AA female Columbia (and maybe Harvard) Chances

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
HarvardHopeful95

Bronze

AA female Columbia (and maybe Harvard) Chances

Postby HarvardHopeful95 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:50 am

Hi guys, could anyone chance me for Columbia and Harvard?

I am a AA Female and have a 3.55 GPA, and a 167 LSAT

I also just received an unsolicited merit fee waiver from Columbia

In addition to this, I feel as though I have a particularly compelling personal statement (black child of single mother who grew up in an impoverished rural town and created a mentorship program which has gotten students to college who normally would have never even graduated high school)

I will also be producing a diversity statement which i've heard Columbia. is particularly fond of.
Last edited by HarvardHopeful95 on Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

ponderingmeerkat

Gold

Re: AA female Columbia Chances

Postby ponderingmeerkat » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:50 pm

Congrats on your admit! :D

btruj777

Bronze

Postby btruj777 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:54 pm

ponderingmeerkat wrote:Congrats on your admit! :D

Do not mean to hijack the post but would I get admitted toooo.... :oops: 3.95/167 URM (hispanic peruvian)

BobBoblaw

Bronze

Postby BobBoblaw » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:05 pm

btruj777 wrote:

Do not mean to hijack the post but would I get admitted toooo.... :oops: 3.95/167 URM (hispanic peruvian)

Not all schools will consider Peruvians URMs. Many of the schools that ask for detailed demographic data from Hispanics will really only consider Mexicans and Puerto Ricans as URMs....

HarvardHopeful95

Bronze

Postby HarvardHopeful95 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:10 pm

btruj777 wrote:

congrats on that killer GPA!!

HarvardHopeful95

Bronze

Postby HarvardHopeful95 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:10 pm

Wait, really? You think my chances are that good?

btruj777

Bronze

Postby btruj777 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:14 pm

HarvardHopeful95 wrote:
btruj777 wrote:

congrats on that killer GPA!!

Thank you!

It answer the question, and I hate citing these because they are small samples and self-reported BUT it seems that they are being accepted as a semi-good reference point. They come from mylsn : http://mylsn.info/8dgn4y/

ponderingmeerkat

Gold

Postby ponderingmeerkat » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:22 am

HarvardHopeful95 wrote:

Yup. Here's your mylsn.info chart

You'll notice no one with your numbers is rejected at Columbia. About half are waitlisted and the other half are admitted. The reason for the waitlists is schools are yield protecting because if you look at HYS, you'll see you're likely to pick up at least one of those. Columbia knows this so you'll probably want to write that convincing Why Columbia essay if you're deadset on going. But yea, I think if you express they are your number one choice, you'll be in no doubt.

HarvardHopeful95

Bronze

Postby HarvardHopeful95 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:29 pm

ponderingmeerkat wrote:
HarvardHopeful95 wrote:

You'll notice no one with your numbers is rejected at Columbia. About half are waitlisted and the other half are admitted. The reason for the waitlists is schools are yield protecting because if you look at HYS, you'll see you're likely to pick up at least one of those. Columbia knows this so you'll probably want to write that convincing Why Columbia essay if you're deadset on going. But yea, I think if you express they are your number one choice, you'll be in no doubt.

Whoa, I didn't know that my chances were solid! Thanks so much! I suppose I should also send Harvard an application and see what happens? fingers crossed!

poptart123

Silver

Postby poptart123 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:38 pm

HarvardHopeful95 wrote:
ponderingmeerkat wrote:
HarvardHopeful95 wrote:

Whoa, I didn't know that my chances were solid! Thanks so much! I suppose I should also send Harvard an application and see what happens? fingers crossed!

DEFINITELY do this.

ponderingmeerkat

Gold

Postby ponderingmeerkat » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:45 pm

HarvardHopeful95 wrote:
ponderingmeerkat wrote:
HarvardHopeful95 wrote:

I would. There's a decent chance you'll get it.

Good luck! Excited for you! 8)

Return to “What are my chances??