161, 3.5 - Will my softs help?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
a.sch

New

161, 3.5 - Will my softs help?

Postby a.sch » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:36 pm

I know that my LSAT is low - I self studied while working more than full time, took it again after studying more, and got a lower score. At this point I'm not planning to retake.

I was a biology double major (other major was kinesiology) at a top 20 undergrad university. I was a scholarship D1 athlete as well. I've been working in estate planning and wealth management since I graduated in May 2015 and also have a paper pending publication in a surgical journal (I'm interested in medicine and ethics and am just working in finance to pay the bills/have job/life experience). I know that my rec letters, resume, etc.

Will these softs give any boost for getting into schools like BC, BU, GW, W&M, etc, or will they not stand out at all?

Thank you!

amta

Platinum

Re: 161, 3.5 - Will my softs help?

Postby amta » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:25 pm

a.sch wrote:I know that my LSAT is low - I self studied while working more than full time, took it again after studying more, and got a lower score. At this point I'm not planning to retake.

I was a biology double major (other major was kinesiology) at a top 20 undergrad university. I was a scholarship D1 athlete as well. I've been working in estate planning and wealth management since I graduated in May 2015 and also have a paper pending publication in a surgical journal (I'm interested in medicine and ethics and am just working in finance to pay the bills/have job/life experience). I know that my rec letters, resume, etc.

Will these softs give any boost for getting into schools like BC, BU, GW, W&M, etc, or will they not stand out at all?

Thank you!

no they won't. retake.

hoping4thebest

New

Postby hoping4thebest » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:18 pm

I had similar numbers and a similar background (athlete at top college and a couple of years work experience) and I was accepted to the schools I applied to that you listed.

somebodyelse

New

Postby somebodyelse » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:10 pm

amta wrote:
a.sch wrote:I know that my LSAT is low - I self studied while working more than full time, took it again after studying more, and got a lower score. At this point I'm not planning to retake.

Thank you!

no they won't. retake.

I've heard that being a D1 athlete and having publications are softs that have some sway.

HYPSM

Bronze

Postby HYPSM » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:28 pm

Last edited by HYPSM on Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grades??

Silver

Postby grades?? » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:07 pm

somebodyelse wrote:
amta wrote:

Thank you!

no they won't. retake.

I've heard that being a D1 athlete and having publications are softs that have some sway.

Not true. Was a former D1 and the professional athlete. Made no difference on my applications. Same with a guy I played with professionally who is also in law school. Neither of us got any bump. Also had a publication as well.

ForumCommissar

New

Postby ForumCommissar » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:39 pm

No they will not. Maybe if you made the Olympics or were a NYT best seller they would count

a.sch

New

Postby a.sch » Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:26 pm

hoping4thebest wrote:I had similar numbers and a similar background (athlete at top college and a couple of years work experience) and I was accepted to the schools I applied to that you listed.

Thanks for your feedback - good to know someone else who was in the same boat. Congrats on getting in!

Return to “What are my chances??