Mixed-race Canadian, 3.85, 177 Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
cc268

New

Mixed-race Canadian, 3.85, 177

Post by cc268 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:41 am

i've been lurking the forums for a couple days, but this is my first post. I plan on submitting applications to the top 10 ranked schools in the U.S. As indicated by the title of the thread I have a 3.85 gpa, but it's from Dalhousie University, a lesser obscure public university in eastern Canada. I also scored a 177 on the lsat and am mixed-race, half korean and half black, would I still be considered to be an under represented minority even though i'm Canadian, or does it only apply to americans citizens ? I know that American schools put a lot more emphasis on the lsat relative to Canadian schools but will the fact that I went to dal hurt me in the admissions process since it's not at all prestigious ?
Last edited by cc268 on Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nachoo2019

Silver

Re: Mixed-race Canadian, 3.85, 177

Post by Nachoo2019 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:47 am

You would be considered a URM as a Black Canadian. Gongrats on the great LSAT score! Enjoy Harvard

cc268

New

Post by cc268 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:58 am

Nachoo2019 wrote:You would be considered a URM as a Black Canadian. Gongrats on the great LSAT score! Enjoy Harvard
Awesome! So you really think I have a good shot at Harvard Law?! :shock: Thanks, you made my day! :D

poptart123

Silver

Post by poptart123 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:04 am

Not a good chance at H-- a great chance.

Nachoo2019

Silver

Post by Nachoo2019 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:04 am

Yup. I would say that unless you screw up your apps royally you will be in at Harvard

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cc268

New

Post by cc268 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:16 pm

Nachoo2019 wrote:Yup. I would say that unless you screw up your apps royally you will be in at Harvard
poptart123 wrote:Not a good chance at H-- a great chance.
Wow, awesome, thanks! guys :) Do you guys think I have a chance at getting any good scholarships at any schools?

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:34 pm

Harvard here you come!

Nachoo2019

Silver

Post by Nachoo2019 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:41 pm

cc268 wrote:
Nachoo2019 wrote:Yup. I would say that unless you screw up your apps royally you will be in at Harvard
poptart123 wrote:Not a good chance at H-- a great chance.
Wow, awesome, thanks! guys :) Do you guys think I have a chance at getting any good scholarships at any schools?
You should have big money at CCN and full rides anywhere after that!

cc268

New

Post by cc268 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:42 pm

TheMikey wrote:Harvard here you come!

Thanks for the words of encouragement. When I told some friends of mine that I was going to apply to top American schools like Harvard and Yale they all laughed at me. They told me even if I had a 180, i'd still get rejected because the admissions committee had almost certainly heard of my school and that they only accept people who were undergrads at school like Harvard, Yale, Princeton, ect... If I am able to get in, I guess they won't the the ones laughing :lol: . Sorry if I sound vindictive, I am just relieved that my chances of getting into a top school are not completely futile as I have been led to believe ! :)
Last edited by cc268 on Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Nachoo2019

Silver

Post by Nachoo2019 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:44 pm

cc268 wrote:

Thanks for the words of encouragement. When I told some friends of mine that I was going to apply to top American schools like Harvard and Yale they all laughed at me. They told me even if I had a 180, i'd still get rejected because the admissions committee had almost certainly heard of my school. So if I am able to get in, I guess they won't the the ones laughing :lol: . Sorry if I sound vindictive, I am just relieved that my chances of getting into a top school are not completely futile as I have been led to believe ! :)
They won't care about your school! They only have to report the GPA not the university that you went to. Your UG degree largely means nothing as long as you have that GPA

cc268

New

Post by cc268 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:48 pm

Nachoo2019 wrote:
cc268 wrote:

Thanks for the words of encouragement. When I told some friends of mine that I was going to apply to top American schools like Harvard and Yale they all laughed at me. They told me even if I had a 180, i'd still get rejected because the admissions committee had almost certainly heard of my school. So if I am able to get in, I guess they won't the the ones laughing :lol: . Sorry if I sound vindictive, I am just relieved that my chances of getting into a top school are not completely futile as I have been led to believe ! :)
They won't care about your school! They only have to report the GPA not the university that you went to. Your UG degree largely means nothing as long as you have that GPA
Thanks good to know :). I'm really glad I found this forum, had I not I would have just gotten discouraged from what I've been told by friends and some of my profs who have explicitly said or implied that I was "reaching to high", this is a complete game changer :) You guys have all made my day :)

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:50 pm

cc268 wrote:

Thanks for the words of encouragement. When I told some friends of mine that I was going to apply to top American schools like Harvard and Yale they all laughed at me. They told me even if I had a 180, i'd still get rejected because the admissions committee had almost certainly heard of my school and that they only accept people who were undergrads at school like Harvard, Yale, Princeton, ect... If I am able to get in, I guess they won't the the ones laughing :lol: . Sorry if I sound vindictive, I am just relieved that my chances of getting into a top school are not completely futile as I have been led to believe ! :)
Just like Nachoo said, law schools really don't care about what school you went to seeing as law school is basically a numbers game, and your numbers are really good! You have a really good chance at Harvard, as well as a really good chance at some sweet money at the rest of the T14!

Here are some stats on people with numbers similar to yours, and this is WITHOUT the URM boost you will be receiving so keep that in mind! :D

TAD

Bronze

Post by TAD » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:04 pm

cc268 wrote:

Lol not vindictive at all. My LSAT lower and gpa higher and I had the same reactions from people at my Canadian school but here I've got people telling me I have a strong chance at Harvard and I'm a black Canadian. There's also black Canadians with lower gpa and LSAT than you that have gotten into Harvard.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

earthabides

Bronze

Post by earthabides » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:19 pm

cc268 wrote:

I went to a Canadian school only slightly more well known then dal, had a lower lsat score, lower gpa, and am white. I got into H so im sure you will.

cc268

New

Post by cc268 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:48 am

TAD wrote: Lol not vindictive at all. My LSAT lower and gpa higher and I had the same reactions from people at my Canadian school but here I've got people telling me I have a strong chance at Harvard and I'm a black Canadian. There's also black Canadians with lower gpa and LSAT than you that have gotten into Harvard.
Haha, so you've felt my pain brother! It's crazy how unsupportive and pessimistic people can be. Bet you were also relieved when you found out you had a strong chance at harvard :P . Good luck with your applications man!

earthabides wrote: I went to a Canadian school only slightly more well known then dal, had a lower lsat score, lower gpa, and am white. I got into H so im sure you will.
Thanks for the reassurance!

cc268

New

Post by cc268 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:53 am

TheMikey wrote:
Here are some stats on people with numbers similar to yours, and this is WITHOUT the URM boost you will be receiving so keep that in mind! :D
Thanks for the stats tables, I reckon that since I would be getting the URM boost that my chances would be even greater! This has made everything much more clearer, thanks again!

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:09 am

cc268 wrote:
TheMikey wrote:
Thanks for the stats tables, I reckon that since I would be getting the URM boost that my chances would be even greater! This has made everything much more clearer, thanks again!
No problem! Yeah, your URM boost should give you a good boost, but even without it your chances are great. Congrats on having a dope LSAT score!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:40 am

cc268 wrote:i've been lurking the forums for a couple days, but this is my first post. I plan on submitting applications to the top 10 ranked schools in the U.S. As indicated by the title of the thread I have a 3.85 gpa, but it's from Dalhousie University, a lesser obscure public university in eastern Canada. I also scored a 177 on the lsat and am mixed-race, half korean and half black, would I still be considered to be an under represented minority even though i'm Canadian, or does it only apply to americans citizens ? I know that American schools put a lot more emphasis on the lsat relative to Canadian schools but will the fact that I went to dal hurt me in the admissions process since it's not at all prestigious ?
Jeez, with your numbers + background, Harvard should be paying a $100 fee and applying to have you come haha

TAD

Bronze

Post by TAD » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:01 am

Haha so relieved. And Ye but you just gotta show em wrong with that acceptance letter. And thanks man good luck with your applications too.

ForumCommissar

New

Post by ForumCommissar » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:40 pm

That LSAT alone is enough to get you places. Combined with your GPA and URM status the world is your oyster.

euler

New

Post by euler » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:32 am

You have really great numbers! Try not to doze off for 6 months and you'll be fine :D !

GFox345

Bronze

Post by GFox345 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:25 pm

You will get into Harvard on down and have a decent shot at Yale. However, you will also get into schools like Columbia, Chicago, NYU, Penn, Michigan, UVA, and so on. These schools will offer you SIGNIFICANT amounts of money to attend. I am at Michigan right now, and with your numbers you would be a shoo-in for a Darrow or an enormous Dean's Scholarship up to and including full tuition plus a stipend. I don't imagine your outcomes would be very different at other schools ranked similarly or better than Michigan. If you play your cards right, and maybe pick up a part-time job during school, you have the opportunity to graduate with no debt at all. I would urge you to strongly consider taking one of these options over YHS. There is NO universe in which graduating from Chicago with NO debt is not a better outcome than graduating from Yale with $300k in debt. Take the SLIGHT prestige hit in exchange for going to school for free. Paying $2500 a month until you are 50 sucks no matter how prestigious your law school education was. For the vast majority of graduates, there is no practical difference between Yale and Chicago. And based on Yale's reputation, you'll be a better attorney in practice for going to another school. Don't fall for it.

TL;DR: Unless you get significant need based aid or your parents/family can pay out of pocket, be smart and go to CCNMVP for free over YHS for sticker.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”