175/3.98 STEM chance at HYS/$$$CCN?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
ChelseaZ

New

175/3.98 STEM chance at HYS/$$$CCN?

Postby ChelseaZ » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:33 pm

Hi TLS friends,
With my 175/3.97 (STEM background, not URM, philosophy double major, no WE), is HLS pretty much a lock? What about YLS and SLS? Is my STEM background gonna be a + or - if I mention it in my ps? Money is also a serious issue for me; do I stand a chance for Hamilton/Ruby at CC?

Thank you so much for any comment! I just want to say that I am very very grateful for my stats and are more than willing to share my retake experience of LSAT from 165 to 175 to anyone who is interested. No intention whatsoever to show off. Genuine advice needed!

29qwerty29

New

Re: 175/3.98 STEM chance at HYS/$$$CCN?

Postby 29qwerty29 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:05 pm

Would love to hear a bit about your experience going from a 165 --> 175.. got a 165 in september, was PTing around 168 so within range. but i am planning to take again. feel like i've used most of the PTs., you redo a bunch?

And on your STEM question, I think you can turn it into a positive. depending on school you attended, program etc. If you do it right you should be able to underscore how impressive your GPA is.

dietcoke1

Silver

Postby dietcoke1 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:45 pm

Assuming you can put together a competent PS and your LOR are not awful, you should be in at H. SLS and YLS tend to be unpredictable. I would imagine that you would see money from the CCN as well, just put the effort in into your apps.

tyroneslothrop1

Bronze

Postby tyroneslothrop1 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:26 pm

Go to the highest ranked T14 you can that offers you a full ride (or very near one). It will be like receiving a check for 200K at the end of your graduation.

somedeadman

Bronze

Postby somedeadman » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:41 pm

29qwerty29 wrote:Would love to hear a bit about your experience going from a 165 --> 175.. got a 165 in september, was PTing around 168 so within range. but i am planning to take again. feel like i've used most of the PTs., you redo a bunch?

And on your STEM question, I think you can turn it into a positive. depending on school you attended, program etc. If you do it right you should be able to underscore how impressive your GPA is.

I'm also interested in hearing more, and am in a similar situation

somedeadman

Bronze

Postby somedeadman » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:43 pm

tyroneslothrop1 wrote:Go to the highest ranked T14 you can that offers you a full ride (or very near one). It will be like receiving a check for 200K at the end of your graduation.

Also interested in hearing this rationale explained a little more. In a theoretical example, 60-100k at Michigan is better than Harvard at full-price as an option?

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:47 pm

Put in as much effort into your app if you had a 165 LSAT - seriously, don't skimp: write why Xs for every school - and you'll likely get full rides from every non-HYS you apply to. After that you can post a poll about whether to go that route, or go to HYS, which you'll likely get into.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Postby jbagelboy » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:04 pm

somedeadman wrote:
tyroneslothrop1 wrote:Go to the highest ranked T14 you can that offers you a full ride (or very near one). It will be like receiving a check for 200K at the end of your graduation.

Also interested in hearing this rationale explained a little more. In a theoretical example, 60-100k at Michigan is better than Harvard at full-price as an option?

No. You can't really make a theoretical judgment call like this. It depends on your full debt level at each institutions and where you want to work, among other factors. But I'd say all else even, taking Michigan at a $60k scholarship over HLS would be stupid. I also think loaning $300k to go to HLS over Michigan with a Darrow would be stupid. There's a lot in between those outcomes that depends on other factors.

OP will do very well. The lack of WE probably means he or she won't sweep the T14, but it will be close.

irving80

New

Postby irving80 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:38 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
somedeadman wrote:

No. You can't really make a theoretical judgment call like this. It depends on your full debt level at each institutions and where you want to work, among other factors. But I'd say all else even, taking Michigan at a $60k scholarship over HLS would be stupid. I also think loaning $300k to go to HLS over Michigan with a Darrow would be stupid. There's a lot in between those outcomes that depends on other factors.

OP will do very well. The lack of WE probably means he or she won't sweep the T14, but it will be close.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what does WE stand for!?

jbagelboy

Diamond

Postby jbagelboy » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:57 pm

irving80 wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
somedeadman wrote:

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what does WE stand for!?

No worries-- Work experience.

Return to “What are my chances??