Active Duty Navy Vet, 3.3x, 163

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Kimmysradscreenname

New

Active Duty Navy Vet, 3.3x, 163

Postby Kimmysradscreenname » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:47 pm

Looking for advice on how to gauge my chances at the below schools based on any known institutional admissions attitudes toward military service. I have strong recs from the military and academia, as well research and academic accolades from college and a pretty compelling GPA addendum. I've seen very little about how vet status is incorporated into the admissions calculus; I know it matters more at some schools than others and that it generally provides a boost to otherwise below median numbers. If anyone knows exactly how much at any given school, that would be very helpful. I've looked at LSN graphs and I know my odds are low for T14, ranging from 6%-15%, but I also know for sure that they are not zero. LSN is great but it's a limited data set for vets (who are, to be sure, a small set in general).

I don't need scholarship money, I have a full GI bill to put down for law school, and I'd like to go to the best school that'll take me. I've chosen private schools based on their yellow ribbon $$ availability, so I wouldn't need scholarship money there either. If I don't get into a good school I'll retake the LSAT this summer and apply again next year; I don't believe I can get a useable bump in this cycle.

U Chicago
UC Berkeley
UVA
U Michigan
Northwestern
Cornell
U Iowa
U Minnesota
UC Irvine
UC Davis
William & Mary
U Wisconsin
U Colorado
UC Hastings
U Oregon

Thanks for your help.
Last edited by Kimmysradscreenname on Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

CPAlawHopefu

Bronze

Re: Active Duty Navy Vet, 3.38, 163

Postby CPAlawHopefu » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:25 pm

U Iowa - IN
U Minnesota - IN
UC Irvine - IN
UC Davis - IN
William & Mary - IN
U Wisconsin - IN
U Colorado - IN
UC Hastings - IN
U Oregon - IN

U Chicago
UC Berkeley
UVA
U Michigan
Northwestern
Cornell

You have way too many safety schools.

I'd say you have a reasonable chance at USC/UCLA/Texas/Vanderbilt/Georgetown/BU/BC/Notre Dame, all of which are a league ahead of your safeies. I would apply to these as well.

The rest, not so sure. Chicago looks like a super reach for you but the rest are a toss considering your strong soft and URM status.

Wipfelder

Silver

Postby Wipfelder » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:29 pm

Kimmysradscreenname wrote:Looking for advice on how to gauge my chances at the below schools based on any known institutional admissions attitudes toward military service. I have strong recs from the military and academia, as well research and academic accolades from college and a pretty compelling GPA addendum. I've seen very little about how vet status is incorporated into the admissions calculus; I know it matters more at some schools than others and that it generally provides a boost to otherwise below median numbers. If anyone knows exactly how much at any given school, that would be very helpful. I've looked at LSN graphs and I know my odds are low for T14, ranging from 6%-15%, but I also know for sure that they are not zero. LSN is great but it's a limited data set for vets (who are, to be sure, a small set in general).

I don't need scholarship money, I have a full GI bill to put down for law school, and I'd like to go to the best school that'll take me. I've chosen private schools based on their yellow ribbon $$ availability, so I wouldn't need scholarship money there either. If I don't get into a good school I'll retake the LSAT this summer and apply again next year; I don't believe I can get a useable bump in this cycle.

I'm also LGBT and multi-racial, if that makes a difference (seems to me it doesn't, but I am new to this). I'm also female, and female vets comprise less than 20% of the vet population in general. I have built a strong diversity statement and submitted it wherever I could.

U Chicago
UC Berkeley
UVA
U Michigan
Northwestern
Cornell
U Iowa
U Minnesota
UC Irvine
UC Davis
William & Mary
U Wisconsin
U Colorado
UC Hastings
U Oregon

Thanks for your help.

Your probably an auto-admit at Iowa and below. Every public school is free for you BTW, YR or not.

Schools seem to like veterans, many outperform their numbers a little, but many don't either. I have no idea what the discriminating factors are.

What "races" compromise your multi-racialness?

Apply liberally to the lower 14, it's a crapshoot. Your worst case is a "regional powerhouse" for a full ride, so congratulations!

Kimmysradscreenname

New

Postby Kimmysradscreenname » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:13 pm

@wipfelder- Thanks! I'm half-Chinese, second generation, first gen college student. It sounds like you and CPAlawHopefu agree I should shoot higher; I'll try GULC, BU, BC, ND, and Vandy too (my sister when to Vandy UG and is a 3L at Emory now, does that make a difference?).

Wipfelder

Silver

Postby Wipfelder » Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:17 pm

Kimmysradscreenname wrote:@wipfelder- Thanks! I'm half-Chinese, second generation, first gen college student. It sounds like you and CPAlawHopefu agree I should shoot higher; I'll try GULC, BU, BC, ND, and Vandy too (my sister when to Vandy UG and is a 3L at Emory now, does that make a difference?).

No, it doesn't make a difference.

I'd figure out where it is that you want to practice first. Your kind of "shot-gunning" the US.

I'd do two or three "non-T14s" in areas you want to live in, then blanket the T-14. If you get something you like, take it, or retake for next cycle or even late this cycle.

hawkeyelaw

New

Re: Active Duty Navy Vet, 3.3x, 163

Postby hawkeyelaw » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:18 pm

As an active duty Marine applying to a very similar set of schools I am interested to see how you fare. My stats are 2.68 / 164 Non-URM, but I am hoping with my extensive military work history since UG I can demonstrate some growth in maturity compared to my mis-spent youth. I also intend to re-take in December as the virus game did not treat me very well in Sept.

Wipfelder

Silver

Postby Wipfelder » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:31 pm

hawkeyelaw wrote:As an active duty Marine applying to a very similar set of schools I am interested to see how you fare. My stats are 2.68 / 164 Non-URM, but I am hoping with my extensive military work history since UG I can demonstrate some growth in maturity compared to my mis-spent youth. I also intend to re-take in December as the virus game did not treat me very well in Sept.

Your work experience will help a little. You have a legit shot at any school where your LSAT is above their 75th percentile. I'm not sure beyond that. If you can get a 170 or above, you are in at a T14 most likely.

Kimmysradscreenname

New

Postby Kimmysradscreenname » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:52 am

@hawkeyelaw- my LSN is swotivator, I plan to update it soon with the rest of my schools and admin process dates, and feel free to PM. I've submitted all my apps. I'd also recommend checking in with Service2School, my mentor was GREAT.

Good luck in December!

hawkeyelaw

New

Postby hawkeyelaw » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:06 pm

Wipfelder - retaking was definitely the right choice for me; ended up with a 170 on the Dec. So now I should probably apply to some higher ranked places?

Wipfelder

Silver

Postby Wipfelder » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:59 pm

hawkeyelaw wrote:Wipfelder - retaking was definitely the right choice for me; ended up with a 170 on the Dec. So now I should probably apply to some higher ranked places?

Fuck ya!

Apply everywhere your at the 75% and above, and expect to get in to most of them.

Return to “What are my chances??