2.92 GPA 163 LSAT

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
JDH2277

New

2.92 GPA 163 LSAT

Postby JDH2277 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:09 am

Hi everyone. I'm new to this site and was hoping to get some feedback on my chances of admission at a few schools. I took the LSAT in June and got a 163. My LSAC GPA is 2.92...Degree GPA is 3.08. There is a significant upward trend with my GPA that I plan to point out in an addendum. Excluding my freshman year, I have a degree GPA of 3.667. I'm quite involved around campus and have had multiple jobs/internships. I'm not fully committed to one specific area of law just yet, although Intellectual Property is the frontrunner at the moment. I'm from West Virginia, and went to WVU for my undergrad. Geographically, there's not a particular area of the country I'm looking to live in. I care more about the size and general vibe of the whatever city I end up in. I would like to end up working in a more metropolitan area, but not necessarily an overwhelmingly huge city like New York or LA. I think that preference is reflected in my list of schools. I won't mind going to law school in a smaller town if that school leads to job prospects in larger markets. I really would like to get out of West Virgina, but will still be applying there due to family and friends ect.. Below is a list of schools that I'm considering applying to listed in a rough order of what I believe is least likely to most likely. I'd greatly appreciate it if anyone could shed some light on my likelihood of admissions to these schools. Any other useful information is also welcome.

William & Mary
Ohio State
Boston College
UNC
Wake Forest
University of Colorado-Boulder
Washington & Lee
University of Tennessee
University of Cincinnati
University of South Carolina
West Virginia University

P.S... I've run my numbers through mylsn and law school predictor. I'm a splitter at basically all of these schools, but obviously a more favorable splitter at some than others.

cavalier1138

Gold

Re: 2.92 GPA 163 LSAT

Postby cavalier1138 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:46 am

I know very little about IP law, and I know that rankings for schools start to get a little funky when you consider their IP programs (for example, I think GW is known for having a good one, despite being a bad choice for most other types of high-level practice). So do your due diligence on looking at that aspect of the schools you're applying to.

That said, you need to start accepting that your GPA is 2.92. It's not 2.92 with an addendum. It's not 2.92 but really a 3.6 if you look at the degree GPA. It's 2.92. Which means that your LSAT is going to be what gets you in.

Most importantly, though, you seem to be under the impression that you can go to a "law school in a smaller town" that "leads to job prospects in larger markets". That is not how it works. Your school determines the state you work in, and the lower you go in the rankings, it determines the county you work in. You are not going to go to WVU and end up in a metropolitan area (unless there's somewhere in WV that you consider metropolitan). So although you seem ambivalent about where you want to end up, you should actually be focusing on that if you aren't going to retake the LSAT to improve your options. Everyone says they don't care about where they live until they actually face the prospect of staying somewhere for a decade or two.

raven1231

Bronze

Postby raven1231 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:56 am

OSU and UC without a doubt

JDH2277

New

Postby JDH2277 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:57 am

cavalier1138 wrote:I know very little about IP law, and I know that rankings for schools start to get a little funky when you consider their IP programs (for example, I think GW is known for having a good one, despite being a bad choice for most other types of high-level practice). So do your due diligence on looking at that aspect of the schools you're applying to.

That said, you need to start accepting that your GPA is 2.92. It's not 2.92 with an addendum. It's not 2.92 but really a 3.6 if you look at the degree GPA. It's 2.92. Which means that your LSAT is going to be what gets you in.

Most importantly, though, you seem to be under the impression that you can go to a "law school in a smaller town" that "leads to job prospects in larger markets". That is not how it works. Your school determines the state you work in, and the lower you go in the rankings, it determines the county you work in. You are not going to go to WVU and end up in a metropolitan area (unless there's somewhere in WV that you consider metropolitan). So although you seem ambivalent about where you want to end up, you should actually be focusing on that if you aren't going to retake the LSAT to improve your options. Everyone says they don't care about where they live until they actually face the prospect of staying somewhere for a decade or two.

I completely understand what you're saying. I get that my GPA is definitively 2.92. However, for the sake of being comprehensive, I felt that those other factors were worth mentioning. Furthermore, my original post may have came off as more ambivalent than I intended. I didn't mean to seem as if I'm fine just going anywhere in the country. My list of schools is concentrated on or along the east coast, excluding Colorado. Regarding my comment about small towns and larger markets, I was primarily referring to Washington & Lee. They are in the very small town of Lexington, Va, but it seems that they send graduates to places like Richmond and D.C. area on a somewhat consistent basis.

JDH2277

New

Postby JDH2277 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:02 am

raven1231 wrote:OSU and UC without a doubt

Sorry, I'm not sure I understand. "Without a doubt" as in I should get in?

raven1231

Bronze

Postby raven1231 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:37 pm

JDH2277 wrote:
raven1231 wrote:OSU and UC without a doubt

Sorry, I'm not sure I understand. "Without a doubt" as in I should get in?

Unless you have some glaring issue then yes you should. I had similar numbers with a slightly higher GPA 3.2 and got into both with substantial scholarship money.

Creasey

New

Postby Creasey » Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:29 am

BC? No chance.

crumb cake

Bronze

Postby crumb cake » Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:28 pm

You need to retake the LSAT.

guynourmin

Gold

Postby guynourmin » Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:17 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:Most importantly, though, you seem to be under the impression that you can go to a "law school in a smaller town" that "leads to job prospects in larger markets". That is not how it works.

I know there's a law school in a little town called Champaign, and another in South Bend, that both do pretty well in Chicago............

grades??

Silver

Postby grades?? » Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:46 pm

guybourdin wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:Most importantly, though, you seem to be under the impression that you can go to a "law school in a smaller town" that "leads to job prospects in larger markets". That is not how it works.

I know there's a law school in a little town called Champaign, and another in South Bend, that both do pretty well in Chicago............

What's pretty well? The top 30% of their class? Plus op wont get into either with these numbers.

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:00 am

grades?? wrote:
guybourdin wrote:

What's pretty well? The top 30% of their class? Plus op wont get into either with these numbers.

Yeah, Chicago doesn't have as big a market as NY, and they have a lot of schools servicing it. I'm not saying you couldn't get to a good firm job in Chicago from UIUC, but you'd have be at the top of the class (and in the OP's case, you'd have to get in, period). And Indiana could also get you there, but again, why put yourself in the position of needing to place in the top third of the class to be able to practice where you want to live? If your goal was to work any legal job in Chicago, for example, then you might be better served by going to Loyola or DePaul, which would at least give you the chance to set up strong ties and networking in the city.

The lower a school's rank is, the more local its reach is. T14 schools are the only ones that really have any national reach, and the T20 are the only "super-regional" schools. Everything else involves staying in-state, in-part-of-state, or in-town.

SixSigma

New

Postby SixSigma » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:28 am

JDH2277 wrote:I'd greatly appreciate it if anyone could shed some light on my likelihood of admissions to these schools.

Reference image: HERE

Retake the LSAT.

Return to “What are my chances??