Texas Schools, 161/3.35 but Upward Trending GPA

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
rs17

New

Texas Schools, 161/3.35 but Upward Trending GPA

Postby rs17 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:48 pm

Howdy -

Looking at schools in Texas, primarily SMU or UH, maybe Baylor. Currently a 3.35 GPA, PoliSci @ TAMU, however its highly upward trending (4.0 over the last ~40 credit hours, rigorous schedules as well) - will probably graduate with a 3.45. LSAT 161, retaking in September, expecting 163-166. Not an URM, have moderate campus involvement, no job experience in college.

If I didn't improve past a 161, would anyone recommend waiting to apply until after my Fall grades come in with a 3.4+?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

cavalier1138

Gold

Re: Texas Schools, 161/3.35 but Upward Trending GPA

Postby cavalier1138 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:34 pm

If your GPA really is a full 0.1 higher, that might make a difference. But improving your LSAT score will be much more important.

And I feel like this gets said daily on here, but it bears repeating: no one cares about your upward trend. It's better than a downward trend, but the final number is all that matters.

BasilHallward

Silver

Postby BasilHallward » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:35 pm

rs17 wrote:Howdy -

Looking at schools in Texas, primarily SMU or UH, maybe Baylor. Currently a 3.35 GPA, PoliSci @ TAMU, however its highly upward trending (4.0 over the last ~40 credit hours, rigorous schedules as well) - will probably graduate with a 3.45. LSAT 161, retaking in September, expecting 163-166. Not an URM, have moderate campus involvement, no job experience in college.

If I didn't improve past a 161, would anyone recommend waiting to apply until after my Fall grades come in with a 3.4+?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Upward trend has extremely minimal to no affect. You will need above a 167 to have a "decent" shot to get into UT. You should shoot for UT. You're likely in at all the other schools, but kill the LSAT to get a free ride to SMU,UH, and Baylor.

p1921

Bronze

Postby p1921 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:15 pm

cavalier1138 wrote: no one cares about your upward trend. It's better than a downward trend, but the final number is all that matters.

There are plenty of threads on here about UT/SMU/UH/Baylor. A quick tl;dr is it depends where you want to practice and what you want to do. Want to practice in Dallas? Go to SMU. Want to practice in Houston? Go to UH. Unless you're positive you want to do litigation, don't go to Baylor. UT will be the best school for you if you want to stay in TX regardless of your geographic preference if you can get in, preferably with a scholarship.

Anecdotal, since I'm at SMU - don't come here unless you get a significant scholarship or have rich parents footing the bill. It's a fine school and there are a lot of opportunities in Dallas, but paying sticker and going into that much debt are NOT worth it.

PrezRand

Gold

Postby PrezRand » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:20 pm

p1921 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote: no one cares about your upward trend. It's better than a downward trend, but the final number is all that matters.

There are plenty of threads on here about UT/SMU/UH/Baylor. A quick tl;dr is it depends where you want to practice and what you want to do. Want to practice in Dallas? Go to SMU. Want to practice in Houston? Go to UH. Unless you're positive you want to do litigation, don't go to Baylor. UT will be the best school for you if you want to stay in TX regardless of your geographic preference if you can get in, preferably with a scholarship.

Anecdotal, since I'm at SMU - don't come here unless you get a significant scholarship or have rich parents footing the bill. It's a fine school and there are a lot of opportunities in Dallas, but paying sticker and going into that much debt are NOT worth it.

I hate to ask this, but why Dallas=SMU, UH=Houston?

lymenheimer

Gold

Postby lymenheimer » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:28 pm

PrezRand wrote:I hate to ask this, but why Dallas=SMU, UH=Houston?

SMU is in Dallas. UH is in Houston.

PrezRand

Gold

Postby PrezRand » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:52 pm

lymenheimer wrote:

Besides the obvious response

p1921

Bronze

Postby p1921 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:13 pm

PrezRand wrote:
lymenheimer wrote:

The obvious response is correct. Were you expecting something else?

PrezRand

Gold

Postby PrezRand » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:16 pm

p1921 wrote:
PrezRand wrote:
lymenheimer wrote:

Yes.

p1921

Bronze

Postby p1921 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:27 pm

PrezRand wrote:
p1921 wrote:
PrezRand wrote:
lymenheimer wrote:

Yes.

On the off chance you're not being sarcastic, here's an example. You go to UH. When you get to your 1L summer, chances are you try to get a summer clerkship in Houston because you're already paying rent on a place there and don't want to have to double dip or worry about subleasing, because that's a pain in the ass. Come OCI, you've "demonstrated ties" by working there the past summer, and (in a perfect world) get a 2L SA in Houston, which turns into a full time job in Houston. Or, you get a clerkship 2L to make some money and get experience. This continues through school, they like you, give you an offer after school. Boom, full time job in Houston. Over time, this becomes a trend as everyone notices that people going to UH generally get jobs in Houston.

This is obviously a simple example, and alone would not set this trend (it also assumes you didn't go to UH because you want to work in Houston - which you would have), but when at least 2/3 of the class follows this model, it does. It's the same reason people who want to work in Silicon Valley go to Stanford - they spend 3 years there to make connections and hopefully land a job after. Apply this to any other school/city combo you like.

PrezRand

Gold

Postby PrezRand » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:46 pm

p1921 wrote:
PrezRand wrote:
p1921 wrote:
PrezRand wrote:
lymenheimer wrote:

Yes.

On the off chance you're not being sarcastic, here's an example. You go to UH. When you get to your 1L summer, chances are you try to get a summer clerkship in Houston because you're already paying rent on a place there and don't want to have to double dip or worry about subleasing, because that's a pain in the ass. Come OCI, you've "demonstrated ties" by working there the past summer, and (in a perfect world) get a 2L SA in Houston, which turns into a full time job in Houston. Or, you get a clerkship 2L to make some money and get experience. This continues through school, they like you, give you an offer after school. Boom, full time job in Houston. Over time, this becomes a trend as everyone notices that people going to UH generally get jobs in Houston.

This is obviously a simple example, and alone would not set this trend (it also assumes you didn't go to UH because you want to work in Houston - which you would have), but when at least 2/3 of the class follows this model, it does. It's the same reason people who want to work in Silicon Valley go to Stanford - they spend 3 years there to make connections and hopefully land a job after. Apply this to any other school/city combo you like.

Meh so tje trend is the only reason? I'm only asking because I don't see why someone who maybe grew up in Dallas or Houston might not want to try out the other city and go to law school there. You open yourself up to another home market.

p1921

Bronze

Postby p1921 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:53 am

PrezRand wrote:
p1921 wrote:
PrezRand wrote:
p1921 wrote:
PrezRand wrote:
lymenheimer wrote:

Yes.

Meh so tje trend is the only reason? I'm only asking because I don't see why someone who maybe grew up in Dallas or Houston might not want to try out the other city and go to law school there. You open yourself up to another home market.

"Trend" was a bad choice of words on my part. It is not a trend, it is how the system is set up and how employers search for new associates. I'm sorry if you are unhappy about it. UH will have only a few (if any) Dallas firms at their OCI, and their career services office will be best acquainted with Houston firms. Ditto SMU with Houston firms. Can you go to SMU and end up with a job in Houston? Sure. But you are astronomically more likely to be able to find something in Dallas.

Return to “What are my chances??