3.9-3.92/167 chances at non-hys

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
etramak

Silver

3.9-3.92/167 chances at non-hys

Postby etramak » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:09 pm

These will pretty much be my final numbers, not sure if the discrepancy is enough to render me a supersplitter but the sample size at mylsn was small enough to make me come here. Mylsn pretty much said I have a decent-great shot at everything except HYS and Columbia/UPenn.

Seeing UChicago and NYU in green seemed too good to be true given the 167 LSAT. What are your thoughts?

No fantastic ECs at uni
non URM
solid internships for work experience...one legal related at a prestigious firm. Expecting to be a paralegal with this same firm for a year before applying.

etramak

Silver

Re: 3.9-3.92/167 chances at non-hys

Postby etramak » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:24 pm

Not sure this matters but I also have a second attempted lsat which I cancelled

barkschool

Silver

Postby barkschool » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:37 pm

why not retake and go to hys?

etramak

Silver

Postby etramak » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:50 pm

barkschool wrote:why not retake and go to hys?

There was a time when that was the dream and my preptests said it was attainable. But I've exhausted all the prep material and I never want to take the LSAT again.

Also forgot to mention: current uni is a top 30-40 private

barkschool

Silver

Postby barkschool » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:10 pm

etramak wrote:

There was a time when that was the dream and my preptests said it was attainable. But I've exhausted all the prep material and I never want to take the LSAT again.

Were you pretesting in the 170's?

I'm sure your current numbers put you in a good place at T14 schools, but it would be against good judgement to leave so much money on the table.

etramak

Silver

Postby etramak » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:20 pm

barkschool wrote:
etramak wrote:

I'm sure your current numbers put you in a good place at T14 schools, but it would be against good judgement to leave so much money on the table.

Yes. Low-mid 170s. I took the June lsat and anxiety caused me to get every question on an RC passage wrong, hence the 167. Tried to take it this morning and it was even worse. Had trouble understanding a lot of LR questions. Couldn't even begin to comprehend RC. Canceled mid-exam.

If a 167 can get me into somewhere like UChicago or NYU, or even UC Berkeley (am I a near lock for Berkeley at least?) I'm happy with it.

HYPSM

Bronze

Postby HYPSM » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:45 pm

etramak wrote:
barkschool wrote:
etramak wrote:

Yes. Low-mid 170s. I took the June lsat and anxiety caused me to get every question on an RC passage wrong, hence the 167. Tried to take it this morning and it was even worse. Had trouble understanding a lot of LR questions. Couldn't even begin to comprehend RC. Canceled mid-exam.

If a 167 can get me into somewhere like UChicago or NYU, or even UC Berkeley (am I a near lock for Berkeley at least?) I'm happy with it.

Sorry to hear about your LSAT experience; it's understandable.

Berkeley is too much of a black box for you to be a near lock; it's too unpredictable. I would urge an ED application somewhere if you have the money or to lower your target schools slightly. Definitely apply to CCN, though!!

P.S. May I ask how many PTs you've done? Your underperformance seems slightly unusual given your usual PT performance.

etramak

Silver

Postby etramak » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:55 pm

HYPSM wrote:
etramak wrote:
barkschool wrote:
etramak wrote:

Berkeley is too much of a black box for you to be a near lock; it's too unpredictable. I would urge an ED application somewhere if you have the money or to lower your target schools slightly. Definitely apply to CCN, though!!

P.S. May I ask how many PTs you've done? Your underperformance seems slightly unusual given your usual PT performance.

Every pt from 50-77, at least. Its just something about test day that does it I guess. Funny enough, as soon as I canceled my test and started to reread the RC passages this morning, they made much more sense.

Is Columbia really realistic with a 167? Its below the 25th. Would you at least say I'm a lock for top 12?

lymenheimer

Gold

Postby lymenheimer » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:36 pm

etramak wrote:Would you at least say I'm a lock for top 12?

Likely not. In my estimation, you're only guaranteed top 17/18, depending upon that .0X.

HYPSM

Bronze

Postby HYPSM » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:49 pm

etramak wrote:
HYPSM wrote:
etramak wrote:
barkschool wrote:
etramak wrote:

Every pt from 50-77, at least. Its just something about test day that does it I guess. Funny enough, as soon as I canceled my test and started to reread the RC passages this morning, they made much more sense.

Is Columbia really realistic with a 167? Its below the 25th. Would you at least say I'm a lock for top 12?

Columbia is out. However, definitely apply to NYU. You are near lock at Cornell and Georgetown. Refer to "MyLSN" below; I've put in your numbers for you:

http://mylsn.info/yragm9/

Good luck!

etramak

Silver

Postby etramak » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:11 pm

HYPSM wrote:
etramak wrote:
HYPSM wrote:
etramak wrote:
barkschool wrote:
etramak wrote:

Columbia is out. However, definitely apply to NYU. You are near lock at Cornell and Georgetown. Refer to "MyLSN" below; I've put in your numbers for you:

http://mylsn.info/yragm9/

Good luck!

Thanks. When I tried that the samples were much lower. Looks like I'd have to be really unlucky to get rejected from every single t12

RamTitan

Silver

Postby RamTitan » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:34 pm

I'm a big fan of recycling test material; that's how I was unable to really understand the LSAT. So, don't let that be a factor in stopping you from taking it again.

hangold

New

Postby hangold » Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:58 am

While I definitely empathize with your frustrations with the LSAT, I really think you should retake given your pre-testing performance. The anxiety may still be fresh and you might feel differently a month or two down the line. That being said, I feel like your current numbers would give you a decent shot at UMich or UVA.

pizzagoblin

Bronze

Postby pizzagoblin » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:26 pm

With a 167 and a 3.95, I've already been accepted into Duke and UVA. The highest-ranked school I applied to was UPenn (No. 7) because of location preferences, but I'm hoping for a pretty solid cycle with more T14 acceptances.

The biggest issue with these numbers, which I'm sure you realize, is that you'll get into some T14 schools with little aid and will also get high scholarships to schools right outside the T14, thus making you choose between prestige and money. I'm debating whether a T14 education with debt is more valuable than a near full-ride to lower-ranked schools. If you want to do big law (which I'm not sure I do), then you'll probably be safer with a T14. Just some food for thought when debating the retake question.

Also apply as early as you can. Like the first day apps open.

Return to “What are my chances??