3.74, 159. URM - Chances? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Notanotherone

New

3.74, 159. URM - Chances?

Post by Notanotherone » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:08 pm

Hi all,

My reach/dream is Berkeley. I've got strong softs, and am a gay, Mexican-American woman with immigrant parents, etc. Economically disadvantaged but made it out. Also, interned for govt in D.C. a summer, 2 internships at once during school, super involved, etc.

What are my chances? Will a killer statement get me in? I want to stay in CA so my other choices are UCLA, USC. I'm not expecting $$$ at this point, and really really don't want to take the LSAT again.

sweets91

Silver

Re: 3.74, 159. URM - Chances?

Post by sweets91 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:14 pm

No, a killer statement will not get you in. Neither will your softs, no matter how "super involved" you were.
Not trying to be mean, just being real with you. If you browsed this forum at all, you'd know that law school admission is a numbers game.

If you "really really" don't want to take the LSATs again only b/c you're being lazy, etc., then you have a long road ahead of you in law school.

Your GPA is too high to waste on a 159. Make the financially responsible choice for your future and retake. As of right now, I'd say Berkeley is not realistic for you

Notanotherone

New

Re: 3.74, 159. URM - Chances?

Post by Notanotherone » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:41 pm

sweets91 wrote:No, a killer statement will not get you in. Neither will your softs, no matter how "super involved" you were.
Not trying to be mean, just being real with you. If you browsed this forum at all, you'd know that law school admission is a numbers game.

If you "really really" don't want to take the LSATs again only b/c you're being lazy, etc., then you have a long road ahead of you in law school.

Your GPA is too high to waste on a 159. Make the financially responsible choice for your future and retake. As of right now, I'd say Berkeley is not realistic for you
That one phrase "Your GPA is too high to waste on a 159" is the most striking I've heard thus far. I appreciate the honesty, I think I was too optimistic but you're right. I was practicing in the mid 160's, and know I can hit that on the real thing if I actually take a course. I'm going to chance it and retake! Which means next cycle here we come.

Return to “What are my chances?”