Non-traditional 172, should I even send out applications?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
green-wood

New

Non-traditional 172, should I even send out applications?

Postby green-wood » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:03 am

Ok, first let me just thank anyone who will give me advice on my situation. Right now I'm very confused about what I should do given my situation and a part of me says maybe I shouldn't send out applications.

I'm a non-traditional URM (AA) student who started college VERY late. I've worked ever since high school in the same job which translates to 10 years in a non-profit organization which serves people with developmental disabilities. I'll be graduating this coming Spring from Thomas Edison State. 75% or more of my degree will have been done through evaluations that grant credits but not grades. I scored 172 on the June LSAT which would be really good under most circumstances but I honestly think I would have to score 175+ to have schools not put so much weight on my non-traditional/non-rigorous school background. I could retake in September but I gave it everything I had to get that 172 and have no faith I could do better.

How should I proceed? Should I just throw out a bunch of apps and see what results I get? The $800 I would have to pay to apply to schools I'm interested in would definitely be missed. Or should I just forget about Law school and finish working on getting my teaching certificate?

I don't know what to do, please help lol
Last edited by green-wood on Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

mukol

Bronze

Re: Non-traditional 172, should I even send out applications?

Postby mukol » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:40 am

Don't forget about application fee waivers which cuts it to $35 or so per school to apply. Also, depending on your income you might qualify for the LSAC waiver which covers I think 4 of the lsac app fees so appa to 4 schools would be free.

I won't speak to anything else, maybe others will.

ek5dn

Bronze

Postby ek5dn » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:53 am

green-wood wrote:Ok, first let me just thank anyone who will give me advice on my situation. Right now I'm very confused about what I should do given my situation and a part of me says maybe I shouldn't send out applications.

I'm a non-traditional URM (AA) student who started college VERY late. I've worked ever since high school in the same job which translates to 10 years in a non-profit organization which serves people with developmental disabilities. I'll be graduating this coming Spring from Thomas Edison State. 75% or more of my degree will have been done through evaluations that grant credits but not grades. I scored 172 on the June LSAT which would be really good under most circumstances but I honestly think I would have to score 175+ to have schools not put so much weight on my non-traditional/un-rigorous school background. I could retake in September but I gave it everything I had to get that 172 and have no faith I could do better.

How should I proceed? Should I just throw out a bunch of apps and see what results I get? The $800 I would have to pay to apply to schools I'm interested in would definitely be missed. Or should I just forget about Law school and finish working on getting my teaching certificate?

I don't know what to do, please help lol

I know you said that most of your degree is earned via evaluations that grant credits but not grades, but what about the courses you took that did give you a grade? Did you do well? Do you have a GPA at all?

If you have a legitimate reason for your non-rigorous education background (ie, had to work to support family, etc.) and you're confident that you can explain it in an addendum, then I don't think this should bar you from consideration

172 is a good score, and unless your GPA is terrible, I think you have a chance.

GoneSouth

Bronze

Postby GoneSouth » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:18 am

It's hard to predict exactly what results you'll get, but I have to think that with how desperate schools are for good students, somebody (and likely a number of schools) will snap up a URM 172 LSAT. Slight chance that a T14 would, but I'd guess some Tier 1 schools will, especially if you have a good explanation.

Return to “What are my chances??