3.3 / maybe 165+ LSAT

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
unusual00

New

3.3 / maybe 165+ LSAT

Postby unusual00 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:47 pm

Did not take the LSAT yet but here it is:

Graduated cum laude from a public school in PA in 2013. History/English Nonfiction Writing.

Working since 2013 in nonprofit social service, policy advocacy, involved in several advisory boards/councils on public policy issues, run tax programs each spring with IRS.

LSAT PT scores: 6 tests, first few were 152-160; last 2 were 168, then 167 (completing prep course now)
UGPA: 3.3 (one W)

2 strong letters of rec from my employers. 2 professors I worked closest with are unreachable--one is now deceased and the other is on family leave for a serious illness.

Career goals: policy, public law, government. Would like to continue in the social service arena, just on a different trajectory.

Applying to:
U of Washington
U of Oregon
Gonzaga
U of Colorado
GW
U of Pittsburgh
Duquesne

-Not happy about my GPA, but I had my wake up call late--GPA increased each year from sophomore year on.
-The W on my transcript is from a class I took as a freshman--very specific, small anthro course that I should really not have been able to enroll in as an undergrad. Wanted to try different stuff and didn't know my options until it was too late to drop it. Also switched majors and ended up with a dual major after sophomore year. GPA increased each year. I didn't plan on submitting any addendum to explain the W.
-Obviously, money is a concern with the potential career options, so that will be a big factor in my decisions.
-I plan to apply by Christmas. Signed up for the LSAT in Feb to be safe, but my improvements have been happening pretty quickly, so I likely will just do December and send it all off.

With all that...any predictions?

cavalier1138

Platinum

Re: 3.3 / maybe 165+ LSAT

Postby cavalier1138 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:02 pm

Your school choices are pretty spread out. Where do you want to work (i.e. region), and are there any specific organizations you want to work for?

No one can tell you your chances without an LSAT score, but your current school list is going to lock you into practicing in a specific region. So that's something you need to work out before applying.

unusual00

New

Postby unusual00 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:22 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:Your school choices are pretty spread out. Where do you want to work (i.e. region), and are there any specific organizations you want to work for?

No one can tell you your chances without an LSAT score, but your current school list is going to lock you into practicing in a specific region. So that's something you need to work out before applying.

Currently in PA with some connections to the east coast, but have lived in the PNW and want to go back. Because I want to make connections in the area I hope to live in, I am applying mostly based on region. However, the PNW schools are very supportive of students planning to go into public service of some kind. As I said, I am leaning towards public policy, but I am interested in getting experience in litigation and they also have lots of clinics and research/writing opportunities.

But, since I have no LSAT, I guess I just need to hope that goes well! Thanks :)

cavalier1138

Platinum

Postby cavalier1138 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:49 pm

unusual00 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:Your school choices are pretty spread out. Where do you want to work (i.e. region), and are there any specific organizations you want to work for?

Currently in PA with some connections to the east coast, but have lived in the PNW and want to go back. Because I want to make connections in the area I hope to live in, I am applying mostly based on region. However, the PNW schools are very supportive of students planning to go into public service of some kind. As I said, I am leaning towards public policy, but I am interested in getting experience in litigation and they also have lots of clinics and research/writing opportunities.

But, since I have no LSAT, I guess I just need to hope that goes well! Thanks :)

Just to follow up on this, you need to focus on PNW schools if that's the region you want to practice in. You won't be able to go to Pittsburgh and practice in Washington/Oregon after you're done. If you're applying mostly based on region, your current school list makes it look like you don't know which region you want to practice in.

You also need to be a little more specific about your goals. Public policy isn't something that lawyers work on directly, and litigation is an extremely broad field. What legal career do you see yourself having?

Return to “What are my chances??