3.87, 165 Non-URM

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
soxfan19

New

3.87, 165 Non-URM

Postby soxfan19 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:10 pm

Non URM, 3.87, 165. Not applying this cycle, don't graduate until next year.

Vanderbilt is the #1, but have been considering Ohio St, Indiana, BU, BC, maybe Cornell.

Yes, I plan to retake and see what I can get.

cavalier1138

Platinum

Re: 3.87, 165 Non-URM

Postby cavalier1138 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:29 pm

Those schools are pretty spread out geographically. What are your career goals?

zeglo

Silver

Postby zeglo » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:59 pm

Last edited by zeglo on Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

soxfan19

New

Postby soxfan19 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:21 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:Those schools are pretty spread out geographically. What are your career goals?

Yeah, I'm from the Midwest, but wanting out of it. Career goals I have always wanted to do in house counsel work or big law. However, I recognize that my wants may change by graduation.

soxfan19

New

Postby soxfan19 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:23 pm

zeglo wrote:I had a very similar profile but retook for a good improvement. Anyway, BU would be good IMO due to probably getting a lot of money.

Yeah, I plan on retaking. RC gave me some troubles.

hangold

New

Postby hangold » Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:51 am

Is scholarship a primary concern or are you looking to get into the best school possible?

soxfan19

New

Postby soxfan19 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:59 pm

hangold wrote:Is scholarship a primary concern or are you looking to get into the best school possible?

A little bit of both. Of course I want to be in a good school that will provide me the best future. However, I recognize that I don't want a ton of debt.

marcusme

New

Postby marcusme » Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:12 pm

soxfan19 wrote:
hangold wrote:Is scholarship a primary concern or are you looking to get into the best school possible?

A little bit of both. Of course I want to be in a good school that will provide me the best future. However, I recognize that I don't want a ton of debt.

If your goal is big law, you should retake, even if it means taking an additional year off. With a GPA that high, you will have a chance at Harvard if you score a 170+. Top 20 schools will also throw scholarship money at you. Remember there are only a limited number of big law positions and firms place immense weight on the "prestige" of the school. If you go to Vanderbilt, you will be rolling the dice and hoping you finish in the top 20%.

RamTitan

Silver

Postby RamTitan » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:40 pm

For improving on RC, I recommend redoing passages over and over again. Once you've dissected a passage enough, the structure and how to answer questions in other passages will become apparent.

soxfan19

New

Postby soxfan19 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:57 pm

marcusme wrote:
soxfan19 wrote:

If your goal is big law, you should retake, even if it means taking an additional year off. With a GPA that high, you will have a chance at Harvard if you score a 170+. Top 20 schools will also throw scholarship money at you. Remember there are only a limited number of big law positions and firms place immense weight on the "prestige" of the school. If you go to Vanderbilt, you will be rolling the dice and hoping you finish in the top 20%.

The way I have my schedule set up I plan to go full out on studying after this semester ends. I want to give myself the opportunity to be able to take the LSAT in February, June, September and December if they were needed. Like I mentioned earlier, I'm graduating next fall (Dec 17') so I still have a lot of time and will be applying in next year's cycle.

soxfan19

New

Postby soxfan19 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:01 pm

RamTitan wrote:For improving on RC, I recommend redoing passages over and over again. Once you've dissected a passage enough, the structure and how to answer questions in other passages will become apparent.

Yeah, that's going to be my plan of attack. I just struggled to get through the dense material in a timely manner while getting what I needed out of it.

marcusme

New

Postby marcusme » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:20 pm

soxfan19 wrote:
marcusme wrote:
soxfan19 wrote:

The way I have my schedule set up I plan to go full out on studying after this semester ends. I want to give myself the opportunity to be able to take the LSAT in February, June, September and December if they were needed. Like I mentioned earlier, I'm graduating next fall (Dec 17') so I still have a lot of time and will be applying in next year's cycle.

I would aim for the top 14, especially if you want big law. You would probably get into Cornell, Georgetown, or NW with your current stats, but improving your LSAT score 5+ points would open the door to many of the top 10. Vanderbilt and BU/BC should be your backups. They're excellent schools, but top 14 schools have far better employment opportunities. And when big law starting salary is 180k, the debt doesn't appear so daunting.

soxfan19

New

Postby soxfan19 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:24 pm

marcusme wrote:
soxfan19 wrote:
marcusme wrote:
soxfan19 wrote:

I would aim for the top 14, especially if you want big law. You would probably get into Cornell, Georgetown, or NW with your current stats, but improving your LSAT score 5+ points would open the door to many of the top 10. Vanderbilt and BU/BC should be your backups. They're excellent schools, but top 14 schools have far better employment opportunities. And when big law starting salary is 180k, the debt doesn't appear so daunting.

Well, if I get that +5 or so and get to the 170-172 range, where could I be looking at with scholarship money? Of course the 180k starting salary is great, but like you said limited jobs and I have to actually get one first

marcusme

New

Postby marcusme » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:02 pm

soxfan19 wrote:
marcusme wrote:
soxfan19 wrote:
marcusme wrote:
soxfan19 wrote:

Well, if I get that +5 or so and get to the 170-172 range, where could I be looking at with scholarship money? Of course the 180k starting salary is great, but like you said limited jobs and I have to actually get one first

I would say you would be looking at 2/3rd to full scholarship from a high ranked tier 1 school (not T14), and then maybe 1/4th to half scholarship from the lower T14s. If you want to go to a decent school for free, go to WUSTL. If you want the better employment prospects, go to the T14.

Return to “What are my chances??