3.8, 170.. December Retake for t6?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
abck99

New

3.8, 170.. December Retake for t6?

Postby abck99 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:23 am

Hi - I have a 3.8 GPA and a 170 from a June 2016 LSAT, but was PTing around 174. I'm retaking in December to come to reach my PT... what are my changes at t6 or t14 with money? Is it worth retaking when it means delaying applications being complete? I'm otherwise done with apps.

Thanks!

Veil of Ignorance

Bronze

Re: 3.8, 170 Retake - Chances at t6

Postby Veil of Ignorance » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:28 am

abck99 wrote:Hi - I have a 3.8 GPA and a 170 from a June 2016 LSAT, but was PTing around 174. I'm retaking in December to come to reach my PT... what are my changes at t6 or t14 with money? Is it worth retaking when it means delaying applications being complete? I'm otherwise done with apps.

Thanks!

I'd guess you're a lock for NYU, maybe 50% at Chicago and Columbia, and highly unlikely at HYS. I don't think a retake is the way to go. You probably won't get above the 170 if it was your second try, and it might actually go down, because a 170 is already a really great LSAT. You'll get nice money at Cornell, Northwestern, etc, so just apply and enjoy the results

Clemenceau

Silver

Re: 3.8, 170.. December Retake for t6?

Postby Clemenceau » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:30 am

Strongly disagree with the above. An increased LSAT is almost always worth the delay. A december app is not a big deal. Go get that 174

lymenheimer

Gold

Postby lymenheimer » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:34 am

scottyboy wrote:
abck99 wrote:Hi - I have a 3.8 GPA and a 170 from a June 2016 LSAT, but was PTing around 174. I'm retaking in December to come to reach my PT... what are my changes at t6 or t14 with money? Is it worth retaking when it means delaying applications being complete? I'm otherwise done with apps.

Thanks!

I'd guess you're a lock for NYU, maybe 50% at Chicago and Columbia, and highly unlikely at HYS. I don't think a retake is the way to go. You probably won't get above the 170 if it was your second try, and it might actually go down, because a 170 is already a really great LSAT. You'll get nice money at Cornell, Northwestern, etc, so just apply and enjoy the results

You shouldn't give anymore unhelpful and potentially damaging advice.

guynourmin

Gold

Postby guynourmin » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:52 am

scottyboy wrote:

Thanks!

I hate this advise, if you could call it that. OP has no reason to rush into law school and every reason to wait. The difference even 2 points could make for them is pretty huge.

Veil of Ignorance

Bronze

Postby Veil of Ignorance » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:43 pm

lymenheimer wrote:
scottyboy wrote:

Thanks!

Edit: Never mind. OP, my advice stands, but the common wisdom on TLS seems to be to the contrary.
Last edited by Veil of Ignorance on Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blackmamba8

Bronze

Postby blackmamba8 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:51 pm

scottyboy wrote:
lymenheimer wrote:
scottyboy wrote:

Thanks!

OP could of course retake, which everyone on this forum always advocates. But once you pass the 170 mark, there is a good chance that your score doesn't change or goes down, and if it goes up, it probably won't go up by that much. So if the OP wants to devote a significant amount more time to studying the LSAT for the chance of an extra point or two, instead of, say, spending those hundreds of hours exercising or reading or spending time with family, then fine, but this advice is only "obvious" in the rarified world of TLS.

An extra point or two can get you tens of thousands of dollars. It'd be foolish not to go for it.

SlippinJimmy

New

Postby SlippinJimmy » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:25 pm

Look at the numbers. If you were PT'ing at 174, there is no real reason not to retake. 2 points could be the difference between striking out at CC and getting into both. 3 points gets you an outside shot at Harvard.

neptunian

New

Postby neptunian » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:03 pm

Veil of Ignorance wrote:
lymenheimer wrote:
scottyboy wrote:

Thanks!

Edit: Never mind. OP, my advice stands, but the common wisdom on TLS seems to be to the contrary.

Veil I have pretty similar numbers as OP and my pre-law advisor said exactly the same thing as your original comment.
I'm seriously getting confused about who I should trust. Where does this TLS consensus come from anyways?

lymenheimer

Gold

Postby lymenheimer » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:08 pm

neptunian wrote:Veil I have pretty similar numbers as OP and my pre-law advisor said exactly the same thing as your original comment.
I'm seriously getting confused about who I should trust. Where does this TLS consensus come from anyways?

Actual experience applying to law school.

Clemenceau

Silver

Postby Clemenceau » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:19 am

lymenheimer wrote:
neptunian wrote:Veil I have pretty similar numbers as OP and my pre-law advisor said exactly the same thing as your original comment.

Actual experience applying to law school.

+1

Veil of Ignorance

Bronze

Postby Veil of Ignorance » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:00 pm

neptunian wrote:
Veil of Ignorance wrote:
lymenheimer wrote:
scottyboy wrote:

Thanks!

Veil I have pretty similar numbers as OP and my pre-law advisor said exactly the same thing as your original comment.

I think your pre-law advisor and I are using a "regular person" perspective, which is, hey, you've got great numbers and great options, why not reduce the stress of taking the LSAT for the nth time and just enjoy the fruits of your labor. The TLS perspective is based off the fact that a higher LSAT score is always better and opens up more options. So, according to these folks, just retake until you have a 180, pretty much. I've seen people on here recommend that someone with a 173 retake, which I think is ridiculous. It's up to you and how much stress and work an extra few points are worth in the context of your life. For me, I decided before taking the test that a 171 was going to be good enough for me. It ended up being higher, but I would have stopped there regardless.

There are some people on these forums who are aggressive and sneer at those who don't share their views, but ultimately if you have a 170+ it isn't ridiculous to use your score, so just think about your goals and what matters most to you.

HamlinMcgill

New

Postby HamlinMcgill » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:21 pm

I had the exact same numbers last cycle. I got rejected at Yale, waitlisted at Harvard, and in everywhere else (currently a 1L at Stanford). Michigan offered a big scholarship, but everywhere else was pretty stingy.

Results may vary. I had 5+ years of pretty interesting work experience, so that's probably what helped me outperform my numbers.

lymenheimer

Gold

Postby lymenheimer » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:50 pm

Veil of Ignorance wrote:
neptunian wrote:
Veil of Ignorance wrote:
lymenheimer wrote:
scottyboy wrote:

Thanks!

I think your pre-law advisor and I are using a "regular person" perspective, which is, hey, you've got great numbers and great options, why not reduce the stress of taking the LSAT for the nth time and just enjoy the fruits of your labor. The TLS perspective is based off the fact that a higher LSAT score is always better and opens up more options. So, according to these folks, just retake until you have a 180, pretty much. I've seen people on here recommend that someone with a 173 retake, which I think is ridiculous. It's up to you and how much stress and work an extra few points are worth in the context of your life. For me, I decided before taking the test that a 171 was going to be good enough for me. It ended up being higher, but I would have stopped there regardless.

There are some people on these forums who are aggressive and sneer at those who don't share their views, but ultimately if you have a 170+ it isn't ridiculous to use your score, so just think about your goals and what matters most to you.

#nuance

notorious_mig

Bronze

Postby notorious_mig » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:00 am

Not sure how relevant this question is butttttt do you have any incredible softs? Are you lowkey Charles Dickens?

heythatslife

Silver

Postby heythatslife » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:35 am

You've already paid for it, so what have you got to lose besides a few hours of your time? Even an increase of mere 2 or 3 points can mean much better shot at T6 and/or tens of thousands of dollars more in scholarship at schools that you'd otherwise have gone to anyway. Think of it this way: if you get an extra $20k or $30k in merit aid because your LSAT went up by that much, you'll be done with debt repayment a whole year earlier, give or take, even working a biglaw job.

And schools won't care if your score goes down on retake (except maybe Yale, but you're not competitive for Yale with your current numbers anyway).

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:04 pm

Last edited by chargers21 on Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

ND2018

New

Postby ND2018 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:34 pm

Can't OP just submit his apps now and inform them she/he's retaking? This way, once the score comes everything else is already taken care of.

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:45 pm

Return to “What are my chances??