Chances? Re-take?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
CharmCity15

New

Chances? Re-take?

Postby CharmCity15 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:05 pm

Hi all,

Haven't really posted much but long-time site reader. Figured as these started to pop up I'd add mine to my list.

4.0 GPA
170 LSAT
graduated a year early from UG and spending this year working (some part-time political work but full time gig is middle office role at one of the bigger investment banks) so will be 22 if i go next fall but have a full year of work experience.
typical softs nothing special: Decent amount of full-time work in campaigns/government + research in UG (not published yet by professor ) , SGA, academic award from my UG department
middle class white dude

Curious what my chances really would be at Harvard. Like a lot of people, getting in & potentially attending has always been a dream.
Mylsn shows 7 getting in, 2 waitlisted and 1 denied for the last 2 cycles but obviously a small sample size.

Seems from Mylsn I have a very good chance at admissions from Uchicago down but I would assume Columbia+Uchicago+NYU would be around sticker with scholarships going up as I go down the T14 with a chance at some full rides in the 9-14 range. If anyone can tell me if that sounds right or correct me that would be great.

Kind of also interested in thoughts on a retake. Was pting in the 173-176 range the last few weeks. Tempted to study on a more sane schedule and see if I can grab a few more points in December but working multiple jobs and studying was brutal and the idea of stomaching it again scares me.

I'm putting all applications together now and plan to apply to most of the T14 with the score as is and will just send December if I decide to re-take.

Thanks for all the help! After a few years of checking this board every now and again its pretty cool to be at this stage of the process.

sweets91

Silver

Re: Chances? Re-take?

Postby sweets91 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:10 pm

I like your username charmcity :)

I say retake the December test. It seems that the only thing stopping you is your reluctance to study, but since that's all you'll be doing for 3 more years (well more like 1.5 years b/c after you get an SA, who cares), you should get used to it. Also, schools only consider your highest score, so it won't matter if you end up getting a lower score. You also wouldn't have to wait for the next cycle if you take the Dec test, so that's another plus.

I think you have a chance at Harvard w/ your stats right now, b/c your GPA is awesome, but you're probably not looking at any $$. If you can get your score to a 175 you're golden, but I think even a 2-3 point boost would be worth the retake.

CharmCity15

New

Postby CharmCity15 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:17 pm

Thanks @sweets91! Glad there is another Baltimore fan around here haha.

Yeah I'm leaning re-take but will still apply with these scores first.

I'm curious, when you say probably not looking at $$ do you mean just at Harvard or anywhere in the T14? I was under the impression that Harvard had no merit aid but let me know if I'm wrong.

sweets91

Silver

Postby sweets91 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:21 pm

CharmCity15 wrote:Thanks @sweets91! Glad there is another Baltimore fan around here haha.

I'm curious, when you say probably not looking at $$ do you mean just at Harvard or anywhere in the T14? I was under the impression that Harvard had no merit aid but let me know if I'm wrong.

I meant Harvard, but that was error on my part! You're right about Harvard not giving merit aid (It's been a while since I applied..)

That being said, I think you could get money from other T14 schools as you stand, most likely from Penn down

jstanhope14

New

Postby jstanhope14 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:27 pm

sweets91 wrote:
CharmCity15 wrote:Thanks @sweets91! Glad there is another Baltimore fan around here haha.

I meant Harvard, but that was error on my part! You're right about Harvard not giving merit aid (It's been a while since I applied..)

That being said, I think you could get money from other T14 schools as you stand, most likely from Penn down

Harvard is all need based aid so it doesn't matter

CharmCity15

New

Postby CharmCity15 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:39 am

Bump. Anyone else wanna chime in?

Return to “What are my chances??