40, faced adversity over the last 7yrs...always was interested in law school Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Need Help

New

40, faced adversity over the last 7yrs...always was interested in law school

Post by Need Help » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:44 pm

Please help
What are my chances
Work in corporate America
Mba finance since the 90's
Long working history
Active public servant - extremely active in community service. On local boards ETC...
Afraid that I am not a good tester......

Want to switch careers, stay in the NYC/NJ area

What should I do.....

My hiccup is passing the LSAT, and getting lots of scholarships as I can not afford the 150k debt.

Anyone I can speak to for some great advice?

Where do I start? I need help. Studying, passing the LSAT... What date to take etc etc

PLEASE HELP

emkay625

Gold

Re: 40, faced adversity over the last 7yrs...always was interested in law school

Post by emkay625 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:00 pm

Hello there!

To begin, no one can say your chances without more information. LSAT score and undergraduate GPA are the two most important factors (by a mile) in law school admissions. Your MBA and work experience will be looked upon favorably, but neither will help you overcome a GPA or LSAT score that is significantly lower than a school's median numbers. What was your undergraduate GPA?

The first step for you would be to take a diagnostic LSAT. The LSAC (the organization responsible for the LSAT and the law school admissions process) has a test online that you can print and take. Make sure you take it under timed conditions so you get an accurate picture of where you're starting from. Here's the link: http://www.lsac.org/docs/default-source ... ptjune.pdf

Don't be discouraged if you score poorly. Many people improve their score 10 or even 20 points with substantial studying. Once you've taken a diagnostic, it will be easier for us to recommend a study plan for you. Many people on this site have posted good study guides in the LSAT forum, so you may want to browse around there. This is a very popular study plan that a lot of people have utilized: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... hp?t=41657

Finally, make sure you know what you are going into. You state that you are not a very good test taker. The majority of classes in law school will base your entire grade on one test given at the end of the semester. If you're worried about that sort of situation, law school might not be the best fit for you. But if what you struggle with is normal test anxiety, utilize resources and practice exams to overcome that and you should be okay.

Hope this helps!

Need Help

New

Re: 40, faced adversity over the last 7yrs...always was interested in law school

Post by Need Help » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:10 pm

Thanks Emkay625 for your prompt response.
Been out of undergrad since I was 20 so I guess talking about my gpa is far fetched. Lol
Gpa was a 3.4 in undergrad... Grad school Maybe around 3.1sh/3.2
Not being a good tester meant on standardized testing.
Not classroom testing.
Thanks for all of the info..... Will read in detail and get on the grind.
Will take your suggestion and start on the diagnostic.
Need to set up a system and focus on this as I TRULY want to do this.
Hope to score on this test and get scholarships.
Just need all of the help and advice I can get.

Beating myself up as I should Hv done this immediately after my first layoff 7 years ago..... Now look still taking about it seven yes later.

What a bummer.

Trying to stay focused and do this.

Praying I can get into a school in NYC so I don't Hv to leave.
Last edited by Need Help on Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

caitlinrw

Bronze

Post by caitlinrw » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:45 pm

Hi! A lot of people on here are going to tell you that you shouldn't go to school and to stick with your job, but I commend you for going for what you want, life is too short!

There isn't much to be done about your GPA at this point (if you're serious, you should send in your transcripts to LSAC so that you can have a better idea of what your LSDAS recalculated GPA will be). Therefore, like the above poster said, your main focus should definitely be preparing for the LSAT. Don't be deterred by the initial diagnostic; I took a prep class and went up 18 points, because it really is about how much you want it, and what your motivation is. Therefore, this is where you can make the difference between scholarships and being close to debt free. I'm not sure what schools you are looking at in your area, but to look at a really good scholarship that will not leave you debt riddled, you should definitely be shooting for above a 170, whether you are a URM or not. It seems impossible, but like a lot of people will tell you, it depends on your level of dedication. If a class is not feasible then there are a lot of study tips on this forum if you look in the right places. If you're looking to start in Fall 2017, I would say ideally you would want to start preparing for the December LSAT, and the February LSAT would be your last chance, unless the school of your choice would accept the June one. Worst case scenario, you could take a year to study and truly do your best, and simply apply for the Fall 2018 application cycle.

No one can give you the best course of advice for you because you know the situation better than us, but the more info you can provide the more support you will receive. I wish you luck and hope that everything works out for you!

Need Help

New

Post by Need Help » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:11 pm

Thanks Caitlin RW
You are right majority of my acquaintances are attorneys and they all Hv said they will never do it again.
Duke, Stamford, Georgetown, Yale, nylaw, seton hall...Go figure.
All work in corporate law, banking, governance, Asst general counsels
But you can see I am not asking for advise from them
All faced the same adversity I faced with layoffs after layoffs during the economic downturn
Diff is I am in a very fickle industry and need out. Been temp off and off for 7yrs.... Could Hv gone to school all of these years....

Either way, I am here now and I am focused on what is ahead of me. Yes, still a contract employee as well.
Keep hearing you are overqualified..... Too senior.

Will reach out to my school for transcripts.... Lord same do long ago... Undergrad at 16 out at 20, grad at 21.5. I should have done it then..... So longggggggg ago.

Yes, at this point fall 2017 is what I am looking at....nyu, Columbia, Brooklyn law, Fordham law or anything I can get into but nyu and columbia will be my top choices as I feel like Yale will be way out of reach for me.... But will stay optimistic.......

But will keep asking for help.

If anyone on here is in the NYC area, please let me know and we can speak live....

Or anyone in my shoes and want to partner and start this journey together, I am all for it.

I am grateful to all for taking the time to provide feedback
Last edited by Need Help on Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Need Help

New

Post by Need Help » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:18 pm

Also at this early stage, would it make a diff to reach out to a any of these schools to speak to advisors admissions folks to start building a relationship and showing interest. Not sure if any of the schools I mentioned has any kind of or sort of information sessions. All the schools having events are out of state. Washington law etc......
Last edited by Need Help on Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:24 am

At this stage, the only thing you need to be focused on is your LSAT. All the networking in the world won't help you get into Columbia or NYU if you can't break 170.

Need Help

New

Post by Need Help » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:41 am

Good Morming cav* 1138,

Hear you loud and clear..... Need to get with the program on this and buckle down and start studying......

Appreciate you......

RamTitan

Silver

Post by RamTitan » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:05 pm

Need Help wrote:Thanks Emkay625 for your prompt response.
Been out of undergrad since I was 20 so I guess talking about my gpa is far fetched. Lol
Gpa was a 3.4 in undergrad... Grad school Maybe around 3.1sh/3.2
Not being a good tester meant on standardized testing.
Not classroom testing.
Thanks for all of the info..... Will read in detail and get on the grind.
Will take your suggestion and start on the diagnostic.
Need to set up a system and focus on this as I TRULY want to do this.
Hope to score on this test and get scholarships.
Just need all of the help and advice I can get.

Beating myself up as I should Hv done this immediately after my first layoff 7 years ago..... Now look still taking about it seven yes later.

What a bummer.

Trying to stay focused and do this.

Praying I can get into a school in NYC so I don't Hv to leave.
I improved 23 points on my diagnostic (and am still improving); this was after an entire collegiate career without taking a test of this kind whatsoever. Basically, if you put in the time, you'll see the rewards. Since you work full-time, I suggest studying 10 hours a week for a year/sit for the June 2017 LSAT, and apply next fall.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Need Help

New

Post by Need Help » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:15 pm

Thanks Ramtitan,

Currently temp/contract employee. actively seeking employment. Using my time wisely to focused to get this going. and yes, I have really just started this process.
Had two books that I just cracked open to at least give my self a jump start - lsat for dummies and a barrons passkey book that I bought from barnes and noble.

after I go through those just to even see what it is all about, I will take a stab at the diagnostic.

Again I am very appreciative to all. Just need to change industry and get out of this rut and go into something that I am passionate about and have been since I rcvd my MBA but life took over and here I am BUT not an excuse.......

I am on it.....

Just need the help and push direction wise.

Thanks,
NH

RamTitan

Silver

Post by RamTitan » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:18 pm

Need Help wrote:Thanks Ramtitan,

Currently temp/contract employee. actively seeking employment. Using my time wisely to focused to get this going. and yes, I have really just started this process.
Had two books that I just cracked open to at least give my self a jump start - lsat for dummies and a barrons passkey book that I bought from barnes and noble.

after I go through those just to even see what it is all about, I will take a stab at the diagnostic.

Again I am very appreciative to all. Just need to change industry and get out of this rut and go into something that I am passionate about and have been since I rcvd my MBA but life took over and here I am BUT not an excuse.......

I am on it.....

Just need the help and push direction wise.

Thanks,
NH
NeedHelp, first, throw those books out; get the PowerScore bibles or the Manhattan books instead. Trust me, any other print resources (other than the official LSAT tests) are useless. Also, look up the 7Sage website - they have a ton of free content, and a forum with a lot of LSAT gurus who can help with questions.

Need Help

New

Post by Need Help » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:26 pm

thank you. have had them for a while now, still new and was in a bag that I finally took out when I knew I needed to do this. But will see if B&N will gv a credit for it.

Barack o drama gv some great tips on 7stage and the methodology as well as well as the lsat trainer I believe. I have the link to buy from amazon and will look it up to see if feasible.

thank you.

K

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post by Barack O'Drama » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:07 pm

Need Help wrote:thank you. have had them for a while now, still new and was in a bag that I finally took out when I knew I needed to do this. But will see if B&N will gv a credit for it.

Barack o drama gv some great tips on 7stage and the methodology as well as well as the lsat trainer I believe. I have the link to buy from amazon and will look it up to see if feasible.

thank you.

K

Seems like you got some good advice here! I still think If you are going to be working, even part time during your prep, I highly suggest getting at least a 7Sage Starter Course. Yeah, it is $179 bucks, but that is a bargain seeing as most courses will cost you close to $1000+ (You can upgrade at any time, too)
The average student who uses 7Sage sees an 11 point increase, and that is just the average! Which means tons more people see close to 20 (I happened to know plenty of them!)

Like I've said, after using both 7Sage + The LSAT Trainer, I'll never recommend anything else. I tried Powerscore, Manhattan, Kaplan, Princeton Review, and that Barron's Cracking The LSAT book I got for $10 at Barnes and Nobles, lol. Once I found 7Sage I started really getting "it" Everything sort of started clicking. Especially Logic Games.

Lastly, give yourself the proper time to prep. A year isn't too long, to be honest. I've been working/prepping since June and I plan on taking it in June 2017. My diagnostic was like a 151 or something like that, I forget, but in any case you should give yourself plenty of time.
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Need Help

New

Post by Need Help » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:48 pm

Thanks BOD.
All of your thoughts and suggestions to be considered.
Thought you were taking the test in December of this year?

So one year of study prep for you.....

Kudos to you.

bacillusanthracis

Bronze

Post by bacillusanthracis » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:31 am

Like others said, you can improve your LSAT score by working hard at it. Let me put it this way: my first diagnostic score on the logic games was 8. Yes, a whopping 8. But by the time I took the LSAT, I scored a 21/24. On the other hand, I never scored below a 21 for the reading comprehension portion in a diagnostic but tanked with a 13/27 on the test. Go figger.

Whatever the case, if you work at it, you can definitely improve your score. As for taking a class, I personally don't recommend it. I did all of my work on my own and was really strict when it came to testing. I timed practiced tests ruthlessly and put in a lot of hours.

And my opinion is this: your GPA is second in importance to your LSAT. Combine a decent LSAT score with life experience and you'll get into an ABA accredited school somewhere. Will it be Harvard? Nope. But if you want to be a lawyer, then you'll be lawyer. And that's what I would encourage you to think about. What do you want to get out of it? If your priority is what you want after you get out of law school, then the vast majority of possibilities will be open to you. Law school is temporary; it's what comes after that matters.

Best of luck.

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:56 am

Why do you want to be an attorney, and what kind of attorney?

Need Help

New

Post by Need Help » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:32 pm

thanks bacillusanthracis for all of your comments. will take it into account

pancakes3 - always wanted to but just never did it. got my mba got caught in the corporate world. corporate took its toll over the last 7yrs during the economic downturn and just thought maybe it is time to do what I always wanted to do.

still thinking between corporate governance or securities fraud if not defintely public law as i deal a lot now with the community and civil rights stuff etc.... including advocating for kids in foster care etc all on a volunteer basis.......

just to name a few.

Need Help

New

Post by Need Help » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:38 pm

bacillusanthracis ,

your thoughts on lsat trainer or 7sage?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “What are my chances?”