173 / 3.05 GWU ED Full Tuition Chances?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
PDX4343

Silver

173 / 3.05 GWU ED Full Tuition Chances?

Postby PDX4343 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:46 am

Hey all,

I'm considering applying ED to George Washington University through their full tuition scholarship option with the above stats. Wondering --

A) What would my chances of getting it be?
B) Would this be worth doing even if it meant forgoing a chance at the T-14?

I'm interested in this because I'm interested in attending law school / practicing in the D.C. area. I'm also thinking that even if I do get in somewhere like NU or UVA, I'd probably have to pay close to sticker. I'm not really tied to the idea of big law after school, so getting a full tuition scholarship somewhere would be a great way to have some increased flexibility after I graduate.

I'll also be splitting living costs with my girlfriend, so the total COA for me with a full tuition scholarship would probably be for sure under 50k.

Anyways, just wondering if anyone else thinks this might be a good option for me. Thanks.

PrezRand

Gold

Re: 173 / 3.05 GWU ED Full Tuition Chances?

Postby PrezRand » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:23 am

A) Idk
B) No, unless you really want to go to GWU.

Other posters could probably give you a better answer than me, but you should probably check out the GWU Law placements and see if they are consistent with what you want.

Lexaholik

Bronze

Postby Lexaholik » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:48 am

A. Not sure. I didn't see any GW ED data for applicants with your numbers. You'll probably get in but it doesn't seem obvious that you'll get a full tuition scholarship.

B. Probably. If you're not interested in Biglaw, GW at full scholarship is better than lower T14 at sticker. This is especially true if you know 100% that you want to remain in DC. Having said that, life plans change. For example, will you be OK with living in DC and not doing Biglaw if you and your GF broke up? Will you be OK that you gave up a chance at that $180,000 a year job for a partial scholarship at GW?

grades??

Silver

Postby grades?? » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:57 am

highly unlikely. the one person I know who got the full tuition from ED there was a 3.95/ 170

ILoveYou

Silver

Postby ILoveYou » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:04 am

I don't think it's particularly likely that you'd get the ED, but even if you did I'm not sure it's the best option (almost certainly better than sticker at a T14 if you don't want biglaw, though). Practicing in the DC area could mean a lot of different things that all look pretty different--what outcome are you looking for? It would be easier to assess possibilities out of GW with & without ED if we knew what your goals are.

Full disclosure: I got in ED at GW several cycles ago and ultimately decided to turn it down.

RamTitan

Silver

Postby RamTitan » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:08 pm

ILoveYou wrote:Full disclosure: I got in ED at GW several cycles ago and ultimately decided to turn it down.

How can you turn down early decision? I thought you had to go if you applied ED?

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:40 pm

RamTitan wrote:
ILoveYou wrote:Full disclosure: I got in ED at GW several cycles ago and ultimately decided to turn it down.

How can you turn down early decision? I thought you had to go if you applied ED?

You can decide to not attend. You just can't decide to attend a different school for that academic year.

Return to “What are my chances??