Decent Softs/ Bad GPA /Average LSAT /URM

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Lighthouse75

New

Decent Softs/ Bad GPA /Average LSAT /URM

Postby Lighthouse75 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:11 pm

I'm a 32yo gay AA male from GA who graduated with ~2.9 (science double major :Molecular Biology & Chemistry) with two years research experience, After undergrad I joined the Peace Corps for two years. I then finished a MS in applied economics from the University of Minnesota. I am currently a federal employee living in northern Virginia working for the Department of Health and Human Services in DC (for the past 2 years). I'm taking the LSAT this September but can't seem to get higher than a 155 on PT (I'm already planning on retaking in December). My plan is to do a part-time program in the area (GULC or GW). I know it's a long shot, but what do you all think?

tldr:

32 gay AA male
~2.9 ugpa (Molecular Biology & Chemistry double major)
Masters in Econ
Peace Corps
Federal employee (2 years WE)
~155 LSAT PT
Want GULC or GW part-time
Last edited by Lighthouse75 on Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cavalier1138

Gold

Re: Strong Softs/ Bad GPA /Average LSAT /URM

Postby cavalier1138 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:36 pm

First, your softs aren't as strong as you think. Not that I think you didn't do some awesome stuff, but they just aren't going to undo your numbers. Your URM status will help, though. And older students enjoy a bit less weight being put on the undergraduate GPA.

Assuming you score a 155 (this is all hypothetical until you have a real score), I'm guessing that GULC is out. GW is also likely out, but there's not much data for AA applicants in this score range on MyLSN.

That said, what do you plan on doing with your degree?

ponderingmeerkat

Gold

Re: Decent Softs/ Bad GPA /Average LSAT /URM

Postby ponderingmeerkat » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:01 pm

Hey dude...welcome to the board. Glad to have you.

Here's a good resource for hypothetical LSAT/GPA outcomes. mylsn.info

It's got a lot of data points so you can see the trends for people who have your numbers and fit your demographic.

Here's what you have right now (AA only, 153-157 LSAT range and 2.5-3.0 GPA). Not great. No one in the last six years has received an admit to Georgetown with those stats and only 1 out of 15 at GWU. Yikes. Looks like it's time for an LSAT retake to me.

Here's what you get with a low-160's score (which I imagine with your life experience and background is reasonably attainable with several months of dedicated work). Looks like someone who has decent work experience and life story might have a reasonable shot.

Good luck dude!

Lighthouse75

New

Postby Lighthouse75 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:15 am

Thanks for the info man, it's really appreciated! I'm taking the September test next Saturday and hopefully I'll pull a decent score. Do you know how representative of the schools those figures are? I'm fairly new to the process, so not sure how everything works. Do they gather info from schools or is all this self reported? I feel like they would have had way more people with my numbers apply between 2010-2016 even if they were denied. But thanks again, I honestly appreciate your feedback!

poptart123

Silver

Postby poptart123 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:19 am

Lighthouse75 wrote:Thanks for the info man, it's really appreciated! I'm taking the September test next Saturday and hopefully I'll pull a decent score. Do you know how representative of the schools those figures are? I'm fairly new to the process, so not sure how everything works. Do they gather info from schools or is all this self reported? I feel like they would have had way more people with my numbers apply between 2010-2016 even if they were denied. But thanks again, I honestly appreciate your feedback!

It's all self-reported data, so take it with a grain of salt, but it is the best predictor we currently have, especially for URMs. I suggest clicking on the individual schools and going to the profiles of the individuals who make up the data. That has helped me a lot as a URM.

Return to “What are my chances??