163, 3.3GPA Chance me please

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
2016lawschoolhope

New
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:36 pm

163, 3.3GPA Chance me please

Postby 2016lawschoolhope » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:55 pm

LSAT: 163 LSAT
GPA: 3.3 (3.65 after Freshmen Year) - At a top 3 public university

Strong personal statement
2 great rec letters, 1 good rec letter

2 years work experience during college (started my own company)
Political Internship, Non-Profit Internship, Oversees Internship, and Startup Internship (that led to a part time job during 4th year)

Applying to

Boston University
Boston College
Notre Dame
William & Mary
George Washington
Emory
University of Illinois - Urbana Champaign
University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill

What are my chances at these schools? Any others I should apply to? Would ED at any of these help/hurt?

Thanks for the help!

User avatar
Clearly

Gold
Posts: 4191
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: 163, 3.3GPA Chance me please

Postby Clearly » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:13 pm

Please buckle down and retake the LSAT.

2016lawschoolhope

New
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:36 pm

Re: 163, 3.3GPA Chance me please

Postby 2016lawschoolhope » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:57 pm

Clearly wrote:Please buckle down and retake the LSAT.


You think no shot at any of these?

User avatar
Clearly

Gold
Posts: 4191
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: 163, 3.3GPA Chance me please

Postby Clearly » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:53 pm

No, I think it's a bad idea to go to any of these without the type of scholarship that score won't get you anyway. At sticker you're gonna pay several thousand a month in payments for a decade or more, and none of these schools place well into jobs that can meet that payment.
Good news though, you just have to get a lot better at a multiple choice test and you can go to one of these for free or a better school if you want!

What's your career goals? What do you want to do?

User avatar
trebekismyhero

Silver
Posts: 806
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 5:26 pm

Re: 163, 3.3GPA Chance me please

Postby trebekismyhero » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:02 am

Where do you want to work? You will get good scholarship money from Illinois, but if you have no ties or desire to work in Chicago then it would be a bad idea. Same goes for UNC. Have a chance at getting into the others but it will be at sticker or close to it. Definitely retake.

2016lawschoolhope

New
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:36 pm

Re: 163, 3.3GPA Chance me please

Postby 2016lawschoolhope » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:14 am

So my career goals is to do health law litigation - in a major city (preferably Chicago/Boston - just really like them), would also like NY/Philly.

Luckily i'll be heading into Law School with about 90k saved up and ideally want to go this coming fall.

I'm okay with close to sticker, just want to know my chances on admission.

User avatar
trebekismyhero

Silver
Posts: 806
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 5:26 pm

Re: 163, 3.3GPA Chance me please

Postby trebekismyhero » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:49 am

You shouldn't be ok with paying sticker. There are only a few schools worth paying sticker and none of these schools are. They are all fine schools, but the most likely outcome from them won't allow you to service the debt that you'll take on.

User avatar
Clearly

Gold
Posts: 4191
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: 163, 3.3GPA Chance me please

Postby Clearly » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:57 am

2016lawschoolhope wrote:So my career goals is to do health law litigation - in a major city (preferably Chicago/Boston - just really like them), would also like NY/Philly.

Luckily i'll be heading into Law School with about 90k saved up and ideally want to go this coming fall.

I'm okay with close to sticker, just want to know my chances on admission.


Are you independently wealthy? That work is largely done by firms that either don't hire from these schools, or hire no more than 30% of the students from these schools. Those are awful odds. If you don't get that job, your next best option prob pays around 50k. You are either going to rely on government programs to pay that back, or you're independently wealthy.

OR you can ace a multiple choice test, and go to a school that all but guarantees a big firm job, or take your chances at one of these schools for less money! It's a multiple choice test man! Trust me, things aren't as rosy as you apparently think, but all hope is not lost. I had a 164 - 2.9 gpa, and I studied my ass off to get to 164. Then I sat out a year, kept working, slayed the lsat, went to a t10, got my 180k. It may have been the best decision I've ever made, statistically the modal outcome from any of those schools is 35-50k a year income. Some chunk will be higher, but thats what you're looking at. There is no in between. You either make 50k or 180k. For you, the difference is a few questions on a multiple choice test. Don't be stupid.

Creasey

New
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:01 pm

Re: 163, 3.3GPA Chance me please

Postby Creasey » Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:10 am

Clearly wrote:
2016lawschoolhope wrote:So my career goals is to do health law litigation - in a major city (preferably Chicago/Boston - just really like them), would also like NY/Philly.

Luckily i'll be heading into Law School with about 90k saved up and ideally want to go this coming fall.

I'm okay with close to sticker, just want to know my chances on admission.


Are you independently wealthy? That work is largely done by firms that either don't hire from these schools, or hire no more than 30% of the students from these schools. Those are awful odds. If you don't get that job, your next best option prob pays around 50k. You are either going to rely on government programs to pay that back, or you're independently wealthy.

OR you can ace a multiple choice test, and go to a school that all but guarantees a big firm job, or take your chances at one of these schools for less money! It's a multiple choice test man! Trust me, things aren't as rosy as you apparently think, but all hope is not lost. I had a 164 - 2.9 gpa, and I studied my ass off to get to 164. Then I sat out a year, kept working, slayed the lsat, went to a t10, got my 180k. It may have been the best decision I've ever made, statistically the modal outcome from any of those schools is 35-50k a year income. Some chunk will be higher, but thats what you're looking at. There is no in between. You either make 50k or 180k. For you, the difference is a few questions on a multiple choice test. Don't be stupid.



This dude TLS is cynical AF. Doubt he actually attended T10.

User avatar
Clearly

Gold
Posts: 4191
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: 163, 3.3GPA Chance me please

Postby Clearly » Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:26 am

Creasey wrote:
Clearly wrote:
2016lawschoolhope wrote:So my career goals is to do health law litigation - in a major city (preferably Chicago/Boston - just really like them), would also like NY/Philly.

Luckily i'll be heading into Law School with about 90k saved up and ideally want to go this coming fall.

I'm okay with close to sticker, just want to know my chances on admission.


Are you independently wealthy? That work is largely done by firms that either don't hire from these schools, or hire no more than 30% of the students from these schools. Those are awful odds. If you don't get that job, your next best option prob pays around 50k. You are either going to rely on government programs to pay that back, or you're independently wealthy.

OR you can ace a multiple choice test, and go to a school that all but guarantees a big firm job, or take your chances at one of these schools for less money! It's a multiple choice test man! Trust me, things aren't as rosy as you apparently think, but all hope is not lost. I had a 164 - 2.9 gpa, and I studied my ass off to get to 164. Then I sat out a year, kept working, slayed the lsat, went to a t10, got my 180k. It may have been the best decision I've ever made, statistically the modal outcome from any of those schools is 35-50k a year income. Some chunk will be higher, but thats what you're looking at. There is no in between. You either make 50k or 180k. For you, the difference is a few questions on a multiple choice test. Don't be stupid.



This dude TLS is cynical AF. Doubt he actually attended T10.

Accurately reporting data doesn't equal cynicism. Besides, I'm not being cynical, I'm being rather hopeful. Crush the multiple choice test and be spared a lot of debt. I'm not telling him he can't do it, I'm telling him he can, after retaking.

Also is your evidence that I didn't go to a great school that I'm cynical? Cuz that'd be awful evidence.

Data don't lie:
Image

Look, I'm not trying to sound like an asshole or a cynic, but you apparently don't understand how sketchy of an investment law school is. Paying back 300k blows when you make 180 and would be impossible on 60. The data from the schools you can get into with these numbers shows that you're more likely to get fucked than not get fucked if you pay sticker. Data from the industry show few jobs in between 60-160. It really is the haves and the have nots. You could mitigate the costs, you could get a scholarship, but again you'd need the stats in the first place. You could (or would have to) go on PAYE, which will indeed keep you from bankruptcy but is still a far cry from actually servicing your debt. So please, rather than call me names, just tell me which part of this you actually disagree with.

cavalier1138

Gold
Posts: 4954
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: 163, 3.3GPA Chance me please

Postby cavalier1138 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:00 am

Creasey wrote:This dude TLS is cynical AF. Doubt he actually attended T10.


How do you propose paying off $200k in loans (accounting for OP's $90k contribution)? A Gofundme drive?

lawlorbust

Bronze
Posts: 425
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:50 am

Re: 163, 3.3GPA Chance me please

Postby lawlorbust » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:13 am

Creasey wrote:This dude TLS is cynical AF. Doubt he actually attended T10.


(Duke posters MAF)

User avatar
lymenheimer

Gold
Posts: 3979
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:54 am

Re: 163, 3.3GPA Chance me please

Postby lymenheimer » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:30 am

lawlorbust wrote:(Duke posters MAF)


Yea, just a little. :x

User avatar
ml2srosie

New
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:45 pm

Re: 163, 3.3GPA Chance me please

Postby ml2srosie » Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:22 pm

2016lawschoolhope wrote:LSAT: 163 LSAT
GPA: 3.3 (3.65 after Freshmen Year) - At a top 3 public university

Strong personal statement
2 great rec letters, 1 good rec letter

2 years work experience during college (started my own company)
Political Internship, Non-Profit Internship, Oversees Internship, and Startup Internship (that led to a part time job during 4th year)

Applying to

Boston University
Boston College
Notre Dame
William & Mary
George Washington
Emory
University of Illinois - Urbana Champaign
University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill

What are my chances at these schools? Any others I should apply to? Would ED at any of these help/hurt?

Thanks for the help!


What is a Top 3 public university? According to whom?

Anyhow, people grossly overestimate the importance of recs and PS. Yes, both can sink you if they are very bad, but both have little value add if they are "strong" or "great." Practically everyone has a great PS and recs. Unless yours is composed on POTUS stationary and contains vivid anecdotes about your experience advising Obama, it really isn't going to stand out. Internships are also a dime a dozen.

Seems like you are a smart person...study for the LSAT, break 170, and go T14. It's completely silly to waste your $90k savings on LS. Use that towards a house/apt in the city where you will practice.

My husband is a JD and admissions director at a law school (not Cooley, save the jokes) and I am a current law school applicant. My husband gave me the same advice as what others on this board are proffering. Don't be a dunce.

CPAlawHopefu

Bronze
Posts: 247
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:17 pm

Re: 163, 3.3GPA Chance me please

Postby CPAlawHopefu » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:46 pm

It's one thing to offer an advice, it's another to blatantly ignore the questions and spam the thread with the usual mumbo jumbo. The OP asked specific questions about his chances. For once I really wish the TLS community would drop this whole "retake or die" fiasco and actually stay on topic. The OP didn't ask any advice on career advice, he selected specific schools and wanted to know his chance of getting in. Whether or not he chooses to attend LS this year is a different topic for another time. I understand that people offer advice with good intent but it's reached a point of becoming almost toxic to this community and it's sickening.

That being said.

Boston University - Slight Reach
Boston College - Target
Notre Dame - Slight Reach
William & Mary - Target
George Washington - Reach
Emory - Reach
University of Illinois - Urbana Champaign - Safety
University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill - Safety

You should also look at schools like Fordham and WUSTL and apply to some strong strong flagships like Indiana, Iowa and Minnesota. These are all within your range.

cavalier1138

Gold
Posts: 4954
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: 163, 3.3GPA Chance me please

Postby cavalier1138 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:57 pm

CPAlawHopefu wrote:It's one thing to offer an advice, it's another to blatantly ignore the questions and spam the thread with the usual mumbo jumbo. The OP asked specific questions about his chances. For once I really wish the TLS community would drop this whole "retake or die" fiasco and actually stay on topic. The OP didn't ask any advice on career advice, he selected specific schools and wanted to know his chance of getting in. Whether or not he chooses to attend LS this year is a different topic for another time. I understand that people offer advice with good intent but it's reached a point of becoming almost toxic to this community and it's sickening.

That being said.

Boston University - Slight Reach
Boston College - Target
Notre Dame - Slight Reach
William & Mary - Target
George Washington - Reach
Emory - Reach
University of Illinois - Urbana Champaign - Safety
University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill - Safety

You should also look at schools like Fordham and WUSTL and apply to some strong strong flagships like Indiana, Iowa and Minnesota. These are all within your range.


Except this totally ignores the same issue that the OP appears to be ignoring: how are they paying off this debt? I don't see any schools in their list where they'll be getting a sizable scholarship at their current numbers. And with six figures of debt, they will need a better job than median can get them at all of these choices.

No one is saying the OP needs to retake because these are bad schools. They're saying that a lawyer at a mid-sized law firm in [insert region here] cannot earn enough to cover the debt they would incur by going to these schools without significant scholarship offers.

CPAlawHopefu

Bronze
Posts: 247
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:17 pm

Re: 163, 3.3GPA Chance me please

Postby CPAlawHopefu » Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:05 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
CPAlawHopefu wrote:It's one thing to offer an advice, it's another to blatantly ignore the questions and spam the thread with the usual mumbo jumbo. The OP asked specific questions about his chances. For once I really wish the TLS community would drop this whole "retake or die" fiasco and actually stay on topic. The OP didn't ask any advice on career advice, he selected specific schools and wanted to know his chance of getting in. Whether or not he chooses to attend LS this year is a different topic for another time. I understand that people offer advice with good intent but it's reached a point of becoming almost toxic to this community and it's sickening.

That being said.

Boston University - Slight Reach
Boston College - Target
Notre Dame - Slight Reach
William & Mary - Target
George Washington - Reach
Emory - Reach
University of Illinois - Urbana Champaign - Safety
University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill - Safety

You should also look at schools like Fordham and WUSTL and apply to some strong strong flagships like Indiana, Iowa and Minnesota. These are all within your range.


Except this totally ignores the same issue that the OP appears to be ignoring: how are they paying off this debt? I don't see any schools in their list where they'll be getting a sizable scholarship at their current numbers. And with six figures of debt, they will need a better job than median can get them at all of these choices.

No one is saying the OP needs to retake because these are bad schools. They're saying that a lawyer at a mid-sized law firm in [insert region here] cannot earn enough to cover the debt they would incur by going to these schools without significant scholarship offers.


OP didn't ask whether he'll get scholly from the listed schools, nor did he ask anything about his chance of landing his dream job from these schools. It's been a week since he made this thread and not a single person here answered the actual question asked and I see something grossly wrong with the pattern here. Anyone with 170+ LSAT, people are willing to answer questions. But dare you ask a question with anything less and you get spammed with "retake!!!! THIS DOESN'T EVEN WARRANT AN ANSWER!!". Why the discrimination? Check the forum title, it says "What are my chances", not "Should I go to these schools for my dream job". Your concern is more befitting to the other forum "Choosing a Law School", which isn't this one. TLSers should seriously drop this BS behavior.

User avatar
trebekismyhero

Silver
Posts: 806
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 5:26 pm

Re: 163, 3.3GPA Chance me please

Postby trebekismyhero » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:18 pm

CPAlawHopefu wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
CPAlawHopefu wrote:It's one thing to offer an advice, it's another to blatantly ignore the questions and spam the thread with the usual mumbo jumbo. The OP asked specific questions about his chances. For once I really wish the TLS community would drop this whole "retake or die" fiasco and actually stay on topic. The OP didn't ask any advice on career advice, he selected specific schools and wanted to know his chance of getting in. Whether or not he chooses to attend LS this year is a different topic for another time. I understand that people offer advice with good intent but it's reached a point of becoming almost toxic to this community and it's sickening.

That being said.

Boston University - Slight Reach
Boston College - Target
Notre Dame - Slight Reach
William & Mary - Target
George Washington - Reach
Emory - Reach
University of Illinois - Urbana Champaign - Safety
University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill - Safety

You should also look at schools like Fordham and WUSTL and apply to some strong strong flagships like Indiana, Iowa and Minnesota. These are all within your range.


Except this totally ignores the same issue that the OP appears to be ignoring: how are they paying off this debt? I don't see any schools in their list where they'll be getting a sizable scholarship at their current numbers. And with six figures of debt, they will need a better job than median can get them at all of these choices.

No one is saying the OP needs to retake because these are bad schools. They're saying that a lawyer at a mid-sized law firm in [insert region here] cannot earn enough to cover the debt they would incur by going to these schools without significant scholarship offers.


OP didn't ask whether he'll get scholly from the listed schools, nor did he ask anything about his chance of landing his dream job from these schools. It's been a week since he made this thread and not a single person here answered the actual question asked and I see something grossly wrong with the pattern here. Anyone with 170+ LSAT, people are willing to answer questions. But dare you ask a question with anything less and you get spammed with "retake!!!! THIS DOESN'T EVEN WARRANT AN ANSWER!!". Why the discrimination? Check the forum title, it says "What are my chances", not "Should I go to these schools for my dream job". Your concern is more befitting to the other forum "Choosing a Law School", which isn't this one. TLSers should seriously drop this BS behavior.


I did answer him, you just didn't pay attention. And it is not just about the scholarship, it is about going to school in a region you plan on practicing. Outside of the t14, it is not like undergrad where you can go anywhere. OP and others should know that and also be told that taking on a lot of debt when the most likely outcome is a $60k salary is not a good idea especially when a couple points can save someone literally tens of thousands of dollars. It is not about getting a 170+, it is about maximizing your scholarship opportunities at schools you are applying.

Rubbishdump

Bronze
Posts: 315
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:16 am

Re: 163, 3.3GPA Chance me please

Postby Rubbishdump » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:36 pm

I would go to the best school you can get in within the state you want to live after graduation, OP. I'm sure you can get into a strong regional.

cavalier1138

Gold
Posts: 4954
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: 163, 3.3GPA Chance me please

Postby cavalier1138 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:36 pm

CPAlawHopefu wrote:OP didn't ask whether he'll get scholly from the listed schools, nor did he ask anything about his chance of landing his dream job from these schools. It's been a week since he made this thread and not a single person here answered the actual question asked and I see something grossly wrong with the pattern here. Anyone with 170+ LSAT, people are willing to answer questions. But dare you ask a question with anything less and you get spammed with "retake!!!! THIS DOESN'T EVEN WARRANT AN ANSWER!!". Why the discrimination? Check the forum title, it says "What are my chances", not "Should I go to these schools for my dream job". Your concern is more befitting to the other forum "Choosing a Law School", which isn't this one. TLSers should seriously drop this BS behavior.


That's right, the OP didn't ask that. Which is why I noted that both of you were ignoring a major point.

The OP was given plenty of answers that evaluated their chances at admission. Adding information to tell them that going to any of the chosen schools at sticker price is financial suicide is not a bad thing.

I get that someone's clearly made you feel bad in the past for not scoring high enough, but since everyone talking about money is literally only looking out for the OP's financial future, it's more than a little childish to lash out at all the mean ol' TLS posters. Why do you think people are universally giving the same advice? Do you think they're trying to thin out the competition at GW?

CPAlawHopefu

Bronze
Posts: 247
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:17 pm

Re: 163, 3.3GPA Chance me please

Postby CPAlawHopefu » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:34 am

trebekismyhero wrote:I did answer him, you just didn't pay attention. And it is not just about the scholarship, it is about going to school in a region you plan on practicing. Outside of the t14, it is not like undergrad where you can go anywhere. OP and others should know that and also be told that taking on a lot of debt when the most likely outcome is a $60k salary is not a good idea especially when a couple points can save someone literally tens of thousands of dollars. It is not about getting a 170+, it is about maximizing your scholarship opportunities at schools you are applying.


My bad. I reread the thread and I see that you are the only one that actually cared to answer his question.

cavalier1138 wrote:
CPAlawHopefu wrote:OP didn't ask whether he'll get scholly from the listed schools, nor did he ask anything about his chance of landing his dream job from these schools. It's been a week since he made this thread and not a single person here answered the actual question asked and I see something grossly wrong with the pattern here. Anyone with 170+ LSAT, people are willing to answer questions. But dare you ask a question with anything less and you get spammed with "retake!!!! THIS DOESN'T EVEN WARRANT AN ANSWER!!". Why the discrimination? Check the forum title, it says "What are my chances", not "Should I go to these schools for my dream job". Your concern is more befitting to the other forum "Choosing a Law School", which isn't this one. TLSers should seriously drop this BS behavior.


That's right, the OP didn't ask that. Which is why I noted that both of you were ignoring a major point.

The OP was given plenty of answers that evaluated their chances at admission. Adding information to tell them that going to any of the chosen schools at sticker price is financial suicide is not a bad thing.

I get that someone's clearly made you feel bad in the past for not scoring high enough, but since everyone talking about money is literally only looking out for the OP's financial future, it's more than a little childish to lash out at all the mean ol' TLS posters. Why do you think people are universally giving the same advice? Do you think they're trying to thin out the competition at GW?


No, OP wasn't given "plenty of answers" other than the one by trebekismyhero that I missed earlier. Most of all he got was why he shouldn't attend those schools at sticker instead of getting his questions answered.

"what are my chances of getting in to xyz schools"
"you shouldn't go there at sticker"
"ok but what are my chances?"
"you are making a bad decision by going there at sticker"
"i understand but I still want to know my chances"
"you aren't listening. you should retake."

*facepalm*

Again, going back to what I've said earlier, OP wasn't asking for anyone's advice on what schools to attend. It's frustrating when someone creates a thread to ask a simple question only to be bombarded with completely irrelevant points (good intent or not, most people here weren't answering any of his questions). Everyone here already understands that going to a non-T14 school at sticker is almost always a poor decision, but no one here wants their thread spammed with the same crap that they have to scroll down through on every other thread here. Leave opinion to yourself unless asked of it, he never asked for it.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond
Posts: 29316
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: 163, 3.3GPA Chance me please

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:28 am

When you're asking for free advice, you're kind of at the mercy of what people want to tell you.

Also, mylsn.info has as good information about where someone is likely to get in as anyone on this website does.

User avatar
Clearly

Gold
Posts: 4191
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: 163, 3.3GPA Chance me please

Postby Clearly » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:21 am

CPAlawHopefu wrote:
trebekismyhero wrote:I did answer him, you just didn't pay attention. And it is not just about the scholarship, it is about going to school in a region you plan on practicing. Outside of the t14, it is not like undergrad where you can go anywhere. OP and others should know that and also be told that taking on a lot of debt when the most likely outcome is a $60k salary is not a good idea especially when a couple points can save someone literally tens of thousands of dollars. It is not about getting a 170+, it is about maximizing your scholarship opportunities at schools you are applying.


My bad. I reread the thread and I see that you are the only one that actually cared to answer his question.

cavalier1138 wrote:
CPAlawHopefu wrote:OP didn't ask whether he'll get scholly from the listed schools, nor did he ask anything about his chance of landing his dream job from these schools. It's been a week since he made this thread and not a single person here answered the actual question asked and I see something grossly wrong with the pattern here. Anyone with 170+ LSAT, people are willing to answer questions. But dare you ask a question with anything less and you get spammed with "retake!!!! THIS DOESN'T EVEN WARRANT AN ANSWER!!". Why the discrimination? Check the forum title, it says "What are my chances", not "Should I go to these schools for my dream job". Your concern is more befitting to the other forum "Choosing a Law School", which isn't this one. TLSers should seriously drop this BS behavior.


That's right, the OP didn't ask that. Which is why I noted that both of you were ignoring a major point.

The OP was given plenty of answers that evaluated their chances at admission. Adding information to tell them that going to any of the chosen schools at sticker price is financial suicide is not a bad thing.

I get that someone's clearly made you feel bad in the past for not scoring high enough, but since everyone talking about money is literally only looking out for the OP's financial future, it's more than a little childish to lash out at all the mean ol' TLS posters. Why do you think people are universally giving the same advice? Do you think they're trying to thin out the competition at GW?


No, OP wasn't given "plenty of answers" other than the one by trebekismyhero that I missed earlier. Most of all he got was why he shouldn't attend those schools at sticker instead of getting his questions answered.

"what are my chances of getting in to xyz schools"
"you shouldn't go there at sticker"
"ok but what are my chances?"
"you are making a bad decision by going there at sticker"
"i understand but I still want to know my chances"
"you aren't listening. you should retake."

*facepalm*

Again, going back to what I've said earlier, OP wasn't asking for anyone's advice on what schools to attend. It's frustrating when someone creates a thread to ask a simple question only to be bombarded with completely irrelevant points (good intent or not, most people here weren't answering any of his questions). Everyone here already understands that going to a non-T14 school at sticker is almost always a poor decision, but no one here wants their thread spammed with the same crap that they have to scroll down through on every other thread here. Leave opinion to yourself unless asked of it, he never asked for it.


I think you're giving random joined this week posters too much credit. The fact that these schools are still full of people paying sticker is plenty of evidence for the belief that someone who just joined TLS and asked about schools scattered about the country might not know that going to these schools with those numbers is a recipe for a bad life. I strongly disagree with your assertion that everyone here already knows that non-t-14 full freight law school is a poor decision, especially those who just joined the site. If he did, he'd be asking different questions, like is a december retake too late.

When I joined this site I had a 164 and a 2.89 and was asking about my chances to fordham and cardozo, I had no idea that the job market is what it is, and these schools are what they are. People informed me about things that are counter-intuitive to people who are caught up in the belief that lawyers make money, like how beating 9/10 people on the LSAT with a 164 was...bad? Thank god they didn't wait around for me to ask these questions because I wouldn't have, I would have gone with my gut and gone to Fordham. I pushed back, but after being informed of such information that no one would ever think to ask (like the bi-modal salary distribution i posted), I made many more threads about improving my outcome, I retook, got my GPA up, followed TLS for admissions advice, ended up at a great school, followed TLS for law school advice, got good grades and a great job. People rubbed me the wrong way when I got here but this website saved my life with the same advice this guy is getting dude, because they know what they are talking about.

You're mad that we're clogging up a thread with valid information that people should have when making a six figure decision, but I think you're looking at this all wrong. I'd be infuriated if this thread was just people answering the exact question posed without providing this information, that'd be a tacit endorsement of these schools at or near sticker, and when you consider that there is someone on the other end of this thread who prob doesn't understand how bad that is, you're literally contributing to seriously fucking up someone's life. I think people can be rude about it sometimes, and I think that hurts the cause, which is why I try to be friendly when providing this information, but even if people are rude, you can't be ignorant, look at that salary distrubtion, get pointed to law school transparency and fail to follow up and do your own research even if people are dicks, and in that sense, they're still contributing to helping people.

TL;DR: I'll rustle feathers and risk clogging the forum and even offending the occasional poster like you, if it saves one uninformed person from a life of poverty because they didn't know how bad it was, or that retaking could have helped. Sorry.

lavarman84

Platinum
Posts: 7693
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 5:01 pm

Re: 163, 3.3GPA Chance me please

Postby lavarman84 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:40 am

CPAlawHopefu wrote:No, OP wasn't given "plenty of answers" other than the one by trebekismyhero that I missed earlier. Most of all he got was why he shouldn't attend those schools at sticker instead of getting his questions answered.

"what are my chances of getting in to xyz schools"
"you shouldn't go there at sticker"
"ok but what are my chances?"
"you are making a bad decision by going there at sticker"
"i understand but I still want to know my chances"
"you aren't listening. you should retake."

*facepalm*

Again, going back to what I've said earlier, OP wasn't asking for anyone's advice on what schools to attend. It's frustrating when someone creates a thread to ask a simple question only to be bombarded with completely irrelevant points (good intent or not, most people here weren't answering any of his questions). Everyone here already understands that going to a non-T14 school at sticker is almost always a poor decision, but no one here wants their thread spammed with the same crap that they have to scroll down through on every other thread here. Leave opinion to yourself unless asked of it, he never asked for it.


No, they really don't. You're a 0L; stay in your lane.

cavalier1138

Gold
Posts: 4954
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: 163, 3.3GPA Chance me please

Postby cavalier1138 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:11 am

CPAlawHopefu wrote:No, OP wasn't given "plenty of answers" other than the one by trebekismyhero that I missed earlier. Most of all he got was why he shouldn't attend those schools at sticker instead of getting his questions answered.

"what are my chances of getting in to xyz schools"
"you shouldn't go there at sticker"
"ok but what are my chances?"
"you are making a bad decision by going there at sticker"
"i understand but I still want to know my chances"
"you aren't listening. you should retake."

*facepalm*

Again, going back to what I've said earlier, OP wasn't asking for anyone's advice on what schools to attend. It's frustrating when someone creates a thread to ask a simple question only to be bombarded with completely irrelevant points (good intent or not, most people here weren't answering any of his questions). Everyone here already understands that going to a non-T14 school at sticker is almost always a poor decision, but no one here wants their thread spammed with the same crap that they have to scroll down through on every other thread here. Leave opinion to yourself unless asked of it, he never asked for it.


If everyone already defaulted to that opinion, this board wouldn't exist. If you want, do a forum search for variations on the phrase "not retaking" to find a nice long list of people who have convinced themselves that they'll be fine paying sticker at a mediocre-or-worse school because lawyers all make six figures as soon as they get their JD.

Imagine that the OP had asked, "What are my chances at getting to do some scuba diving at [x] location?" Would you have deemed all replies telling them that [x] is infested with deadly jellyfish to be "irrelevant"?



Return to “What are my chances??

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: macncheeese, nealric and 5 guests