Is the price for Ivy Leagues worth it?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
pancakes3

Platinum

Re: Is the price for Ivy Leagues worth it?

Postby pancakes3 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:57 pm

Yeah, this isn't really like studying for the SATs. Every additional point added on to a 169 LSAT is like $10k in scholarship money from a lower T14 in addition to helping you get into a school that will double your chances at obtaining cost-justified employment.

To put it mildly, it's worth your time.

More abrasively, it really doesn't matter how much time you put in that justifies you attending law school. Your score justifies you attending law school. You can study 40 hrs/week for the next 5 years but if you never top 169? You're still just a 3.92/169.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:51 pm

ckingfisher wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:Are you saying that your lot of preparation was having two weeks off to prepare non-stop? I may be misunderstanding you, but if not, that is NOT a lot of preparation to get a 169 and you can easily do better.

No no, nothing like that. I studied for about 3 months generally every day after work, but as you might imagine, that is tiring and only so much can be done in the evening. Then two weeks before the exam I took leave.

Oh, okay. To be honest that still doesn't seem like a *lot* of study; there are people here who've taken the whole past range of tests. (Also what dabigchina said.)

emkay625

Gold

Postby emkay625 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:15 pm

ckingfisher wrote:Cornel - 63%

BC - 38%

BU - 34%

I do not want to sound delusional or arrogant in the slightest - and feel free to put me in my place if you feel I am wrong - but I do not think I am just an "average" student. I graduated summa cum laude and have worked at companies like Blackberry and Lockheed Martin. Thus, realistically, I feel as though my chances are not just around 25% to get into a large firm.

The problem is you have just described everyone else in law school. BC/BU are still top schools. Everyone in your class will also be super smart folks who were the top of their class in high school, and then again in undergrad, and also have interesting life experiences either via work experience or extracurriculars or something else. Yeah, you're smart. But so is everybody else. You should assume you will be median. Maybe you won't be. But it's foolish to assume otherwise. Everyone enters into law school thinking they are very smart, and thus will be in the top 10% of their class. 90% of them are wrong.

Also law school grades can be very subjective. You may very well be smarter than the person sitting next to you, but if they are able to better tailor their essay to the professor's own subjective requirements, they will get a higher grade. It's not just about being smart.

emkay625

Gold

Postby emkay625 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:25 pm

Also yes to retaking.

Return to “What are my chances??