Michigan Law and other fee waivers, actual chances

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Motionsinlemons

New

Michigan Law and other fee waivers, actual chances

Postby Motionsinlemons » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:30 pm

So I've gotten fee waivers from
Upenn
Vanderbilt
UCLA
Washington U
Northwestern
And Michigan law which is the one sticking out to me because they sent me a personal email that was written by a 2L who I had a convo with AND they sent me a package in the mail telling me my fee was waived and included 2 books about the school, on top of that the letter was hand signed and had a little hand written note on it.

Ive heard a lot about law schools sending waivers to better their numbers but based on these circumstances what do you guys think?
I have a 3.3 my major was Biochemistry at a top 25 school
My LSAT was 170
I am also female

dietcoke1

Silver

Re: Michigan Law and other fee waivers, actual chances

Postby dietcoke1 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:51 pm

I wouldn't read into any fee waivers or letters or whatever no matter how personalized they get. It is there job to get students to apply and yes they can be very good at it. That said, It looks like mylsn.info gives you a 50/50 shot at UVA, M, and about a 70% chance at schools from GT on down.

Motionsinlemons

New

Postby Motionsinlemons » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:03 pm

Also have a pretty killer super soft? I'm new here so I'm guessing that means extracurriculars?
How would they factor that in?

BigZuck

Diamond

Postby BigZuck » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:03 pm

Circumstances are meaningless there IMO, that's just Dean Z doing Dean Z things

Dean Z gonna Dean Z and Mich gonna Mich

Check out http://www.mylsn.info for chances

BigZuck

Diamond

Postby BigZuck » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:07 pm

Motionsinlemons wrote:Also have a pretty killer super soft? I'm new here so I'm guessing that means extracurriculars?
How would they factor that in?

Softs generally don't matter much, nor do things like biochemistry majors or "Top 25" schools

It's a numbers game, GPA and LSAT are like 97% all that matters (well numbers and URM status)

Check out www.mylsn.info for chances

Motionsinlemons

New

Postby Motionsinlemons » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:11 pm

I have checked I just don't rely on 2 dimensional calculations, hence posting here.

Bob loblaw law blog

Bronze

Postby Bob loblaw law blog » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:24 pm

Motionsinlemons wrote:I have checked I just don't rely on 2 dimensional calculations, hence posting here.

Law school admissions is kinda a 2 dimensional game. With the possible exception of people who just come off as jerks...

guynourmin

Gold

Postby guynourmin » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:32 pm

Motionsinlemons wrote:I have checked I just don't rely on 2 dimensional calculations, hence posting here.

Well you have only given us two dimensions to go on...major, school, and gender do not matter in the slightest. "A pretty killer super soft" could mean anything. Some people say they have really strong softs and when pressed we find out they were president of their college's young democrat club for a year and a half (!) which is not strong at all. If by "pretty killer" you mean you wrote a NYT best seller, then maybe it'll play in your apps.

it may be unfortunate, but your gpa and lsat are everything.

Motionsinlemons

New

Postby Motionsinlemons » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:46 pm

Woah just trying to get an understanding of why law schools send out waivers and if there is a correlation no need jump down my throat about it.

Any way my soft is helping find a thermal pathway to fight cancer that is now in pre clinical trial stage as well as co authoring a journal article that's been peer reviewed on collecting nerve cells from stem cells derived from our skin cells...

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:54 pm

Motionsinlemons wrote:Woah just trying to get an understanding of why law schools send out waivers and if there is a correlation no need jump down my throat about it.

Any way my soft is helping find a thermal pathway to fight cancer that is now in pre clinical trial stage as well as co authoring a journal article that's been peer reviewed on collecting nerve cells from stem cells derived from our skin cells...

No one jumped down your throat. I literally cannot even begin to imagine which post made you feel attacked.

Anyway, that is actually a pretty cool soft, so kudos on being one of the only people on this forum who might have a soft that qualifies as helpful to the process. That said, your numbers are still most of the equation.

dabigchina

Silver

Postby dabigchina » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:25 am

Michigan's admissions dean is very "hands on." That's part of the image they cultivate for themselves.

with a 170 you should be in good shape.

Return to “What are my chances??