Chances at NW?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
JDrat

Bronze

Chances at NW?

Postby JDrat » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:21 am

I am an Indian lawyer, looking to apply to US law schools this year. I have about 4 years experience practising law here, and also graduated top 10 of my law school here in India.

I am primarily looking at Chicago based colleges so I can be closer to my husband.

Realistically, what are my chances at NW with a 162 LSAT?

Any help would be much appreciated!

KunAgnis

Bronze

Re: Chances at NW?

Postby KunAgnis » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:42 am

Nayanthika wrote:I am an Indian lawyer, looking to apply to US law schools this year. I have about 4 years experience practising law here, and also graduated top 10 of my law school here in India.

I am primarily looking at Chicago based colleges so I can be closer to my husband.

Realistically, what are my chances at NW with a 162 LSAT?

Any help would be much appreciated!

I'm confused - you state that you've practiced in US which should mean you have a JD here already. Yet, if you're applying for an LLM with NU, they don't require an LSAT score (http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissi ... cklist.pdf), just a TOEFL or IELTS. If for some reason you need a JD, I do think that LSAT is quite low and so your chances would be bad unless you had a really high GPA. I think if you're going for a JD, you may want a higher LSAT score.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:49 am

Here = in India.

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:14 am

Are you planning on staying in the US to practice?

Also, have you talked with any admissions departments to see whether already having a legal degree is going to be an issue with applying to a non-LLM program?

freekick

Bronze

Postby freekick » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:06 am

cavalier1138 wrote:Are you planning on staying in the US to practice?

Also, have you talked with any admissions departments to see whether already having a legal degree is going to be an issue with applying to a non-LLM program?

Having a foreign law degree is not an issue for JD admission. There are plenty of foreign/Indian lawyers who have gone on to do the JD (and are working in the US). In fact, NW has a 2-year JD program (not the accelerated option) specifically meant for foreign lawyers. It comes down to 2 years through credit transfer for prior legal education. USC and WUSTL also have such programs. Several other schools allow credit transfer on a case-to-case basis and only after admission but they don't have a dedicated program. UChi allows LLMs to transfer to the JD without an LSAT score, but that is understandably difficult to pull off and is rare as a matter of fact.

Return to “What are my chances??