Super splitter with above average softs

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Sdandrew1990

New

Super splitter with above average softs

Postby Sdandrew1990 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:31 pm

Hey guys, first post on these forums so first let me first say THANK YOU to pithypike and countless people on these forums. I've been reading this forum for half a decade at least.

Now....

2.85/ 173

BUT

I'm 26. I went to college until I was 21 and then I left for four years. I had a drug problem. When I initially left school I had a 2.1.

I went to rehab, got clean, became a mortgage broker for two years and then started my own two businesses for the second two years. I went back to school and got straight As. I still run both businesses to this day. I'm not rich but it's paid for school. Also, I'm an active member of Narcotics anonymous and I sponsor other addicts.

I'm thinking about ED NU. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Last edited by Sdandrew1990 on Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

btruj777

Bronze

Re: Super splitter with highly unique softs

Postby btruj777 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:41 pm

Taking these numbers as they stand and playing with mylsn I saw this: http://mylsn.info/kbu7u7/

However the GPA is a little hard to place in the context of these numbers. With that being said I think you should (A) Write a statement explaining why the grades were the way they were and (B) MILK THE CRAP OUT OF YOUR AMAZING OVERCOMING on the Personal Statement. Looking at the numbers on their face it is hard to tell. And you do not want to convey to the ad comm that you were just lazy, cause you clearly are not. So you need to put these numbers into context. Milk that the fact that you overcame, that you matured, that you leveraged this for the better good. That while you never intend to go down that road again, you do not regret the ability to help those who stood in your shoes. I could be wrong, but you have one hell of a shot at NU if you can convey how far you have come from where you once were. AND NU has optional interviews which is an open door to present yourself voluntarily without the worry of being dismissed so early. With that being said, I am unsure if any interview slots are still open.

Please keep me in the loop. I think NU will be your best pet, especially considering your own business accomplishments.

cavalier1138

Platinum

Postby cavalier1138 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:55 pm

I don't think that being a recovering drug addict is going to be given the universally positive spin you seem to think it will be.

Splitter cycles are unpredictable. Your LSAT will give you a good shot at schools, though, so I'd apply broadly and apply as early as possible.

Clearly

Gold

Postby Clearly » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:56 pm

I don't think you'll get NU ED. It comes with 50k a year NU RD might be the best school you get I into at all, there's no reason to give you 50k a year to go there. Also I'd change your approach with that 11th tradition situation. While I know the struggle and how it can define people, I'm a firm believer that it's way too risky a tactic for admissions. I'd only disclose it insofar as you're required to. If you have a C+F addendum then go into recovery a bit. If you're not required to disclose though, I wouldn't opt to for the sake of say a GPA addendum. Pm me if you'd like, we have some things in common.

ponderingmeerkat

Gold

Postby ponderingmeerkat » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:06 pm

This is one of those situations I'd recommend an admissions consultant like MS9.

Typically those kinds of services aren't that useful (for your typical KJD whose admissions cycle will be purely numbers driven).

But for people who are splitters (super-splitters), are non-traditional older applicants, have a checkered history, and/or have extensive work history, I think those services are probably worth it.

You have all four of those factors so I really think it might be work your time and money (if you can swing it--the good ones like MS9 are expensive--but).

Anyway, good luck dude.

ml2srosie

New

Postby ml2srosie » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:15 pm

Maybe I am missing something but what are the highly unique softs? Starting a business and overcoming a challenge are a dime a dozen in law school admissions. Highly unique softs would be like "Speechwriter for the Secretary of Defense" or "Developer of UAV System for Vaccine Delivery" (taken directly from Yale's entering class).

I am not trying to be harsh and I applaud you for overcoming addiction, but I also want you to be realistic and not set yourself up for disappointment. I would say NU ED is unlikely, but NU RD would be attainable as others have said because 1) they love work experience and 2) your LSAT is very competitive. I don't know what your location preferences are, but I would say you would have a good shot at money from Vandy, Gtown, BU, or WUSTL.

Sdandrew1990

New

Re: Super splitter with above average softs

Postby Sdandrew1990 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:42 pm

Hey guys

I've updated the name of this to reflect what you are saying, haha. I view my story as unique only because I came from nothing and I've worked my way up; I take great pride in it. I understand though, junkies are a dime a dozen.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Does my four years of professional experience and subsequent high LSAT score help mitigate the low GPA?

ml2srosie

New

Postby ml2srosie » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:20 pm

Hey man, again I applaud you for overcoming that stuff. I don't want that to be misunderstood.

I do think WE and LSAT will help to mitigate the GPA, particularly if you find a school where your LSAT is a few points about their 75th. I really think you will get into a T14 with a scholarship.

Sdandrew1990

New

Postby Sdandrew1990 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:12 pm

No offense taken at all. It's not exactly a surprise that being a drug addict isn't exactly a hyper attractive thing. I appreciate the candor and I needed to hear it

hellohalo

Silver

Postby hellohalo » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:42 am

Drug addiction is a big concern for the legal community. Many lawyers are depressed and fall into that. OP should be careful with marketing this uniqueness.

Return to “What are my chances??