AA, 4.03, 170

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
mofejeun

New

AA, 4.03, 170

Postby mofejeun » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:43 am

Chances at HYS? (my lsn had small sample size)
Chances at half to full ride at CCN?
Chances at using lower T-14 scholly to negotiate CCN into close to full ride if not full ride?

Thanks!

HLSstudent

New

Re: AA, 4.03, 170

Postby HLSstudent » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:02 am

mofejeun wrote:Chances at HYS? (my lsn had small sample size)

Good enough that it is worth applying. Prob. in at HS, a chance at Y
mofejeun wrote:Chances at half to full ride at CCN?

Worth applying regardless. Half to full rides are a crapshoot with CCN. Good numbers + URM may get one but don't guarantee it.
mofejeun wrote:Chances at using lower T-14 scholly to negotiate CCN into close to full ride if not full ride?

Likely won't work for Columbia, may work for Chicago, unsure if NYU negotiates.

runinthefront

Gold

Postby runinthefront » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:27 am

You are a lock for basically everywhere, regardless of softs. Can't speak to scholarship opportunities, though.
Last edited by runinthefront on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

PrezRand

Gold

Postby PrezRand » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:35 am

runinthefront wrote:You are a lock for basically everywhere, regardless of softs. Can't speak to scholarship opportunities, though.

jelufowoju

New

Postby jelufowoju » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:51 am

You're a lock for Harvard and Stanford, Yale a bit harder to predict, they've rejected AA's with 4.0+ and 170 + LSAT scores in the past but they don't seem to do so often so you have a great chance there. You'll get fullrides at several lower T-14, and good money at CCN. Congrats.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:22 am

Enjoy Harvard

mofejeun

New

Postby mofejeun » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:17 pm

So is it not worth it to retake and try and boost my chances at a hammy or ruby? I still got two retakes left.

Thanks for all the responses so far tho.

USayinBoalt

Gold

Postby USayinBoalt » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:36 pm

mofejeun wrote:So is it not worth it to retake and try and boost my chances at a hammy or ruby? I still got two retakes left.

Thanks for all the responses so far tho.

If you think you can score higher then of course you can retake if you want. The numbers you have are most likely good enough for admission, but if you want more merit aid then a higher LSAT wouldn't hurt at all

cdotson2

Silver

Postby cdotson2 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:08 pm

Retaking and scoring higher won't hurt you, but it has diminishing returns. If you want to go to YHS there is very minimal benefit in retaking as they offer no merit aid. A higher score will probably help for a Ruby of Hamy, however, these awards are often far more idiosyncratic then admissions results which are hard to predict themselves.

Numbers are a very important minimal threshold for admittance into the top schools, however on tls we over-estimate the notion that they are by themselves sufficient to guarantee admission. As a PR/Cuban URM with a 170 3.7x I got into S and H but was wait listed at ccn, UVA, and rejected at michigan. This also wasn't unusual, other people(on tls and that I have talked with in person) with better or similar numbers both urm and not got into good schools and got waitlisted at peer schools or randomly rejected from lower ranked schools. TLS likes to label all of this as yield protect, that you were just too good of an applicant and that's why they turned you down, and maybe this happens sometimes, but it seems like too simple of an explanation to really explain the results I and others have had in their cycles. My personal theory is that after the minimal threshold for numbers has been met and the school feels comfortable that they will meet their medians they have profiles of students they look for. School's try to get a diverse student body not just in terms of race, but also job experience, educational experience(both years and institutions), geographical diversity, and any other category you could conceivably think of. This means that if they have already accepted a similar student to you and don't need your numbers(which because they don't rely on averages but medians numbers above 50th and 75ths don't add that much benefit) then they have no pressure to accept you even if you are above both of their medians.

All of this is to say you are in an amazing position, waiting to apply to retake might yield amazing benefits if you want to attend a t-14 for free(or it might not because the process is idiosyncratic), but if you would rather go to HYS then waiting will probably not add any benefit and will only add the stress of retaking and diminish any benefit in applying early. As far as improving numbers for admissions there is only a very small level in which you can improve and unless you regularly scored in the 175's before this take and a 170 was a disappointment there is probably no need to put in the necessary work to get a higher score.

mofejeun

New

Postby mofejeun » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:46 pm

cdotson2 wrote:Retaking and scoring higher won't hurt you, but it has diminishing returns. If you want to go to YHS there is very minimal benefit in retaking as they offer no merit aid. A higher score will probably help for a Ruby of Hamy, however, these awards are often far more idiosyncratic then admissions results which are hard to predict themselves.

Numbers are a very important minimal threshold for admittance into the top schools, however on tls we over-estimate the notion that they are by themselves sufficient to guarantee admission. As a PR/Cuban URM with a 170 3.7x I got into S and H but was wait listed at ccn, UVA, and rejected at michigan. This also wasn't unusual, other people(on tls and that I have talked with in person) with better or similar numbers both urm and not got into good schools and got waitlisted at peer schools or randomly rejected from lower ranked schools. TLS likes to label all of this as yield protect, that you were just too good of an applicant and that's why they turned you down, and maybe this happens sometimes, but it seems like too simple of an explanation to really explain the results I and others have had in their cycles. My personal theory is that after the minimal threshold for numbers has been met and the school feels comfortable that they will meet their medians they have profiles of students they look for. School's try to get a diverse student body not just in terms of race, but also job experience, educational experience(both years and institutions), geographical diversity, and any other category you could conceivably think of. This means that if they have already accepted a similar student to you and don't need your numbers(which because they don't rely on averages but medians numbers above 50th and 75ths don't add that much benefit) then they have no pressure to accept you even if you are above both of their medians.

All of this is to say you are in an amazing position, waiting to apply to retake might yield amazing benefits if you want to attend a t-14 for free(or it might not because the process is idiosyncratic), but if you would rather go to HYS then waiting will probably not add any benefit and will only add the stress of retaking and diminish any benefit in applying early. As far as improving numbers for admissions there is only a very small level in which you can improve and unless you regularly scored in the 175's before this take and a 170 was a disappointment there is probably no need to put in the necessary work to get a higher score.

Wow. Thanks for the very detailed response. Honestly my first choice has always been Harvard and Stanford but then I found this forum and all the debt talk and taking the full ride started scaring me into wanting to retake. I was just barely pulling above 170 on practice tests and i had about a 20 point jump from diagnostic so getting higher is unlikely, though possible, so I was just considering. But honestly, based on all the response, and the fact that I haven't been studying much for a retake and would have to take in december if I did, I will probably just apply and hope for the best. Thanks again.

Oh and the fact that you were waitlisted at all of CCN is highly surprising. Was there anything on your application that indicated you would pick HYS over them?

Return to “What are my chances??