STEM Softs & Work Experience

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
jdjdjd123

New

STEM Softs & Work Experience

Postby jdjdjd123 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:55 pm

I'm a chemistry major at a US top 10 UG. My GPA is 3.8 and within a few months, I expect to be scoring 170 or above (getting there). I think numbers wise I have a decent shot at t14 since my school's LSAC action report shows that people from my UG generally get into Columbia NYU Penn with high 3.7s (it's a tough UG). My main concern is that my softs don't seem to be up to par in the legal world. I know law schools generally don't care if your activities are legally related but mine seem to be too far removed. I've only been employed as a research intern in a couple basic science labs with a few publications. I've been a financial officer for a club responsible for overseeing the fundraising of $50K/year (organizing events, writing grants, etc.) . I've been a counselor at a summer camp and tutored inner city high school students in reading and writing.

I plan to take a gap year but the only option available to me seems to be working in a lab again. I'm a Canadian, so according to the OPT rules, I have to stay in the US and work in a lab or go back to Toronto and find some type of work. How do you think my softs will fare to adcoms? Does anyone have any advice about work experience with a STEM background like mine?

galeatus

Silver

Re: STEM Softs & Work Experience

Postby galeatus » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:28 pm

jdjdjd123 wrote:I'm a chemistry major at a US top 10 UG. My GPA is 3.8 and within a few months, I expect to be scoring 170 or above (getting there). I think numbers wise I have a decent shot at t14 since my school's LSAC action report shows that people from my UG generally get into Columbia NYU Penn with high 3.7s (it's a tough UG). My main concern is that my softs don't seem to be up to par in the legal world. I know law schools generally don't care if your activities are legally related but mine seem to be too far removed. I've only been employed as a research intern in a couple basic science labs with a few publications. I've been a financial officer for a club responsible for overseeing the fundraising of $50K/year (organizing events, writing grants, etc.) . I've been a counselor at a summer camp and tutored inner city high school students in reading and writing.

I plan to take a gap year but the only option available to me seems to be working in a lab again. I'm a Canadian, so according to the OPT rules, I have to stay in the US and work in a lab or go back to Toronto and find some type of work. How do you think my softs will fare to adcoms? Does anyone have any advice about work experience with a STEM background like mine?

Your major makes you patent bar eligible, which is a great asset to have. Instead of trying to twist yourself into some legal job, I think you'd be better off continuing with the lab work, which would make your CV look good if you want to look at IP jobs upon graduation, and will also make you a very interesting candidate for law schools.

Return to “What are my chances??