3.93/167 Conundrum after three takes Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
BruiseWillis

Bronze

3.93/167 Conundrum after three takes

Post by BruiseWillis » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:09 pm

Hey everybody - I'm in a bit of a pickle.

I just took my third LSAT this Sep. and unfortunately didn't improve from my previous score of 167. I applied late in the cycle last year and was basically between NYU at sticker and $$$ at UT, so I decided to work for a year, wait a cycle, and retake. As I find currently find myself in the same situation as I was last year but without my third take available, I've thought of a few possible options and would appreciate any help or advice you guys may have regarding them:

1. Apply broadly to the T14 from Chi on down, but earlier and with a more polished app than last year(before Halloween instead of late Jan, beefier resume with a full time position and a year of work experience on matric, revised PS, etc.)
2. Above, but with an ED to Northwestern (not sure if I would even be competitive for this, but it is something I may consider for the full ride if I discover I may have a shot)
3. Bite a hard bullet, take another year off, and retake next June when my 2 year test-taking cycle expires allowing for a 4th take. Was PT'ing around 173-176, I guess choked a bit this administration. (How does 4 takes look to an adcom? Hesitant to delay another year, but who knows)

If anybody could offer any advise on this, I would certainly appreciate it :)

lacrossebrother

Platinum

Re: 3.93/167 Conundrum after three takes

Post by lacrossebrother » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:24 pm

how much money do you make and how old are you?
and also are you from Texas (or Tennessee?)

BruiseWillis

Bronze

Post by BruiseWillis » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:28 pm

---
Last edited by BruiseWillis on Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ArtistOfManliness

Silver

Post by ArtistOfManliness » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:30 pm

I'd take the year. (And maybe just apply to HYS now and see if you get lucky... some people get lucky. Just make sure your PS is good.)

lacrossebrother

Platinum

Post by lacrossebrother » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:57 pm

Interesting move. You turned down NYU at sticker, but are going to miss out on two years of earning. Even after taxes and adjusting for big city COL, your choice costs you about $50k a year. So now you're sitting out 2 years that's a $100k decision. Obviously that's in the past, but wanted to just highlight the value of TLS's groupthink.

the question ought to be how sure are you that you can get a scholarship at NYU that's worth $50k (after 4 years of interest). You failed to do so 3x already. I would just go with your best option this cycle.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lacrossebrother

Platinum

Post by lacrossebrother » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:02 pm

Also keep in mind that biglaw pays $20k more now and employment prospects are very good from NYU.

If you do sit out another year, quit your job and have a fuckload of fun. $45k jobs make no sense. You won't save anything and you'll be at an office still. Go do like world travel charity shit or be a ski bum or work at a bar. Make like 20k and live like a pauper. Don't take on any cc debt

BruiseWillis

Bronze

Post by BruiseWillis » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:07 pm

lacrossebrother wrote:Interesting move. You turned down NYU at sticker, but are going to miss out on two years of earning. Even after taxes and adjusting for big city COL, your choice costs you about $50k a year. So now you're sitting out 2 years that's a $100k decision. Obviously that's in the past, but wanted to just highlight the value of TLS's groupthink.

the question ought to be how sure are you that you can get a scholarship at NYU that's worth $50k (after 4 years of interest). You failed to do so 3x already. I would just go with your best option this cycle.
I think my debt aversion got the best of me after reading the loan payment actual numbers thread as well as the biglaw stories about the QOL being so much worse while paying down loans. I guess I thought that a year wouldn't hurt and that I could up my score a few more points in order to get decent scholarship money at some mid T14s or try for HYS. Your point about the opportunity cost does make me question my decision a bit however.

In regards to the current cycle, would you think I should shoot an ED to NW or just blanket? Thanks for the input by the way, glad to hear some advice.

pizzagoblin

Bronze

Post by pizzagoblin » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:49 pm

I was in the same boat as you. Used all three of my LSAT shots, was testing much higher in PTs and was seeking $$$$ at a T14.

When I got a 167 on my third take, I decided to just bite the bullet and apply. I have really bad test anxiety and was unsure if taking another year off would personally make the difference for me. TLS often advises students to retake no matter what, but I had some personal reasons to try for this cycle. So far, I've already been accepted to three of the T14. Of course I don't yet know my scholarship offers, but I am happy that I pushed forward with my applications.

This is an anecdote and obviously won't coincide with what everyone else will advise you. But hopefully this helps.

Good luck!

(3.95 GPA, by the way.)

ZVBXRPL

Silver

Post by ZVBXRPL » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:53 pm

PMd you solution

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:14 pm

lacrossebrother wrote:Interesting move. You turned down NYU at sticker, but are going to miss out on two years of earning. Even after taxes and adjusting for big city COL, your choice costs you about $50k a year. So now you're sitting out 2 years that's a $100k decision. Obviously that's in the past, but wanted to just highlight the value of TLS's groupthink.

does this concern with lost earnings consider the loan payments someone will have to make?

lacrossebrother

Platinum

Post by lacrossebrother » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:24 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:

does this concern with lost earnings consider the loan payments someone will have to make?
Yes that's exactly what it considers
If you don't go to law school for a year bc you didn't get a ~$40k scholarship, then really you haven't improved your situation

tskela

Bronze

Post by tskela » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:35 am

$$$ at UT seems like TCR

BruiseWillis

Bronze

Post by BruiseWillis » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:24 pm

Shameful bump, about to shoot out apps to most of the T14 and ED Northwestern. Any additional advice/thoughts would be extremely appreciated

studyingeveryday

Silver

Post by studyingeveryday » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:26 pm

pizzagoblin wrote:I was in the same boat as you. Used all three of my LSAT shots, was testing much higher in PTs and was seeking $$$$ at a T14.

When I got a 167 on my third take, I decided to just bite the bullet and apply. I have really bad test anxiety and was unsure if taking another year off would personally make the difference for me. TLS often advises students to retake no matter what, but I had some personal reasons to try for this cycle. So far, I've already been accepted to three of the T14. Of course I don't yet know my scholarship offers, but I am happy that I pushed forward with my applications.

This is an anecdote and obviously won't coincide with what everyone else will advise you. But hopefully this helps.

Good luck!

(3.95 GPA, by the way.)
wow, same--I definitely did not get as high as you but I used up all three takes and didn't do as well as I had been practicing. I contemplating taking a second year off but I also have testing anxiety and I don't know whether it would end up making a difference or not.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”