for you!

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:58 pm

musiclover123 wrote:

It's impossible to be totally definitive without more detail, but I have yet to come across any circumstances on this forum that would actually prevent someone from delaying the start of school. Family issues/emergencies don't have a three-year timer.

Make sure that you aren't allowing your emotions to dictate your choices here, because your GPA is far too good to waste. You could be going to HYS (or CCN full ride) with a higher LSAT.

UVA2B

Gold

Postby UVA2B » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:37 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
musiclover123 wrote:

It's impossible to be totally definitive without more detail, but I have yet to come across any circumstances on this forum that would actually prevent someone from delaying the start of school. Family issues/emergencies don't have a three-year timer.

Make sure that you aren't allowing your emotions to dictate your choices here, because your GPA is far too good to waste. You could be going to HYS (or CCN full ride) with a higher LSAT.

You're probably right, and it's easy to dismiss their claim because there aren't many good reasons for it, but it's also counterproductive to deface their entire decision from the outset. Framing is important. Ask the person why they're making the decision, inform them what their decision will likely mean, and move on because that's the realistic effect any of us have in an anonymous forum. It would be much preferred if we could convince someone to reevaluate their decisions while divesting themselves of their personal stake in the decision, but that's not realistic. We all impart emotion and unreasonableness into some decisions in our life (ideally not in places where it'll cost us $$$, but still). The goal should be to engage the person and help them in whatever way we can (even if that means helping them make a slightly less desirable decision because of your persuasiveness, while allowing a decision you could never in good conscience approve).

I ultimately agree with you, but it's pretty likely she doesn't. Hard to have the conversation when you agree from the outset to disagree.

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:03 am

Last edited by chargers21 on Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

musiclover123

New

Postby musiclover123 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:22 am

Thanks for all of the advice! I received fee waivers for most schools so I think I am just going to apply this cycle, see what happens [because I guess you can never be certain about predictions], and if it does not work out, I'll really reconsider a gap year!

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:56 pm

Last edited by chargers21 on Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

renc56

Bronze

Postby renc56 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:04 pm

I can definitely relate, except I'm an URM and an extreme reverse splitter. :(

It depends on your personal finances and if you have the time to re-take next year.

Return to “What are my chances??